Sign in to follow this  
refman

Windows 7 repair disk

Having problems booting an old ACER laptop, systems boots but then I get a blank screen...need a boot disk/repair tried microsoft to download theirs but no joy, no original disk to help me repair windows as I think there must be a corrupt file somewhere.....  any Ideas ????

Looks like you need to download a version of Windows 7 from here and reinstall from that

• Like 1

If you want to keep your computer like it was before you had this problem, you can download as Mr. Grumpy says and when you are finished with that and burn it to disk do the following:

Put the disk in and have your computer start using the disk (you may need to set your bios so your computer will boot with the dvd drive)

When the disk finishes loading, you will come to a page that asks if you want to install the program, don't do it yet (only if this doesn't work)

Look further down the page you should find a button that you can hilight to repair the installation push that and try to repair computer do to a startup problem.

If that doesn't fix it reboot the machine and reinstall windows with the disk grumpy told you about.

Good luck and let us know what the outcome is, we are always happy to hear back one way or the other, it helps the next person with a problem.

• Like 1

Yes Do what Mr.G and Captain Nemo said

Also so you know I have been using Hiren's Boot CD 15.2 for years as a Computer Tech, So you might want to try it.

I do have a command that you can use with the Windows7 disk, but I don't have it right this minute and can't remember it

(I will find it and post it here for you soon though)

• Like 1

This is what I have to do when we get power surge and/or power fail

boot to the Windows 7 Disk then goto repair - then click the "Command Prompt" option

Now in the Command Prompt window type bootrec.exe and press Enter

Sometimes I have to run bootrec.exe/fixmbr - This is the command I think you need to run

There is also the command to fix the boot sector - bootrec.exe/fixboot

This is the command to rebuild the entire BCD - bootrec.exe/rebuildbcd

• Like 2

Have you looked into TeraByte Unlimited? Me thinks it's something for everyone's future references. I have always had great results with this image/boot manager for Windows.  Another jewel I often use for issues and to which other Techs will vouch for is called  "DLC BOOT 2013 V 1.2"...truly a treasure in your arsenal of PC Repairing.  :)

• Like 2

as suggested above, I recommend you use Hirens Boot. With it you can boot your PC from a pen and run various tools to repair your PC or recover your disk data.

• Like 1