...M@x...

opening PC folders in Win 7

hi all,

hope someone can help...

have a unusual problem, after a M$ update, i am not able to click on a desktop folder & have it open.

i get the following error message:

"This program does not have a program associated." with it for preforming this action. Please install a program or, if one is already installed,create a association in the Default Programs control panel.

i have been working on PC's for 18 years fixing other ppls problems since Win 95 & i have never seen a problem like this.

after the M$ update, (no, i do not know which one, my PC does auto updates at 3:00 AM) & i saw the problem, i did a "Restore Point" but the problem still persists.

i am able to r-click a folder & choose the "Open" option & all is OK.

i currently have to much on my PC at the moment to f-disk & reformat, so i am looking for a fix.

i appreciate any assistance.

PS:

all my bookmarks are still there, but corrupt.

& yes, i did several virus scans with a variety of  programs

i am using current versions of of IE & FireFox
  • Like 1

I'm alittle confused as you said this "i am able to r-click a folder & choose the "Open" option & all is OK."

So is it when you click (Double Click) the app or folder won't start/open?

Have you tried the sys file checker: sfc /scannow

Maybe Windows explorer has lost its "file Association" or your user profile is corrupted

Windows explorer has lost its "file Association"

Try:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/950505/when-you-run-an--exe-file-on-a-windows-xp--windows-vista-or-windows-7
http://www.winhelponline.com/blog/file-asso-fixes-for-windows-7/
  • Like 1

I transfer everything I download onto 2TB hard drives. one 2TB as my original and one 2TB as my backup, so in the event of a hard drive crash, I have my backup 2TB to rely on and recover and restore my crashed hard drive, so I never lose anything and I don't rely on any cloud services and what that might involve.

2TB is the biggest hard drive size that Windows 7 will "see".

Thus, my PC runs with the minimum of stuff on it at any one time and remains quick and efficient, even though my PC's are upwards of 15 years old and originally were supplied with 80GB hard drives, I'm now running up to 1TB drives on them easily.

Shortcuts on your desktop which open folders on your hard drive might become corrupted - so why can't you delete them, go to the original folder locations on your hard drive and create new shortcuts to your desktop?

I have found that when I use a portable software application and I move the portable software to another location, without updating my shortcuts to my desktop, I have the same problems which you describe - so a new desktop shortcut is a quick remedy.

BigBenn

hi uk666 & bigbenn,

uk666,

not having problems opening/running .exe files with 1 click. (1 click setup)

all extentions are opening fine (.rar, ..zip., .txt, .nfo .avi, .mkv, ... ...)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

bigbenn,

my first PC has a 20 GB HD, (the largest you could get at the time) & 364 MB memory)

i also backup all programs (not HD image) on flash drives with large data storage.

if HD crashes, i know i can fdisk, reformat, & rebuild it.

my software & bookmarks are backuped on 3 seperate flash drives.

although clicking on a bookmark on HD or flash drive, gives me a error message, i can r-click a bookmark, go to "Properties", & copy the URL & paste it in the address bar of a browser, & i will go to that site.

i have been updating the old bookmarks & all goes well when opening.

i have accepted the fact that i am going to reformat the HD & re-install all needed software & updates.

this will take time & LOTS of reboots !

it is just a matter of when i want to take the time to do it (it will take several days)

PS:

if you are running a x64 bit OS (& your PC can handle it) you can use between 8-192 GB of memory, (depending on which version of Win7 you are using) if running a x86 bit OS, it can only handle about 4 GB memory

i am running a 500 GB HD, more then enough space for whati do.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

i thank both of you for all your help !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

[Fix] “This File does not have a Program Associated with it for Performing This Action” Error Message in Windows

Sometimes Windows users face a strange problem while running games, 3rd party programs or opening files. They get following error message:

This file does not have a program associated with it for performing this action. Please install a program or, if one is already installed, create an association in the Default Programs control panel.

It happens when "IsShortcut" string value for LNK filetype is missing in Windows Registry. It might be deleted by a 3rd party tweaking software or by you to remove the shortcut arrow from icons.

If you are also facing this problem, follow these simple steps and your problem will be fixed:

1. Type regedit in RUN dialog box and press Enter. It'll open Registry Editor.

Now go to following key:

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Lnkfile

2. In right-side pane, right-click in empty area and select New -> String Value option. Now set its name to IsShortcut

IsShortcut_Registry_Key.png

3. That's it. Close Registry Editor and restart your Windows. It'll fix the problem.

hi Rædwulf,

tnkx for the info.

about 2 weeks ago i ran a program called Registry First Aid 3 or 4 times.

it fixed the folder opening problem i was having, but still having some problems with bookmarks.

i will try your advice & see if it helps that problem.

i doubt if i will ever run across this problem again, but i am burning it to flash drive for future reference if needed.

tnkx again

UPDATE:

the IsShortcut value was already present in HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Lnkfile.

i noticed there is no value data associated with that value.

is it suppose to be that way ?

PS:

in my registry HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Lnkfile is listed as HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\lnkfile

(notice the small "L", not capital "L")