oneoone

Best backup software ?

I have a computer thats on its way out so I need to back everything up.

Whats the best software for  this.

Cheers Cyberpheonix :cprocks:

I am going to assume that you mean back up all of the apps (and apps only) from your old computer. with that being said, I am going to offer you a list of products, then give you my personal favorites that are tried and tested by me. I am a systems/network administrator so I use these on a weekly basis, and I am very familiar with some of them.

Best Backup Software Top 5 - per PC MAGAZINE

1. ACRONIS Backup & Recovery - (The Very Best In My Opinion)

2. GENIE Backup Manager

3. NTI Backup NOW - (Dont touch this with a 10 foot pole! Trust Me!!!)

4. Paragon Backup & Recovery

5. REBIT - (I Dont know anything about this software.)

Top Disk Imaging Software

1. Acronis TrueImage

2. Norton Ghost

3. Paragon HardDisk Manager Suite

FREEBIES

1. EASEUS

2. GoodSync

3. AllWay Sync

Of all the Apps listed, my personal favorites are ACRONIS Backup & Recovery (APP Backup Software). For Imaging software, it's a tie between ACRONIS TrueImage and Paragon HardDisk Manager Suite. These Softwares will offer you the best in user easiness and capabilities. They are the 2 apps I use for the backup and disk imaging. You can find both of these here at CyberPhoenix by searching the Apps forum.

Of course, you can also use the built-in W1nd0ws back-up manager. Usually, manufacturers will include a backup app when they ship the pc. Check your old pc to see if it has such app.

NOTE: Once you have your new pc loaded with all of your apps, you should really think about using ACRONIS TrueImage to back-up your entire drive to a CD/DVD/HDD. It will save you a world of headaches later on, if or when you have to reformat because of viruses and malware. TRUST ME!!!!!!  Good Luck! I hope this helps you!

_

parker216

Tech Mod

• Like 4

:goodpost:  Thank you parker216.  Don't want to back up any apps.  Want  to dump all garbage and start with clean slate.  Data only. Format C:\.   Any further wisdom?  

cato.gif

• Like 1

Thank you for the post and info.

My " Work computer " is on its last legs so I want to copy that hard drive on to an external HDD and use is with my laptop, apps and all.

Cypberphoenix never lets me down. :cprocks:

then Acronis True Image is ***DEFINITELY*** the way you wnt to go. very simple to do, and will back up the entire drive to your external. its the best way to go. if you need help, advice, tips, etc. feel free to PM me. I will be glad to help you.

_

parker216

tech mod

Catman29 Im a bit confused, you want to totally reformat or you want to save data, then reformat?

• Like 1

Catman29 Im a bit confused, you want to totally reformat or you want to save data, then reformat?

Save all data prior to Format  :sun:

Then be able to find it afterword  :lol:

I do it all manually now.  Takes forever.  cato.gif

• Like 1

Ahh, I see! In this case I would just use ACRONIS Backup & Recovery to back it up to another HDD or Flash, DVD, ect. Then reformat your original drive. I cant remember, but ACRONIS B&R 'may' have a quick reformat operation built in to the application itself, you just run it from a disk. Dont quote me on that because I may have it mixed up with something else. But, you can always use a W1ndoze disk to reformat after your data bakup. Then, you set you HDD up with an OS and your apps, then partition off a place on the HDD and put your backup data there, so you can map it to your various apps that would use that data. Thats what I would do, and in fact, usually have done in this case.

P.S. - Word to the wise, back up and check that your data is readable BEFORE you format, 'cuz there aint no going back, buddy! Unless of course you make a Full Disk Image. Even then, I would check it out to be safe. Especially if that data is sensitive or important.

_

parker216

tech mod

• Like 1

I used to use Nero for making a disc image. It worked the best for me. I was reformatting weekly. It would replace my original image in under 20 minutes. Now with windows 8 I do not know what I am going to do. YOu can not use bootable images, Windows 8 kinda sucks IMO.

No one has mentioned the online cloud backup choices like Mozy, Backblaze, carbonate, and crash plan. Cheap as $5 dollars a month unlimited backup to free unlimited backup.  Lots of options now days for online backup and it is dirt cheap compared to a external drive backup or the hassle of multiple dvd disks.

Admittedly, it's my own opinion, but for me, online backups (what folks today refer to as Cloud solutions) are a waste of money and high-risk.

Why?  Thee reasons ...

First, you have to be able to get online to get to the cloud.  That requires not only a working OS on your PC but also Internet access.  I recently had Win8.1 crash on me and I was not able to boot into the OS at all.  Fortunately, I do regular image backups to a LOCAL external hard drive, so I was able to boot from the Macrium Reflect boot USB, point it to the backups on the external drive and restore a working system, in under 10 minutes.

Second, Cloud solutions cost money, every month, even if you don't use them for a month.  As to whether they're cheaper than an external drive, that's a matter of how you "cost" them.  I can go down to MicroCenter and buy a 3TB drive for around $100 USD. For the standard Carbonate rate of $5 USD per month, that buys me 20 months of usage, but since I've paid for the drive outright, I actually get to use it for as long as I want -- long past 20 months.  So for me, the external drive is cheaper in the long run.

Third (and I've left the most critical reason to the last), there is the very serious problem of information security. My most critical and sensitive data is not on a drive internal to the PC; instead, it's on an external drive that gets locked in a safe when I'm not here.  Paranoid? No -- just want that info to be available ONLY to me.  With Cloud services, you are at the mercy of System Admins who can access your data any time they want (I know, I was a Unix System Admin for years). That's presuming no one "hacks" into their systems -- which is easier than you think. And, when I worked in InfoSec, we learned that the most risk was associated with "insiders" -- folks who had become disheartened for some reason or other, and for a pile of cash, would walk away from the System Console for a few minutes to let someone else do whatever they wanted in their absence.  I don't want someone else browsing through my family pictures and videos, my email, and my credit card info; instead, I'd rather just keep that stuff locally on a hard drive I can lock up.

• Like 4

I am with Mark Phelps. Trust no one.....

• Like 2

I wouldn't back it up to a cloud service either...acronis or paragon...you could if you wanted use the windows backup program. Whichever of the better ones you decide upon will give you the choice of what you want to back up..without all the software if that is what you want.

yea....use  Acronis or paragon as mention, if  u still looking..cracks  open  if  required

Macrium Reflect is another good option for future references. I have used it with nothing but great results.