Sign in to follow this  
mstang

desktop computer disk drive(c) windows xp pro

due to a program stuffup(by me) & then unable use restore etc ended up reinstalling xp on drive & installing the 68 windows updates to it. Up front now is the new xp program & of course disk properties also shows all my origional programs settings etc. what way can this origional info be combined. are partitions the answer(at this stage) or is it a case of copy files & update over time? the disk is about 70% full.please advise suggestions.thanks

Even if U copy the files over U still need 2 make the reg entry's. So U cant. Only if U might have a full reg Bak U might but I wouldn't even bother. What U could try is to reinstall programs & point 2 the partition that has the old install info. Then U will still have the old program settings or configurations. That's really the best U can do. Scrap everything else but the program folder. When reinstalling UR programs install to the old directory. This wont work 100% because some programs keep config info in different folders. Like some keep config files in My docs & other places Program Files, Program Files (x86), Program Data, User, ect. So U would have 2 trace down each install than move that data over to the new install on the C drive. I know that in XP U don't have all the folders i just mentioned but I think U get my point.

• Like 1

do what dirtylow said. i think u installed the os without formatting the c:\ .

to access "program file" you need to take ownership of the folder they are in. Make sure simplefile sharing is turned off then log in as an administrator and go to your old profile folder (C:\documents and settings\username) and right click it. Choose properties from the drop down menu - select the security tab - add your new username and give full control - click advanced - select owner tab - select your new username and click apply.

• Like 1

He reinstalled windows. Recover would have saved his reg and left operable programs. Any reg entries and any files put into windows directory or any subs are gone. The programs will have to be reinstalled.

BigD47 is right unfortunately. If the os has been reinstalled, there is no way possible for his preloaded programs to work. If the hklm keys and dll's are not properly linked to them, everything essentially becomes "orphan" files. The only thing to do in this case is to reinstall EVERYTHING. Sorry mstang, I know thats not the news you wanted to hear, but without those program "instuction files", the programs are dead in the water. If you had made a backup OR if you HAVE a backup of your registry to reinstall, you might have a chance, even then some of the programs still would not work without proper links to instuction files, cabs, runtimes, etc. Best thing to do to insure programs run the way they are supposed to, is just reinstall it all.

• Like 3

let us know if there is anything else we can do. Good Luck!!!

parker216

_

• Like 2

Sounds to me that your probably building a very "crash-prone" computer, attempting to reinstall programs over old ones and such.

I'd like to count the # of BSOD's you'll be getting after or during all this updating.

P.S. 63 MS updates is nothing. You will probably find a bit later that you have another 63, then another... You never get them all on the first try.