Saran999

This Is What Android Fragmentation Looks Like

We didn't get a new verision of Android at Google I/O, but it's not like there weren't enough already. As Apple pushes on into the beautiful iOS 7 future and brings the lion's share of its user-base along, there's still a lot of Android users stuck in a multiple OS-ghettos.

i9cRCKzSGUdJS.jpg

Apple's walking into the launch of its new iOS7 with a whopping 93 percent of users on the current operating system, with virtually everyone else just one version behind. Android on the other hand is almost an even split between current versions and the past two.

ibgEPKQwxEiF7K.gif

It's this kind of unified user base that really gives Apple an edge especially when it's diving into a brave new design world like iOS 7. Meanwhile, kids in the Android slums weep silent tears onto Gingerbread screens.

ibj4m1pdisdzRM.gif

What's wrong with fragmentation? DeGusta does a fine job of explaining how fragmentation screws over Android owners in terms of security and app development.

ilATXP7GusRcD.png

"If a security or privacy problem popped up in old versions of Android or its associated apps (i.e. the browser), it's hard to imagine that all of these no-longer-supported phones would be updated,"

he says as one example.

ibrocWEDkvoCHK.png

On the flipside, he notes that Apple iPhones are updated on day one of a major iOS release, simply because Apple enjoys a direct relationship with its phone owners. On the other hand, Android has to dig through unmotivated cell phone manufacturers and conservative carriers send an update.

"In other words, Apple's way of getting you to buy a new phone is to make you really happy with your current one, whereas apparently Android phone makers think they can get you to buy a new phone by making you really unhappy with your current one,"

DeGusta concludes.