Tech 425

Zanzibar: Acid attack on two British women

Zanzibar: Acid attack on two British women Volunteer Teachers

AcidAttack.jpg

Zanzibar, Tanzania (CNN) -- Two British women were injured in an acid attack carried out by two men on a motorcycle on the east African island of Zanzibar, local police said Thursday.

The women, who were attacked in Stone Town, the island's historic center, had been working as volunteer teachers on the island, travel firm i-to-i Travel said.

Stone Town is a UNESCO World Heritage Site popular with tourists.

The attack occurred Wednesday night as the women were walking unaccompanied along a street, said police Cmdr. Muccadam Khamis.

The attackers, who did not take anything from their victims, left the scene on the motorbike, he said.

The women were given first aid treatment at a local medical center before British consular officials helped them reach a hospital in the city of Dar es Salaam, on the Tanzanian mainland, he said.

A Foreign Office spokesman said: "We are concerned to hear of an attack on two British nationals in Zanzibar on 7 August. We are providing consular assistance and are in contact with the Tanzanian authorities."

Acid attack victim fights for justice

The women, who were in the final week of their trip when they were attacked, have been discharged from the hospital in Dar es Salaam, i-to-i Travel said in a statement.

The company is working to support the women, who are both from London, and assist their return home, it said.

The women are expected to fly out from Zanzibar on Thursday, diplomatic sources told CNN.

"The motive for the incident is as yet not known and we will await the report from the local authorities in Zanzibar before any comment can be made," the i-to-i Travel statement said.

Russia's Bolshoi Ballet director may lose sight after acid attack

"The safety of our customers is of paramount importance to us and our own investigation will be launched as soon as it is possible to do so."

i-to-i Travel says it aims to provide young travelers with "meaningful travel trips" and life-changing experiences by placing them as volunteers with community projects overseas.

Its website advertises trips lasting from two to eight weeks teaching English in Stone Town.

Yes CyberAbC33 this is Very Very Sad :(

I would hang these two guys by there Toe Nails

And, we still don't know the motivations that pushed those two 'persons' to perform this insanity. This is even more astonishing. I think that, after all this horror, at least one may ask 'WHY?'

There can really be no way to justify this kind of an attack on anyone . 

They will be scared for life both mentally and physically , and I hope they put the attackers away for a long time !

Justifying? No, please don't misunderstand me. This is not about justifying, this is about understanding, even if it's still insane. And if you understand, if you comprehend, you may better search and remove the ones that have done such insane acts. Think about terrorism. It's with comprehension that comes knowledge, and it's with knowledge that comes results. Otherwise, the only option you may have is to fear, and I find this unacceptable.

• Like 1

I see your point there .

But sometimes there are just some Crazies among Us that we can never understand their actions or thoughts , and the more we try the more time we waste on those people and not help the ones that can be helped .

You know ramoine, perhaps my different behavior comes from the fact that I don't believe in 'Crazies', as a category to be compared against 'Normal' peoples. So, I start my analysis from a different point of view, where I see every action coming from choices and thoughts, even if those thoughts are, apparently, completely far from what I think I am.

And, as those kind of horrible actions are not isolated and limited to 'far and exotic' countries, my big 'WHY' keeps growing. This is not the first time that something like this happens. Is absurd, horrible, insane.... please help me to add more negative adjectives to this, but it's true.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acid_throwing

and, please, have a look at the 'Epidemiology' section on the provided link. 

So, I think that understanding still a must. Not a pleasant task, but must be done to avoid that others may meet the same destiny. And, even if I stop by the victims and I give them my sincerely bleeding heart trying to help them as much as I can, I still look at the horizon to see if I may catch... something...

Saran999

Okay , I know this kind of an attack has and will occur many times and it is horrible . But even if you spend the time to try and understand the reasoning for the crime and the mindset of the person's involved with them , what have can be learned from any of it ?

People commit murder and violent acts everyday in the world we live in , and countries have spent Billions and Billions on researching the Human Brain , Mental Illness , and drugs to control the symptoms . The reality is that no matter how much time and money you put into trying to understand the Why and the Who , this will happen time and time again .

So how much understanding does it take to realize that there will always be some cruel and evil humans among us that will at the drop of a hat , attack their fellow countrymen , neighbor , relative or some stranger for their own amusement ?

No amount of understanding is going to change the way some people think , or correct a mental flaw in their thinking , some people are just plain Crazy .

Understanding why these men committed this attack will not prevent the next attack on the next poor victims , it will only explain why these two men did this .

History is filled with Mentally Unstable People , there will never be an explanation as to why they did the things they did , except speculation , which really means it's anybody's guess as to why they did terrible things .

This is not a case where I feel the need to understand and justify the acid attack on two people no matter skin color , faith , citizenship or their sex . It is an unwarranted attack that will leave painful physical and emotional scars on the two victims for the rest of their life .

We are looking at the point from two different perspectives. I can see yours, but it seems that mine is sort of 'unknown' to you, or... not self evident, perhaps. Let me answer straight to you, so perhaps you may better see my point.

Okay , I know this kind of an attack has and will occur many times and it is horrible . But even if you spend the time to try and understand the reasoning for the crime and the mindset of the person's involved with them , what have can be learned from any of it ?

I've learned how to track them down. And, if there is a pattern, I've learned how to track down a 'species'.

Pure hunting reasoning... nothing more. It's a dirty job, but someone must do it, do you agree?

Apparently they weren't the intended victims of the acid attack, there is also some sort of priest or something on the run. There has been spates of "religiously" (and I use the term so loosely that having diarrhea would be more solid) motivated attacks there recently.

So... at the end, was only an acidic diarrhetic accident? 'Oops, sorry, that wasn't meant for you'? 

Ok smithy69er, now you really scared me off! :(

We are looking at the point from two different perspectives. I can see yours, but it seems that mine is sort of 'unknown' to you, or... not self evident, perhaps. Let me answer straight to you, so perhaps you may better see my point.

I've learned how to track them down. And, if there is a pattern, I've learned how to track down a 'species'.

Pure hunting reasoning... nothing more. It's a dirty job, but someone must do it, do you agree?

How on this Earth can you walk among a city full of people and pick out the criminals ? If you say by gut instinct or the way they look , then that's not something one can ever understand .

Face it a person can just nuts without any prior history of harming another person or thing and since there is no such thing as a mind reader you can never be really sure who will do what , or when they will do it , if they do anything at all .

Profiling only gets you so far with very little results , because not every criminal thinks the same . If they all thought the same way and acted as such then most crime would not happen because you would be able to use a certain Profile for all criminal activity and arrest them before things go wrong .

This pattern you speak of in fact works when hunting animals , but they don't have the brains we do .

Here is my answer to you question  to me .

Example :     White Tail deer all raise their young the same way as do all wild animals . They go to the same fields to graze and the same streams to eat . It is really predictable behavior .

Now do you think all children are raised the same all over the world ?

Do all criminals come from a Broken home ?  Are they all influenced by TV , the internet , video games , etc. etc. .............

We have studied the brains of the ruthless , mentally ill , the genius , and the gifted . What have we learned that will tell us who will be a criminal , a policeman , the next Einstein , or the next Forrest Gump ?

The answer is that no two people are the same , and you will never be able to 100% predict who will do what or where or when .

We profile here in the U.S all the time and yet there is still high crimes and deaths every year , if the Profiling was working there should be very low rates .

Let's just agree that the Human Being is a lot more complicated than we will ever know in our lifetime , that's why there has never been a brain transplant .

:sun:  :cprocks:  :wave:

The failure of profiling systems depends on methods and approaches, not on the purpose and the intent of the profiling itself. That animals are different from human beings may be true, but only in specific situations and environment, as we still strive, as human kind, to push our evolution past our most basic animal instincts. And for this reason, there are compulsions and urges that, even if not precisely defined, may be at least observed and interpreted. If I fail my interpretation, this doesn't mean that the observation 'per se' is wrong. Perhaps I've been too fast to jump to conclusions. Perhaps I have missed something. Perhaps I must be more humble and try again, and observe, observe and observe.

I will be more than enthusiast to ban any kind of determinism in my observations, as I agree with you that there are far more variables than the ones that we may readily observe that cause a behavior or an action. I will remember and remember until the end of my days the Heisenberg uncertainty principle, as I'm observing a system in which I live, being part of it. I will constantly check my predisposition and my humbleness, and I will open up my mind and my soul to try to grow and evolve during my research, but I will still observe and research to the end of my days.

As banning the observation, and the possibility to interpret the data coming out, based on past errors and the innate complexity of a subject, will ban any kind of progress and is something that I do not subscribe.

Is like saying, ok, let's ban Chaos theory, or Super-string theory, or even the Relativity, and what about Anti Tumor R&S, or let's stop researching for an HIV cure, as in the last hundred years no one has ever got a valid conclusion and we have done so many mistakes....

Then, entering the psychological studies, for sure I must throw everything out of the windows. Thinking to the many horrors, and experiments and wrong prescriptions and errors and misunderstandings that still stigmatize this yet very young 'pseudo-science' (I readily admit this) that it's still thinking that chemicals may be a good solution to give happiness, or, worst, solve a problem.

I must, following what I've understood from your position, immediately ban any research and any kind of study on it.

I agree that human beings are complicated, and are even more complex than the topics I have thrown on the table, but where your conclusions will bring you? To the end of research?

But for sure I've misunderstood what you are saying, so please, may you better explain your point?

I never said that any research was useless , except in the cases of trying to understand why people do the things they do .

The problem is not that complicated to understand from my viewpoint .

You have a college degree and I don't so maybe that's why we both have different views to the same problem here such as the attack on these 2 women .

But the viewpoint I'm trying to explain is that No research or study of the human psyche has been able to show with any proof other than speculation , who will commit a violent act and who won't .There is no simple evaluation to determine if one person is more prone to violence than another . A psychologist can try to evaluate a person's mindset , but that all depends on the person answering truthfully and with no fear of recriminations . Not everyone will be forthright with their answers during questioning of their feelings and thoughts , so whatever information you may use to make a conclusion based on this data is really not anything than a guess on your part .

To be able to come to any conclusions as to why some people are more violent than others you would need to be able to look into their minds , as of this day I don't recall any Technology that can do this , So anything used to try to make a case as to whether Profiling works to deter any crimes is simply wrong and a waste of time and resources . Profiling may work with chimps or wildlife due the very nature of their being a much less complicated thinking life form .

Profiling was started as another tool to use for crime prevention , but what success rates have they had ? Well in my area it does not work too well because according to the local PD most criminal activity is committed by white males between the ages of 15 yrs. to 36 yrs. of age , so using that profile this would work out to about 65% of the city population . So would this mean that 65% of my town are criminals ?

You could add that they also wear blue jeans and T-shirts , does this get us any closer to picking out the bad guys ?

Profiling is not a proven science , nor do I think it will ever be . Counseling only does good if the person is 100% honest with their answers , and the Counselor is very knowledgeable  of the persons past history . So this too is still not 100% reliable to see what this person may do in the future .

College's are going to get grants to study anything they wish and something that will be lucrative for them at the same , just like Drug manufacturers that will make over 1000 different drugs for mental illness . The fact still remains that after all the money and research , what is left to understand ?  Most people who commit violent acts are individuals with willingness to hurt others and that's the only profile they all have in common .

So what to do since you can't walk through town and pick who is the good guy from the bad guy ? Well where I live we are allowed to carry concealed weapons for personal protection and that's what I do,  as well as try to teach my family to be aware of your surroundings at all times and hope things never go wrong but to be prepared if they do . Not try to be paranoid as much as be confident in your abilities to protect yourself .

I really wish there were a way to spot any trouble before it happens , but until then we all have to take care of our own selves  .

Ahhhh ,,,  what do I know anyway  ?   LOL :huh:

This has been a good debate Saran999 thank you for taking the time to respond :handshake:

Bill

This has been a good debate Saran999 thank you for taking the time to respond :handshake:

Bill

I feel the same Bill. Nice to meet you :D:handshake: