Saran999

What type are you?

For sure, nobody will incarnate a pure category, but rather will end up to be a mix of two or three, depending on situations or environment. But, how do you think about yourself? I have chosen an alphabetical exposition that do not infer any kind of values ladder in any sense. So, choose freely and don't be ashamed to recognize yourself :)  

Alpha: the male elite, the leaders of men for whom women naturally lust. Their mere presence sets women a-tingle regardless of whether she is taken or not. Once you've seen beautiful married women ignoring tall, handsome, wealthy, and even famous men because that ugly old troll Henry Kissinger walked in the room, you simply can't deny the reality of Alphadom. The guy who seems most at ease with women and can essentially marry or date any woman of his choice. In work settings, the alpha male may be a natural leader, exuding confidence. But he also may be contentious, demanding and difficult to work with. You are confident and your own man. You do your own thing and have complete confidence in everything you do. You have your self doubts, but you don't let it cloud your judgment and logic. You are well liked by almost everyone, and you just have an easy charm and swagger about your presence. Women are drawn to your charisma and presence. You enjoy being social and having lots of people around. You are a natural leader

Beta: the lieutenants, the petty aristocracy. They're popular, they do well with women, they're pretty successful in life, and they may even be exceptionally good-looking. But they lack the Alpha's natural self-confidence and strength of character. They're not leaders and they're not the men to whom women are helplessly drawn. Most men who like to think they're Alphas because of their success are actually Betas. Most Betas won't change their game because they don't really have any need or reason to do so. This is probably the easiest social slot in which to find yourself, since the Beta enjoys many of the benefits of Alphadom without being trapped in the Alpha's endless cycle of competition. The betas are wingmen, collaborative and conciliatory. In human terms, betas make the best mates. They do more in the house, and probably in the bedroom, because they know how to hasten the greater good. The beta has poetry in him, and a touch of youthful idealism. He’s sure of who he is, and not constantly trying to prove his value in materialistic terms. You are a born follower

Deltas: withdrawn, private, and to some extent, disaffected. Deltas are often ‘has beens’ who were confident, successful, popular Alphas in their youth. The lowest rung in the hierarchy of personalities, Deltas tend to be subordinates who are ostracized by society. Most of these men need a lot of assurance by society to the point of having little backbone to think for themselves. Sure, many Delta males are surrounded by "friends" and are good at get their fair share of girls by "wooing" them with some pop-culture nonsense (whether it's A&F-style gauche preppiness or poser hip-hop wannabe thuggishness), but that crowd and attention is more imperative for their self-esteem than anything else. Aloof, marginalised, resentful are the common traits of Delta type personalities.

Gamma: the dividing line between a Gamma and a Delta is that the Gamma genuinely believes in the Gamma reality to the very core of his soul whereas the Delta is never truly comfortable with himself when he behaves in this manner despite being thoroughly indoctrinated in it by his culture. You are sort of the "invisible" guy. There is nothing really spectacular about you. You are not a beta, but neither are you an alpha. Your personality and presence usually blends in with the rest of the room and you're just sort of...there. People like you are just fine and usually don't have too much trouble with girls, but all the same, there is nothing particularly memorable or remarkable about you. You are not a born leader nor a inherent follower, although you can take on those tasks depending on the situation. Not often talked about, but they are out there. Usually a Gamma is an Alpha Male that “grew up” and toned down the antics slightly and started being socially conscious and more of a team player. Or they started as a Beta Male that “grew a pair” and started bumping back on the rest of the world rather than just taking it lying down. Either way works as a route. Gammas use diplomacy but when required to they will respond with adept force. Mostly they are consciously aware of both their own natures, and the needs of women. They adjust on the fly to the situation, sometimes hard, sometimes soft.

Sigma: The lone wolves. Occasionally mistaken for Alphas, particularly by women and Alphas, they are not leaders and will actively resist the attempt of others to draft them. Alphas instinctively view them as challenges and either dislike or warily respect them. Some Deltas and most Omegas fancy themselves Sigmas, but the true Sigma's withdrawal from the pack is not a reaction to the way he is treated, it is pure instinct. You can often be even more powerful than the alpha or the omega male in social situations due to your ability to persuade and manipulate them. You are neither a follower or a leader but rather a wild card. Sigmas are outsiders to the social game, yet manage to win at it anyhow, confusing everyone else in the process. They are also adept at socially challenging and ridiculing Alphas, to their rage. Sigmas tend to be contemptuous towards the opposite sex, even if they desire them.

Omega: the polar opposite of the alpha male, but in a good way. Like the alpha male you are confident, intelligent and have a sense of charisma about you, but unlike the alpha male, you are completely your own person. You do not need anyone, and you can even be emotionally distant due to your complete self-possession. You trust few people and foster even fewer intimate relationships. Omegas do not care for leadership by others as they are perfectly capable of leading themselves. That which doesn't kill them can make them stronger, but most never surmount the desperate need to belong caused by their social rejection. They will avoid even betas, and tend to be the most evasive they can possibly be. Mating and intimacy might be something they desire, but they are the least likely to exert any necessary effort to change themselves or engage in any behavior that requires them to compete with other people. Omegas are not bothered by social status at all, or how others view them. They will sometimes let themselves go, become fat and lazy, because these things do not bother them.

So, how do you see yourself? Do you agree with this categorization? Let's talk about it...

I feel like I may be a bit of the Omega with a little Alpha type of person .

I'm confident in my abilities to get a job done and will take the lead after watching someone struggle too long .

I kind of keep to myself , and surround myself with the wife and kids for most of the time , good friends are very few that I completely trust .

I'm not too fat and am not Lazy , but I'm not a Fitness freak either .

I don't let things bother me so much now that I'm in my late 40's but there was a time that it was my way or everyone was wrong .

Maybe not so much Alpha or Omega as much as getting older :rolleyes:

Nope don't believe in putting people in little boxes...unless they are dead of course :) This is one of the major issues with the population, social conditioning. That is exactly what the post is. Read some of Carl Jung, especially about the universal collective unconscious, it will hopefully give you more insight into what has and still is happening in the world, on an unconscious level but still prevalent on a conscious level across the globe. ;)

Oh didn't I mention I used to be a counsellor and psychotherapist lol...I have now :D

smithy69er I get your point and I agree with you. But... a huge but.

Not putting peoples in little boxes is a must, but I think that using those kind of easy categories to let peoples create hypothesis on what's going on inside them may be useful. All of us have a plethora of actions/reactions to deal with, and knowing that someone has tried to categorize those behaviors, again, may be useful and funny, sometime, knowing that no box exist.

So, as I've said, don't think to those classes as strictly defined and all-pervading, but I look at them as a sort of guideline that may be funny to compare with. A sort of completely unuseful game that may push some people to think a bit more to themselves. That's it :)

And, as you mention it, I'm  a counselor too... sort of... but as you know, apart from some heavy a** absurd person that think that being a counselor means to be put in a 'rigidly defined box', there are no clear specifications yet for this activity, as there are no clear specification yet that clearly define human mind.

And, as you mention Jung, if you read through his works you may find hypothesis and doubts that do not push you to any kind of definitive conclusion on human behavior and its definitive genesis. There are hints, there are ideas, there are hypothesis, but no definitive explanation. So, again, I completely agree on the fact that there are 'no boxes', but I add that sometime, illusive boxes may also be useful to start to, not understand, but at least watch to try to, at least, catch glimpses of what you may be, beginning your personal path to self-discovery :)

So, perhaps some psychology studies and some PhD may help, but at the end of the day to be a counselor or a psychotherapist there is a one to one relationship that may, or may not, produce meaningful results that bring on the table your value as such. As, more or less, if you passionately love human beings, and if you have loved friends, we all are counselors and psychotherapists :D and not many of us get paid for it... apart the joy to see your friend smiling again

• Like 1

It is detrimental to try to counsel or use any kind of psychotherapy on a friend because one is too close to them, therefore, our human emotions will affect the relationship on a level that would only be seen in hindsight, rather than the dangers spotted by foresight. I've read many many books on the subject, they are only theories and thats where experience will bring about creating your own theory and your own way of working in the relationship with the client :)

anyhoo, yes it can be a bit of fun, unfortunately I don't "fit" into any of those that you have named above :) Apart from with my dog...he knows I am the alpha male of the home. I like being non-descript for a reason. I haven't and won't bow to any kind of social conditioning regardless of the situation. I'm my own person, took a lot of yrs to work through the stuff, some of it was hard, some of it was a doddle.

Overall though, I'm either misunderstood or people have no idea where I'm coming from and that can be such an advantage, some may see it as a disadvantage. There is no real definitive right or wrong :)

You are describing exactly what I think. Creating our own theory is the best way to act, as it's something that generate from yourself and that you are living everyday. So, I agree with you.

Anyway, no, I wasn't thinking to use any kind of 'technique' on friends or relative. Just some ol' and underestimated human warmth.

But now that you mention it, I see some Sigma signs that are glimpsing in what you are describing about yourself. And this is not about judging or putting you in boxes, as, if you read my Sigma definition between the lines, is an open category where everything is possible. Even if, being against something is often as strong as completely participate in it. Just in the negative side...

And, to be honest talking about myself, Sigma is my favorite type one :D...with some Gamma and Omega flavor in it... sometime when I long for something else that I just cannot describe yet... Definitely not Alpha... LOL!