Sign in to follow this  
demonadark

Movie file size - Please Help (Completed)

Ok while taking all my dvd's ripping to my computer. Using Xillisoft I notice all my movies are 1-2 gig in size. How do you guys get ur movie files so small Sorry if this is a dumb question.

• Like 1

First of all take the last sentence off your request so you will get help. Sorry I don't know that much about it so I will let one of the Pro's answere the smaller size part of the question. But again take the "And plz don't say I have to re rip them all I will die" part out of your post. It is easy but you have to set it up before the rip.

• Like 1

Xilisoft hasn't compressed the rips, that's why they are all 1-2Gb, which to be fair isn't a bad size...I've ripped dvd's and they've been 4Gb + You could use Freemake to compress them, you'll need to change the settings a little

OK eatmyshorts how do I set xillisoft up correctly to compress them. I only have a 1g hard drive so with all the movies I have fills it up fast!

demon...I need to know which version of xilisoft you've got so I can install it and have a look....all ripping software works differently, it might be that the xilisoft doesn't actually compress the rips as efficiently as other software can. But I would need to have a look at it to find out for myself :)

• Like 1

okay dokay..I'll see if I can find and install that one and have a looksee. I already had a copy in my archives...ok, yep you can change the ripping settings of the dvd highlight each of the titles and then look near the bottom at profile, down drop list you'll see multiple choices of what format you want...iPad, general, etc etc if you highlight say general you'll have another menu come up and it'll have an even bigger selection....for example it'll have Mp4, AVI etc..once you've selected whichever format you want...and there are s**t loads..on the right hand side you'll see an indepth breakdown of the profile...if you look down to bit rate it will probably say something like 2000, well for starters, not many dvdrips are 2000 on the bit rate so lower it. Then, frame rate will show automatic..change that to 23.97..which is the usual frame rate in the warez scene for dvdrips. Do that with all the topics and then hit start..I'm just doing the original Italian Job to find out what the size is once its completed.

You'll have to tinker around with the settings because there are so many of them...its a bit trial and error tbh. Like I said though, you're better of ripping the dvds with perhaps xilisoft and then compressing it with freeview

The other problem is...if you don't have a very good cuda on the gpu or you have a small core CPU..it will take more time and I'm not sure how the end product would be, quality wise. I've got an eight core 8350 so it won't pose a problem for me and I've got a good GPU. Although, when installing the xilisoft you can choose to turn off certain aspects of it, like whether it uses all the cores...etc

Just been having a play around with it and ripping it with Freemake was definitely better...I got The Italian Job in at 758Mb Mp4 good quality but using xilisoft to compress is horrible. And that's from someone that has been encoding films for time lol

• Like 1