richardsim10

Are SSD worth buying for boot?

Hi Guys,

I was wondering if it is a good idea to buy a SSD dedicated for Win7 to speed up my boot time. Since it is an emergent technology, I thought that maybe it would be too early to fiddle with those yet. My current specs are:

Mobo: S1366 P6T X58

CPU : Core i7 920

Ram : 6GB OCZ 1600 MHZ DDR3

Graphics : MSI N260GTX 896MB.

HD: WDC WD10EADS-00L5B1 ( 1TB 7200 RPM)

(This was custom-made)

I was planning to either only dedicate a SSD to win7 for faster booting, or completely remove my HD to replace it for a SSD. If I go for the first option, a 50GB SSD is more than enough. But if it is SSD, i would buy like 2 of 250GB each.

Thank you for your time,

Richard

Hi Guys,

I was wondering if it is a good idea to buy a SSD dedicated for Win7 to speed up my boot time. Since it is an emergent technology, I thought that maybe it would be too early to fiddle with those yet. My current specs are:

Mobo: S1366 P6T X58

CPU : Core i7 920

Ram : 6GB OCZ 1600 MHZ DDR3

Graphics : MSI N260GTX 896MB.

HD: WDC WD10EADS-00L5B1 ( 1TB 7200 RPM)

(This was custom-made)

I was planning to either only dedicate a SSD to win7 for faster booting, or completely remove my HD to replace it for a SSD. If I go for the first option, a 50GB SSD is more than enough. But if it is SSD, i would buy like 2 of 250GB each.

Thank you for your time,

Richard

How much time do you think you will gain? Sure SD is almost instant, since no moving parts, but after that ?? Making a comparison between SSDs and ordinary (spinning) HDD is difficult. Normal HDD are focused on finding the performance aspects where they are weak, such as rotational latency time and seek time. As SSDs do not spin, or seek, they may show huge superiority in these tests. However, SSDs have challenges with mixed reads and writes, and their performance may degrade over time. SSD testing must start a full full disk, as the new and empty (fresh out of the box) disk may have much better write performance than it would show after use or when data is being added.

Most advantages of solid-state disks over normal hard drives come from the characteristic of data being accessed completely electronically instead of an electro-mechanical machine. On the other hand, normal hard drives currently win by offering much more capacity for the same price.

Gains to me are in part, SSDs have no moving parts and make no sound , so with no moving parts virtually eliminates mechanical breakdowns and do not require any cooling maintenance.

If you absolutely need this, then why not!

• Like 1

How much time do you think you will gain? Sure SD is almost instant, since no moving parts, but after that ?? Making a comparison between SSDs and ordinary (spinning) HDD is difficult. Normal HDD are focused on finding the performance aspects where they are weak, such as rotational latency time and seek time. As SSDs do not spin, or seek, they may show huge superiority in these tests. However, SSDs have challenges with mixed reads and writes, and their performance may degrade over time. SSD testing must start a full full disk, as the new and empty (fresh out of the box) disk may have much better write performance than it would show after use or when data is being added.

Most advantages of solid-state disks over normal hard drives come from the characteristic of data being accessed completely electronically instead of an electro-mechanical machine. On the other hand, normal hard drives currently win by offering much more capacity for the same price.

Gains to me are in part, SSDs have no moving parts and make no sound , so with no moving parts virtually eliminates mechanical breakdowns and do not require any cooling maintenance.

If you absolutely need this, then why not!

If you don't mind spending the extra money for an SSD then yes, buy one. I have had mine for approx 3 months now and absolutely love it. My boot up time is at least a 1/3 of what my 7200 rpm HHD is. Programs that are installed on SSD load almost instantly. Games run much better on them also. I currently have a 128 gig Crucial M4 sata3 backward to sata2 and 500 gig 7200 rpm for storage. My Windows Experience Index on SSD is 7.7 where the HHD was 5.9. You will not be disappointed if you buy a SSD.

fennfam3

If you don't mind spending the extra money for an SSD then yes, buy one. I have had mine for approx 3 months now and absolutely love it. My boot up time is at least a 1/3 of what my 7200 rpm HHD is. Programs that are installed on SSD load almost instantly. Games run much better on them also. I currently have a 128 gig Crucial M4 sata3 backward to sata2 and 500 gig 7200 rpm for storage. My Windows Experience Index on SSD is 7.7 where the HHD was 5.9. You will not be disappointed if you buy a SSD.

fennfam3

Absolutelly!!

A SSD is nowdays the best and most noticeable upgrade you can make.

You'll probably wont see much of a difference going from core2duo to spankin new core i7 in day to day use, but you will see the speedup going from hdd to ssd.

Absolutelly!!

You'll probably wont see much of a difference going from core2duo to spankin new core i7 in day to day use, but you will see the speedup going from hdd to ssd.

Absolutelly!!

I've already done the same ... but in a laptop. Haven't had time to test it, though, so I can't report on speed improvements yet.

Whether the boot will be "instantaneous", I will have to wait to see -- but it should be a lot shorter.

You might want to look into downloading SSD Life Pro from the Windows Applications section (if it's still there). That will allow you to monitor and tune the SSD performance. Haven't tried it yet myself, so don't have any advice to provide.

I've already done the same ... but in a laptop. Haven't had time to test it, though, so I can't report on speed improvements yet.

Whether the boot will be "instantaneous", I will have to wait to see -- but it should be a lot shorter.

You might want to look into downloading SSD Life Pro from the Windows Applications section (if it's still there). That will allow you to monitor and tune the SSD performance. Haven't tried it yet myself, so don't have any advice to provide.

i have added ssd drives to a custom pc i built and also added one to my laptop,they are well worth the money,make sure you choose ahci in bios before installing and turn system restore off,windows 7 will enable trim support so you should not ever use disc defrag.the speed increase you gain on everything from boot up to opening and running programs is very noticeable,wei scrores my ssd drives at 7.7 where a normal hd will never top 5.9.

i have added ssd drives to a custom pc i built and also added one to my laptop,they are well worth the money,make sure you choose ahci in bios before installing and turn system restore off,windows 7 will enable trim support so you should not ever use disc defrag.the speed increase you gain on everything from boot up to opening and running programs is very noticeable,wei scrores my ssd drives at 7.7 where a normal hd will never top 5.9.

Doesn't look like it is in the windows applications section or at least I couldn't find it. here is the link to SSDlife site. They offer a freeware version. Just in case anyone is interested. If I can find a Pro version out there somewhere then I will post it in windows applications.

http://ssd-life.com/eng/compare-versions.html

Doesn't look like it is in the windows applications section or at least I couldn't find it. here is the link to SSDlife site. They offer a freeware version. Just in case anyone is interested. If I can find a Pro version out there somewhere then I will post it in windows applications.

http://ssd-life.com/eng/compare-versions.html

• Like 1

all right guys. From your responses I guess the best way to go is to incorporate a SSD. I will get onto that. Any suggestions for the model of a good SSD?

all right guys. From your responses I guess the best way to go is to incorporate a SSD. I will get onto that. Any suggestions for the model of a good SSD?

Go Crucial. They have spent the most time and investment so far in SSD's. You cant go wrong brother!!