Franythefly

Which Anti-Virus to use?

Hi there. Newbie here.

Oh body - which Anti-Virus to use????

I've been working on computers for a while and played around with various different flavors of Anti-Virus.

The one I settle on is Avast.

What I love about it:

It is free, totally, for years and years... (Yes, you can buy all kinds of add-on features which I don't care about!)

It's nice and small.

It has minimal effect on the speed of your machine.

Virtually no adverts (Yes, there is the occasional pop-up add for a new version every couple of months).

You hardly know it is there.

Appears to be effective... no viruses coming through for me.

Hope this helps you.

You can download it from:

https://www.avast.com/en-us/index

Frankythefly

Edited by Tech 425
  • Like 1

The above antivirus programs work fine for you, but I found that some of the websites I like to visit were blacklisted and I could not visit them, while I had my antivirus installed, also some of my downloads had files deleted automatically by the antivirus program, which defeated the point of the downloads in the first place.

I use emergency Kit Scanner which is free. It is not invasive at all.

• Like 1

Emergency Kit Scanner

Version 2017.4.0.7437 — Released: 05/09/2017
For Windows 7/8/10, 32 & 64 bit

https://www.emsisoft.com/en/software/eek/

http://youtu.be/Jov_gfe5y_w

• Thanks 1

I use Intego which you probably won't have heard of because it was originally designed for Macs which is what I have. All of the well known makes such as Norton do a Mac version but it is adapted from the Windows one. Adapted stuff doesn't work as well as purpose built stuff hence the reason I use Intego. It catches all sorts of crap but doesn't interfere with the normal operation of my computer. 

I have found MalwareBytes Anti-Maleware (MBAM) to do the best job for me.

I have used others, including Eset and Norton and MBAM did a better job than both of those at finding stuff and preventing it.

Kaspersky is Good and Nod32 is also, I've used both and never got a virus

I'm on the new Norton Security that has taken the place of Norton360 (I got a deal that I could let go) Norton has been working great and this new version is low on system resources as Norton360 wasn't. 

Kaspersky is Good and Nod32 is also, I've used both and never got a virus

I'm on the new Norton Security that has taken the place of Norton360 (I got a deal that I could let go) Norton has been working great and this new version is low on system resources as Norton360 wasn't. 

I remember back in the day when Dell would make their machines with half gigs of ram and then install 360. It was a miracle the machines ran at all!

• Like 1

Used to be 100% Linux user past 6 years, now I run 10% of times Windows for some work-related programs. Googled and hour to choose correct anti-virus program: Avast came up most often, but I fear a lot of it is paid advertisement. Also I have seen many companies to use Avast as well. So I choose this - although still It seems Avast is trying to pressure a lot of premium and free trial stuff which I hate. Because on Linux you do not get software to recommend or try to pre-install trial stuff etc  :o  This reminds me why I hate Windows and use daily Linux when I can.

• Like 2

I have used almost all the brands of antivirus and I think the one wich use less resources is nod32. 

The best freeware of all is Comodo Internet Security. It has a firewall as well.

This do a great work in computers and phones and you will never see spam and you will get free update forever. 

Give it a try and you will love it. 

www.comodo.com

Found out that combination of Eset internet security with Malwarebytes works great, but just to be safe I use NoScipt to block all scripts and unblock only those I need.

• Like 2

I find free Avira works fine and come with a vpn service.

but avg/avast not bad as well. forget M$ not trustworthy in my books.

Avg hates pirate bay  but has not blocked it yet