Catman_29

Old HDD - New Box

I have an old box with a toasted MB and a new Box with a different OS.  I want to use the old hard drive ( I have done this previously with no issues on other machines) in the new computer so I don't lose anything, but it won't start.  Call me a noob, but help me out here.  Please!  :dash: I'm getting a headache.  cato.gif

Old HDD is Vista...  New box HDD has Win7 Home 32 on it.

Any thoughts?  No image available.  Old box dead.

• Like 2

I would add the Vista drive as a second hard drive and boot from the Windows 7 drive (Vista Sucks ;) )

When you are booted up in Win7 then you can go into My Computer and look/copy what you want on the Vista Drive

Thanks for the answer Tech, and if it were my machine I wouldn't be here. 

Problem is, it's not, and I would like it to boot up the same way as it did before meltdown.  Is there any way to do this?

Anybody?  One of you gurus must know how to do this!  I'm just a senile old man.  hr1VrH.gif

• Like 1

hmmmmm I'm not sure is Vista can support the new hardware, but after you turn the system on start tapping F8 and see if you can gointo Safe Mode

No hook up the Vista drive and see if you can F8 and get into Safe Mode

Will not start from Vista drive  :angry:

That's the issue  cato.gif

Tried to go into recovery and got "account disabled"

• Like 1

Sounds like you need to go into the Bios as the motherboard doesn't see the drive

The vista drive won't boot up because its already using the drivers for the machine it came out of. You will need to start up using the win 7 HDD and make sure the vista HD is a slave, then delete the vista OS if you have no need for it.

• Like 1

Catman I would also say ditch Vista as hackers attact old OSes more and Microsoft doesn't patch holes anymore on XP or Vista

Microsoft stop updating Vista before XP also

Windows 7 is alot faster and stable too

Just  copy  the  files  u need  from  vista and learn  the  new OS on the new   PC, which is  what  I suspect the issue  is...

Win 7, Win8   or  new  soon Win 10 are  what  yo must  get use  to....

If I read this right you Vista system is corrupt. You most likely do not want to boot it to your new rig. unless you are 120% sure it was not a virus that killed it. Best thing to do it hook it up as a slave drive ánd grab the data you want or need.