Saran999

How 'hackers' manage to 'steal' your logins!

We all know the internet is a dangerous place, where many things can (and will) go wrong if you visit the wrong sites with the wrong browser. But it doesn't end there..

So I downloaded a program called "Cube Desktop Pro 1.31" and after unpacking the archive, I had 2 files; a key.txt file with a serial number inside (no group release nfo), and a executable file:

99816531.gif

See the exe icon? Thats the icon microsoft uses for its cabinet (.cab) format. So it's a self-extracting archive (which can automatically execute files after extracting). Weird, since this should be a normal installer, not another archive.

So after opening the archive, I saw this:

24943532.gif

To me the crack.exe looks very suspicious and its also kinda big for a crack. Why would a crack be needed anyway since a serial was provided? Something is wrong here, so time to check it out! A peek inside shows us this:

cube2.gif

cube3.gif

I dont think I have to explain what is going on in here. And indeed, upon running the main exe file, it immediatly started the crack.exe which grabbed all my logins and passwords, saved it to a temp file in the default temp folder and then tried to send the the file somewhere, which -obviously- my firewall prevented. lol!

If I just ignore the crappy coding (they're surely not pro's), I must say this is kinda creative, since no anti-virus/spyware/malware/whatever will detect this. Technically its not a virus or trojan, and your anti-whatever will not see this as a potentional problem. I haven't done a detailed analysis, but the info in here already gives you an idea about the damage that can be done.

Also please note that the above is just one of many. There's lotsa crap like this floating around on the internets. Often with attractive words like *NEWEST*, *LATEST* or *FULLY WORKING* etc etc in the title to get you to download it.

So always be careful with what you download and from who! Even if it looks safe! icon_twisted.gif
(tip: download from respected posters ;-))

Also if you don't trust your download, you can upload the file to a service like

http://virusscan.jotti.org/

• Like 1

I have just installed  Bitdefender Antivirus plus :sun:

it found and killed a lot of junk on my x86

its working like a charm,it also has a virtual space browser built in for  banking sites ect.

cheers