^D^

Problem in deleting.

I was downloading a video through torrents but stopped the download in between... now when i try to delete the file it doesnt delete... the explorer.exe always freezes when i try delete the file.. i tried restarting the pc.. i also closed the explorer.exe from task manager n tried deleting the file from the task manager bt the manager itself hangs.... n im sure the file is nt a virus coz i had downloaded the same file be4 once..

I was downloading a video through torrents but stopped the download in between... now when i try to delete the file it doesnt delete... the explorer.exe always freezes when i try delete the file.. i tried restarting the pc.. i also closed the explorer.exe from task manager n tried deleting the file from the task manager bt the manager itself hangs.... n im sure the file is nt a virus coz i had downloaded the same file be4 once..

Ok if you are sure it is not a virus or spyware then i suggest you download this software called unlocker

http://www.emptyloop.com/unlocker/

it unlocks any file which is in use by other programs if you cannot unlock it u can kill the process and stop it hopefully that should solve your problem

Update : i dint refresh my page the supreme has given the exact answer i thought off :D

• Like 2

Thanx for the advice ppl... I tried the unlocker.. Dint work wunfortunately.. So i ended up formating the whole drive.. The file is gone now.. But my system is runnin slow now coz of tat corrupt file.. Any suggestions?

P.S. I checked now.. the system is running normally... but it takes ages now to load a video file...

Edited by ^D^

i had this problem... its because of a corrupt .dll file... i was using VLC and it replaced a file when i updated so it used to crash... try uninstalling it if u have VLC or else any other external media player...

• Like 1

I use K-lite codec pack... i re-installed it... the speed improved a bit... but still not like before...

You say you formatted the drive ..........which drive .....? If you formatted C: drive and you did a fresh install of windows everything should be ok................Operating system Win7 ? Indexing on/off?

Have you done virus and malware checks on ALL drives?

I formatted D drive... nt the windows drive.. My indexing option is off i guess.... I use win 7... I scanned for virus using avg pro n for malware using malarbyte anti malware... the results were clean..

Few things to try D.

Do a system restore back to before this all happened. If this doesn't work then do then following:

Run antivirus and malwarebytes in safe mode.

If all clean then go to msconfig and see if there is anything that you can stop at startup.

Run CCleaner if you have it. If not, here is the link,

http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner

Look into your processes and and see what if anything is using alot of resources.

Uninstall anything that you don't use.

Defrag hdd

let us know.

The Defrag helped! :) why dint i thiink of it before! :P

Thnx for the advise ppl :)

No, defrag should not have done a thing to a newly installed OS that was formatted. The computer is usually at it's most efficient at this point. The file you could not delete prior to formatting would be gone after formatting and thus would not be the cause of your slowdown troubles...........unless there was a virus or malware on a thumb drive or other partition of the same drive or another hard drive altogether. What might cause a slowdown issue after a format and reinstall would be that the OS is not up-to-date (needs updates for windows and hardware drivers.

I would try using a service manager like msconfig to see if you have a conflict with 2 apps using the same service (dll). this will cause one app to work fine while the other app freaks out because a dll file is no longer tied to it, and of course, it causes the pc to lag or even hang. look at your services running AND look for replication, especially on the multi-media apps and codecs. it sounds like your codecs and possibly an app are the problem, and it can be hard to pinpoint it down because the same service will work on another app. I know its tedious work, but it's the only way to find it, especially if you reinstall all the same apps that you had before you reformatted.

I formatted D drive... nt the windows drive..

This is why the defrag worked. The C (os) drive was not reformatted. Only the D drive.

Glad we could help D

This is why the defrag worked. The C (os) drive was not reformatted. Only the D drive.

Glad we could help D

Indeed.... I read through the posts too fast! Not sure he would want to format D: Drive. I have rerely had noticeable speed gains from defragging, but I guess it depends on how a user uses his/her computer. I tend to place my pagefile.sys file on a different partition or drive and do that as well for much of my software installations too. The OS runs cleaner and faster this way.

• Like 1