Sign in to follow this  
Tech 425

Snuffy the Seal

Snuffy the Seal pays dearly in ‘Shark Week’ promo

Campaign opens with a spectacular, albeit fictitious, attack on rehabilitated mammal—advertising genius or poor taste?

The Discovery Channel has begun to promote “Shark Week,” and it has done so spectacularly—at the expense of poor Snuffy the Seal. The accompanying video marks the beginning of Discovery’s ad campaign for the popular series, which airs Aug. 4 to Aug. 9. Watch and decide for yourself whether the footage is horrifying, hilarious, or mildly amusing.

The story, of course, is fictitious. There is no Snuffy and the news station covering the rehabilitated seal’s release does not exist. But the drama works perfectly for the theme: “Shark Week. It’s a Bad Week to Be a Seal.”

Writes Business Insider: “The ad is shocking, awesome, and effectively getting fans pumped up for Aug. 4.”

The Drum points out that “Snuffy the Seal” was trending on Twitter after the release of the ad. One of the tweets, via Conner Morris (@ConnerSaurusRex): “I’ve been an emotional basket case ever since I saw that shark kill Snuffy the Seal.”

Another described the footage as “advertising genius at its finest,” and we’re sure many will agree.

Edited by Tech 425
  • Like 3
  • Haha 2

Poor Snuffy :(  Muhahahahhahahahahahahahahhahahahahaaha it was only going to get used for a fur coat anyway....

• Like 2

Hahahahahahahaha.......... That was nearly as funny as my grandma swallowing her false teeth whilst trying to hold a fart in!..... but also relatively sad considering all those kiddies around!... Excellent marketing strategy if aimed at the right audience! hahahahaha.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Ok Shark Week is coming back to Discovery Channel, So I'm moving this to the top of the Fun & Laugh Section :)

• Like 2

I found funny the tale in Discovery Channel about coconuts killing more people than sharks... but who is actually interested about documentaries on coconuts!

• Haha 2