Sign in to follow this  
legriff

computer won't recognize pages security certificates

I have a refurbished Dell Optiplex GX260, xp prov2002,pentium® 4 cpu225ghz, 227 ghz 1 gb ram that will not recognize certificates. Cannot update to Google or Firefox or IE 8. will connect to internet through ie 6. msn browser pops up security bar. Have tried restore reinstall os from disc, same effect. can this be fixed, or is it fubar?

It sounds like you have some security program/s running that is stopping any changes to the computer. Check and see if some installed, if there is disable it and try again.

none are installed that I can see in control panel, even turned off windows firewall, same results.I might add, this was my mothers computer( she is 75), so there is no telling what she clicked.

Check the Control Panel uninstall a program and see if a AV program is listed. Also what Operating system do you have in it, XP, win7?

Well, I don't know what to tell you, there is a flag that was installed somewhere that the system checks before it allows/disallows updating. I would suggest what you have already concluded that you should reinstall windows. I would do a complete backup before the reinstall. I would also get the product code and have it ready for  a reinstall.

Sorry I could not be any help!

DON'T FLASH YOUR BIOS UNLESS YOU KNOW HOW TO DO IT!!!!!

I don't know why he has you worrying about the bios, It has nothing to do with software problem. I will check on it some more. Hold off. Have you messed with the reg files at all, or are they still clean from people tampering?

What is your main request, do you want to update your web browser, or change it to firefox and that is your problem, you can't or is it more than just the browser? If that is it remove IE?? as you default browser, and see if you can do that.

I am thinking that I may have over thought the problem that you are having, It may just be that you have your browser security turned up too high. That is if you are having problems that I now think you may have.

If so, open IE?? upper right corner, gear Icon. go to internet options check security, check to see if it is default browser.

• Like 1

not browser. changed bios clock and everthing works at the moment. originaly I needed help with ssl and security certificates. could not download browsers and pages would not update(antivirus and others),could not download much of anything. ie worked, but would not update. could not download google and firefox becaude system would not recognize certificates. changes bios clock and working again. thanx for your help and time.

• Like 1

Ya just gotta trust EMS :) I can build pcs in my sleep faster than most people can do it when they are awake ;)Strange how something so simple like the bios clock and/or date can screw things up if its not set right...aint that so captain nemo ;)

P.S. I never said nuffin about flashing bios just to check date and time :D Ye of little faith...one day just one day....this lunatic will be listened to ;)

P.S.S. you're welcome legriff

• Like 2

Go though IE Properties/Settings and reset everything to Default - I have to get onto my Mother and Daughter about clicking stuff

• Like 1

And if all else fails I've have found that Geeks Squads MRI 5.8.2 works well to reset/restore everything so that you have a manageable OS. (Especially Browsers). This type of issue often occurs when a browser was not completely installed or uninstalled.