Sign in to follow this  
ispea

How Do I Create Windows Administrator?

How can I give my user account administrator privileges? I'm using Windows OS 8.1. Mine is the only user account on this laptop, but it appears it does not have administrator privileges. How can that be?

I keep getting blocked from doing things by messages saying I must have administrative privileges. I can't find any way to get those privileges.

I have been to Settings/Change PC Settings/Accounts. I am the only account listed there. I see no way to add administrator privleges to it. I see where I can add an account, but I stopped that when the first step was to give an e-mail address - that has nothing to do with making an account for this machine! I was going to see if I could create an administrator account - but if I'm not the administrator, surely I would not be able to anyway.

If I am the administrator - and I must be -- then why do I keep getting blocked?

I note, mine is a local account. It also does not have a password set up for it - and I don't even see any place to add a password on it, although I would rather not have one -- I'm just using this at home, and it is much easier without a password.

My most immediate issue involves QuarkXpress 2015. I have installed it. I want to add the serial in order to activate it permanently. But when I click on "Edit License Code" in order to do so, it simply gives me a message reading:

"You must have administrative privileges to run the QuarkXpress installer. Setup will now exit."

It is already installed - so I don't know whay the message is talking about runing the installer. It simply gives that message and will not open the window.

So, how can I check if my user account has administrative privileges, and how can I give it such privileges?

Thanks for any help.

• Like 1

Running with Administrator Privileges

The first step in establishing which type of account your application needs to run under is to examine what resources the application will use and what privileged APIs it will call. You may find that the application, or large parts of it, do not require administrator privileges. Writing Secure Code, by Michael Howard and David LeBlanc offers an excellent description of how to carry out this assessment and is highly recommended. (This resource may not be available in some languages and countries.)

You can provide the privileges your application needs with less exposure to malicious attack by using one of the following approaches:

Run under an account with less privilege. One way to do this is to use PrivilegeCheck to determine what privileges are enabled in a token. If the available privileges are not adequate for the current operation, you can disable that code and ask the user to logon to an account with administrator privileges.

Break into a separate application functions that require administrator permissions. You can provide for the user a shortcut that executes the RunAs command. For detailed instructions on how to set up the shortcut, search for "runas" in Help. Programmatically, you can configure the RunAs command under the AppId Key registry key for your application.

Authenticate the user by calling CredUIPromptForCredentials (GUI) or CredUICmdLinePromptForCredentials (command line) to obtain user name and password. For an example, see Asking the User for Credentials.

Impersonate the user. A process that starts under a highly privileged account like System can impersonate a user account by calling ImpersonateLoggedOnUser or similar Impersonate functions, thus reducing privilege level. However, if a call to RevertToSelf is injected into the thread, the process returns to the original System privileges.

If you have determined that your application must run under an account with administrator privileges and that an administrator password must be stored in the software system, see Handling Passwords for methods of doing this safely.

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/ms717801(v=vs.85).aspx

• Like 1

Thank you. However, that seems to miss the question. The questions are:

*How do I confirm my user account is the administrator? And if it is not, how can I find the administrator account, as this is the only user account I find on this machine.

*How do I make my user account the administrator? If I can't, then how do I make an administrator account, and without having to link it to a registered Microsoft account?

*Is the issue that this user account is a local account, and it has no password set up? If so, what changes do I need to make, and how?

The explanation given above seems to go to how to assign privileges to a particular application. That is not the issue here. The issue is the user account, not the application.

Thanks.

EDIT: OK, in looking into this more, perhaps you were on the mark, perhaps the issue was with the application. Although it can be explained and addressed far more simply than what is written above.

In that case, the message given when I clicked on Edit License Code needed to be a lot more clear! The issue was not whether I was logged in as administrator. Instead, for some reason, I have to give administrator privileges to the application - which makes no sense to me. I found how to do so, and with that, I can now get into the window to Edit License Code!

I went to the Quark application at C/Program Files/Quark/QuarkXpress 2015/QuarkXpress.exe. I right-clicked on it, and went to Properties. In Properties, I find in the Compatibility tab that there is a setting to "Run this program as an administrator." To change that setting, I have to click on Change Settings for all users. In there, I could click on "Run this program as an administrator." I clicked that check box, and then hit the Apply button.

With that, and closing that window, I opened Quark, and yes, now I can get into the window for Edit License Code and do things there.

That makes no sense to me since the application can't act as an administrator. I take it to be a backwards way of saying: "allow changes by an adminsitrator." If so, that is what it should say!

So, I guess the application has to be given administrator priviledges. Odd.

Thank you. However, that seems to miss the question. The questions are:

*How do I confirm my user account is the administrator? And if it is not, how can I find the administrator account, as this is the only user account I find on this machine.

*How do I make my user account the administrator? If I can't, then how do I make an administrator account, and without having to link it to a registered Microsoft account?

*Is the issue that this user account is a local account, and it has no password set up? If so, what changes do I need to make, and how?

The explanation given above seems to go to how to assign privileges to a particular application. That is not the issue here. The issue is the user account, not the application.

Thanks.

EDIT: OK, in looking into this more, perhaps you were on the mark, perhaps the issue was with the application. Although it can be explained and addressed far more simply than what is written above.

In that case, the message given when I clicked on Edit License Code needed to be a lot more clear! The issue was not whether I was logged in as administrator. Instead, for some reason, I have to give administrator privileges to the application - which makes no sense to me. I found how to do so, and with that, I can now get into the window to Edit License Code!

I went to the Quark application at C/Program Files/Quark/QuarkXpress 2015/QuarkXpress.exe. I right-clicked on it, and went to Properties. In Properties, I find in the Compatibility tab that there is a setting to "Run this program as an administrator." To change that setting, I have to click on Change Settings for all users. In there, I could click on "Run this program as an administrator." I clicked that check box, and then hit the Apply button.

With that, and closing that window, I opened Quark, and yes, now I can get into the window for Edit License Code and do things there.

That makes no sense to me since the application can't act as an administrator. I take it to be a backwards way of saying: "allow changes by an adminsitrator." If so, that is what it should say!

So, I guess the application has to be given administrator priviledges. Odd.

Good evening dear member there there's two way to view your post and I'll get to the point here :
disconnect cable and wifi during the windows installation an internet connection you will require a Microsoft login
very important for all user
 Kon-Boot is an application which will silently bypass the authentication process of Windows based operating systems. Without overwriting your old password! In other words you can login to your Windows profile without knowing your password. Easy to use and excellent for tech repairs, data recovery and security audits. Fast, tiny and gets your job done!

KON-BOOT for Windows.

http://www.piotrbania.com/all/kon-boot/
https://youtu.be/C2wV2ZijxB0

:handshake:

• Like 1

First have you also tried just right clicking on the app or program and selecting run as an administrator?

Are we sure he is not talking about user control asking him for admin privileges to run something? If so you can turn it off this way

To turn UAC on or off

1. Open User Account Control Settings by clicking the Start button Picture of the Start button, and then clicking Control Panel. In the search box, type uac, and then click Change User Account Control settings.

2.Do one of the following:

•To turn off UAC, move the slider to the Never notify position, and then click OK. Administrator permission required If you're prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation. You will need to restart your computer for UAC to be turned off.

•To turn on UAC, move the slider to choose when you want to be notified, and then click OK. Administrator permission required If you're prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation

• Like 1

ispea: You are NOT the Administrator; instead, you have a normal user account with some elevated priviledges.  The REAL Administrator account is hidden from you -- this is by design because, if you run as the Real Admin, and your machine gets a virus or some other form of malware, there is nothing to stop it from infecting the entire OS!

If you Google for Unhide the Administrator Account in Windows 8.1, you will find links that will provide the instructions you need to (1) unhide it, and (2) then login using it.

But, given the risks, I would strongly advise against doing that; instead, do the right-click Run as Administrator option to run thing that need elevated priviledges.

• Like 1

Yea, if ya gotta  ask...then  for  sure: use the right click as Administrator before your required  function and make your self the Admin of your PC. Sounds funny, but is how it works.

• Like 1