Sign in to follow this  
kenner

Networking Windows7 and XP

Hey all. I am trying to network 2 HP PC's with Windows 7 64 bit and an older IBM laptop that has XP Pro on it. I have Googled this and it just seems to difficult. Is there an easier way to do this? The 2 HP machines are networked but for the life of me I can't get the laptop to connect. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks.

You have to turn off ''HOME GROUP'' on the windows 7 machines and setup as''WORK GROUP''.

XP doesn't work with ''HOMEGROUP''

Hope this helps you.

I believe hustler1 is correct. Homegroup is specific to Windows 7 so xp cant understand it.

Setting up Windows7 with Windows XP networking.

C/P

First make sure both machines are members of the same Workgroup which by default is named Workgroup.

14s5km.jpg

On the Windows 7 machine go into Control Panel \ All Control Panel Items \ Network and Sharing Center then click on Change advanced sharing settings.

5rzpw.png

11rx75i.png

You will want to verify the following settings under Advanced Sharing Settings for the Home or Work and Public profile.

c5gr5.png

If you want any user to have access the public shares turn off password protection. This is located in Advanced Sharing Settings toward the bottom of the list.

s4qbuo.png

If you want to keep it enabled make sure there is a log in account for the other XP machines and they have a password.

2edtcib.png

Now if you go into Network in Windows 7 you should see your XP machine and the Windows 7 as well which in this case is Mysticgeek-PC.

2dtdpvd.png

To share the printer on the Windows 7 machine go into Devices and Printers from the Start menu and double click on the printer icon.

Next double click on “Customize your printer”.

In the Properties screen click on the Sharing Tab and check the box to share the printer and type in its share name.

wujv9v.png

If your XP machine is an x86 OS you can install Additional Drivers before setting up the XP machine.

w9brlx.png

To find the shared folders and devices double click on the Windows 7 machine icon under Network. Here you can see the printer connected to my Windows 7 machine is shared and also the Users Folder.

Image/Link Removed by Moderator...

Continue into the Users folder and Public to see the shared folders, here I also created a folder called XP Share just to keep everything in central location.

oupc2g.png

Over on your XP machine open up My Network Places to find the Windows 7 (mysticgeek-pc) shared folder.

qqbd6u.png

Double click on the Share folder to find a list of shared folders in the Public folder on Windows 7. If you have password protection enabled you will need to type in the username and password of the user account on the Windows 7 machine first.

1z18e9j.png

Setup XP With Shared Printer

To set up the shared printer in XP you will need to go into Printers and Faxes from the Start menu and kick off the Add Printer Wizard.

2h7don8.png

Now select “A network printer, or a printer attached to another computer” then hit Next.

Image Removed my Moderator...

np0ryw.png

Next select “Connect to this printer…” and type in the path for the printer connected to the Windows 7 machine and click next.

2e4vzh3.png

Now click Yes to the confirmation message.

rit450.png

Then click Finish the printer to install and complete the Wizard.

30bkyyx.png

In some cases you will need to install the x86 XP drivers for the shared printer because the Windows 7 drivers are not compatible with XP. When everything is installed open up Printers and Faxes to find the shared printer.

55f5zr.png

This should help you get started with sharing your files and other devices with your Windows 7 machine. When I first started I was able to see the printer on XP right away because I had a HomeGroup set up, but once I deleted it I needed to share the printer like you would for a workgroup. You might also have to do a couple restarts of the XP machine for it to see the shared resources on Windows 7.

Edited by iONik
Removal of Inapropriate images

Windows 7 is more secure than windows xp by default

To share a file or folder in Windows

In any version of Windows, you can right-click a file or folder, click Share, and then select the people or groups you want to share with. You can also assign permissions so that those people can or cannot make changes to the file or folder you shared.

If your network is Not setup

Network setup how 2

Step 1

ok you have to decide on password protect your files or not

password protect (sercure Mode)= a user name and password on each computer (same name and password for the users on all computers helps a lot) to log in and then have access to the files as long as the computer is on.

or open sharing (not secure mode) anyone with a computer on your network can access the files as long as the computer is on. No user name or password is needed

Once you have decided on how you will share your files, you can then make sure they are available on the network

Step 2

If your network contains computers running different versions of Windows, put all computers in the same workgroup

Let's assume that you've already set up the physical network itself. If you haven’t, see What you need to set up a home network.

After your network is set up, the next step is to fine-tune it so that all the computers can find each other—something you'll need if you want to share files and printers.

If computers running Windows XP are part of your network, it’s important to use the same workgroup name for all of the computers on your network. This makes it possible for computers running different versions of Windows to detect and access each other. Remember that the default workgroup name is not the same in all versions of Windows.

To find or change the workgroup name on a computer running Windows XP

1.Click Start, right-click My Computer, and then click Properties.

2.In System Properties, click the Computer Name tab to see the workgroup name. To change the name, click Change, type the new name in Computer name, and then click OK.

To find the workgroup name on a computer running Windows Vista or Windows 7

1.Open System by clicking the Start button , right-clicking Computer, and then clicking Properties.

2.The workgroup name is displayed under Computer name, domain, and workgroup settings.

To change the workgroup name on a computer running Windows Vista or Windows 7

1.Open System by clicking the Start button , right-clicking Computer, and then clicking Properties.

2.Under Computer name, domain, and workgroup settings, click Change settings.

3.In System Properties, on the Computer Name tab, click Change.

4.In Computer Name/Domain Changes, in Workgroup, type the name of the workgroup you want to use, and then click OK. You will be prompted to restart your computer

Step 3

Now make sure file sharing is turned on

This is a guide from Microsoft

To turn on network discovery, file and printer sharing, and public folder sharing in Windows 7

1.Open Advanced sharing settings by clicking the Start button , and then clicking Control Panel. In the search box, type network, click Network and Sharing Center, and then, in the left pane, click Change advanced sharing settings.

2.Click the chevron to expand the Home or Work network profile.

3.Select the options to turn on network discovery and file sharing.

4.Under Public folder sharing, do one of the following:

•To share your Public folders so that people on other computers on the network can open files in them but can't create or change files, click Turn on sharing so anyone with network access can open files.

•To share your Public folders so that people on other computers on the network can open files in them and also create or change files, click Turn on sharing so anyone with network access can open, change, and create files.

Click Save changes. If you're prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

I hope this helps you with your network sharing and setup

If you have any questions feel free to ask

linux

Microsoft help links:

File Sharing Essentials

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/File-sharing-essentials

Networking home computers running different versions of Windows

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Networking-home-computers-running-different-versions-of-Windows

Just use type this on XP in run if you are on LAN and you will be asked for Username and password of the windows 7 enter it and you are connected.

\\IP address
Example (I randomly selected the IP your IP is different from this)
\\126.56.37.79

Just use type this on XP in run if you are on LAN and you will be asked for Username and password of the windows 7 enter it and you are connected.

\\IP address
\\126.56.37.79

\\IP address
\\126.56.37.79

@fennfam, linuxuser, EscapedFromHell; Thanks a bunch!! Even I learned something from this. Appreciate it guys!!!!!

I had it working but now my laptop crapped out. It can't see my hard drive anymore???? Guess I fried my hard drive. Oh well.

Hmm not nice....but have checked this myself and have similar set up and changed all conventions myself during my set up, ( but forgot I guess) so you will at least know what to do, next time..

• Like 1

Network sharing between xp and win7 is simple if you choose type network type to be public from windows network and sharing centre on both computers and after doing that open my computer and in the adress bar type "\\name_of_other_computer-pc" and ther will be the shared folder of other computer on to urs pc..!!