Sign in to follow this  
sunday53

want to reset the 'time limit' in Windows Sound Recorder[XP]

Hello.

I am seeking some help with the time limit to the recording ability in sound recorder[XP Pro].

the standard[default]is 60 seconds. some of you may know this or of it.

Please, please, please, do NOT tell me or advise me or suggest to me, that I shud ''go get one of the 3rd party apps'' that will do the same thing w/o a time limit. If I wanted one of those apps, I would go get one of them. easy enuff.

The need to have the sound recorder's time limit set differently is the reason for me posting this request here.

I have looked as best as am able in the registry for a key[ or similar] to change the default time limit.

there was nothing in there that makes any relevant offers or reference/s or 'sense' :(

to the time limit that I could understand or grasp.

One option is the IDA Pro. 

the program enables analysis of the code within an app and thus manipulate/change the outcome or the functioning of a program.

I hear of a fair few ppl out there as well who want the recorder and want to use it 'exclusively', not a third party product. there is no sort or fix available/published that I could find so, am looking here. :)

what d'ya say...? any hope? :)

'many hands make light work'

• Like 1

To increase the maximum recording time in the Sound Recorder utility:

1. Make sure that you have installed a functional microphone, and then start the Sound Recorder utility.For additional information about how to troubleshoot problems that you may have with your microphone connection, click the article number below to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
    266677 How to Troubleshoot Microphone Issues
  2. Click Record, and then let Sound Recorder run for 60 seconds.
  3. After Sound Recorder stops recording, click Save As on the File menu, and name the file Blank.wav.
  4. To increase the maximum recording time in Sound Recorder, click Insert File on the Edit menu, and then insert the Blank.wav file that you saved in step 3. When you do this, the maximum recording time is increased by 60 seconds. You can repeat this step once for each additional minute of recording time that you want to add. For example, for a 5-minute recording time, insert the Blank.wav file five times.

To make Sound Recorder use the extended length of recording time automatically:

1. Right-click Start, and then click Open.
  2. Double-click the Programs folder.
  3. Double-click the Accessories folder.
  4. Double-click the Multimedia folder or the Entertainment folder.
  5. Right-click Sound Recorder, and then click Properties.
  6. Click the Shortcut tab.
  7. In the Target box, press the END key, press the SPACEBAR, and then type the location of the Blank.wav file. 

For example, if the target is "C:\Windows\sndrec32.exe", and the location of the Blank.wav file is C:\Blank.wav, the new line in the Target box is "C:\Windows\sndrec32.exe C:\Blank.wav"
  • Like 1

aye, I have come across this method['']...but, am in need of some serious recording time...ie, way beyond what is remotely, never mind  humanly possible with this procedure or way of doing it.

thanks though Shammy.