richardsim10

Are SSD worth buying for boot?

The cost difference between 50GB SSD and a 250GB SSD must be huge! I'd be inclined to keep the OS on the SSD.

If all you want is faster boot, you could load the majority of your programs and change the My Documents location to

the HDD.

Have tested this a bit. If you load windows onto the disk from a disk image, it only takes a few minutes - pretty cool. Windows boots in like 7 seconds. Also cool. Did run across some issues that caused me to decide to switch back to a regular HDD, but it has good potential. I also thought that you could probably do something that would have almost the same effect as adding more RAM - increase the size of your virtual memory and make sure that the page file is stored on the SSD. I would guess that it increases the speed of your machine close to or as well as adding more memory.

Is an SSD worth it, why yes. With a single OCZ, I get 520MB Read and 500MB write, then use junk WD blacks in RAID that only get 340MB read 300MB write.Without RAID the WD black SATA 3, get 140MB read.

Transferring a movie between drives, takes seconds.

There is one reason not to get an SSD, that is if you have a garbage ASUS that uses the Marvell 9128, you will never get past the SATA 2 barrier.

Boot times have been covered, very fast boot.

OS install, I can install win 7 in 14mins, and on HDD takes over 40mins.

I had been using 5 SDD drives, 1 - 40GB SDD is my remote server with 160GB Hard drive. SDD use boot os and little apps. the Webhosting using 1 60GB SDD with 2 - 320GB notebook RAID 1 level, and 1 - 64GB SDD Main server, and rest 2 SDD for my two Netbooks!

Honestly good reason I use SDD is boot time. :)

ATGPUD2003

If you could exclude as much writing to the SSD Drive as possible, such as where file are saved from programs, My Doccuments folder, and all peronal data, keep it on he non-SSD drive, then the SSD drive will last longer. Using the SSD Drive for writing data to continuously will kill it quickly.