Sign in to follow this  
luisam

100 Worst Songs of Modern Pop Culture

What makes a song considered to be included in the list of "the worst"?  A piece of music needs to have been notable, popular, or memorable to be deemed the "worst ever", or it would be unlikely to top all-time public polls a few years after it was released. As such, a piece usually needs to have had a high-profile at the time of its release, such as an unexpected hit that was highly disliked outside of its fanbase, albums with poor material or songs that are most disappointing by artists. Scholarly accounts of the "worst music ever" are rare. Most polls or critical lists are light-hearted in nature, especially in pop music. Magazines reflect the preferences of their readers, and if polls are influenced by too small a group of readers or critics, they provide unreliable results. Most "worst ever" lists do not aim to take into account all music ever created, but are limited to certain time periods, styles of music, and geographical areas. Furthermore, individual tastes can vary widely, to the point where very little consensus on a worst song can be achieved; the winning song in a CNN e-mail poll received less than 5 percent of the total votes cast.

You might agree or not with the items listed on "Not in Hall of Fame" - www.notinhalloffame.com - 100 Worst Songs of Modern Pop Culture: I guess that the only "problem" with many of those "blacklisted" songs is  some stupid lyrics which might annoy people. I must confess that I don't care much about how deep or intellectual might be the lyrics of a song.  I even realized that some of the song listed were not in my discography and found them interesting and worth enough to download. So, I feel it will be fun to browse this webpage:

http://www.notinhalloffame.com/rock-and-roll/100-worst-songs-of-modern-pop-culture

Definitively it's well documented "worst..." listings.

For each song you have the comment of the poster, the link to the YouTube video and comments of registered followers of the website. You even can vote without signing in, selecting if you agree or not with the classification.

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 2

It seems like these songs listed by one person or there have some kind of editors beihd.

• Thanks 1

On 2/17/2019 at 11:30 AM, aabee said:

It seems like these songs listed by one person or there have some kind of editors beihd.

My only reason to post THIS particular listing is because it is linked to the YOUTUBE posts of each one of the songs and it lets you to express your own opinion, classifying the song. To get a worst song listng is quite subjective because it's based on opinions and not facts. Agree with you that vote count on some of these "worst" are rather low and leaves you with the idea that not enough opinions were considered to make the list. I repeat: you can vote without signing in, selecting if you agree or not with the classification.

13 hours ago, Rædwulf said:

ah man i luv Styx - Mr. Roboto.. :laugh2:

Agree with you- Mr. Roboto is one of the best productions of STYX but I repeat, I posted this listing because of its general interest.

Recently I was reading a report about The Reynolds Girls and their one-hit-wonder "I'd Rather Jack". In a public poll conducted by Channel 4 in 2003, it was voted number 91 of a list of the 100 Worst Pop Records of All Time. Curious..., because personally, I like this song (No, I don't jack and I like Fleetwood Mac). According to Channel 4's criteria, all of these records must have been released as a single in the UK, at one time or another, and have entered the official British chart at number 75 or above; so somehow they have it in common that they made it to the Top. Unbelievably, that means that all of these awful musical abominations will forever be recorded as having made it as "hit" singles. Probably you might be interested to have the complete listing so here is the countdown And I bet, you'll say for many of them: I don't agree because I like it.

No Title/Artist

1 The Cheeky Song (Touch My b*m) - The Cheeky Girls

2 The Millennium Prayer - Cliff Richard

3 Agadoo - Black Lace

4 Candle In The Wind 1997 - Elton John

5 Fast Food Song - The Fast Food Rockers

6 Mr Blobby - Mr Blobby

7 Because We Want To - Billie

8 Barbie Girl - Aqua

9 Achy Breaky Heart - Billy Ray Cyrus

10 Jenny From The Block - Jennifer Lopez

11 Orville's Song - Keith Harris and Orville

12 Look At Me - Gerri Halliwell

13 Itsy Bitsy Teeny Weeny Yellow Polka Dot Bikini - Bombalurina feat. Timmy Mallett

14 (Everything I Do) I Do It For You - Bryan Adams

15 Sacred Trust - One True Voice

16 Against All Odds - Mariah Carey and Westlife

17 Who Let The Dogs Out? - Baha Men

18 5,6,7,8 - Steps

19 Living Next Door To Alice (Who The F**k Is Alice) - Smokie feat. Roy 'Chubby' Brown

20 Anyone Can Fall In Love - Anita Dobson

21 There's No One Quite Like Grandma - St. Winifred's School Choir

22 Teletubbies Say 'Eh-Oh' - The Teletubbies

23 Earth Song - Michael Jackson

24 The Lady In Red - Chris de Burgh

25 My Heart Will Go On - Celine Dion

26 No Way No Way - Vanilla

27 Wannabe - The Spice Girls

28 For All Time - Catherine Zeta Jones

29 Mama - Who Da Man? - Richard Blackwood

30 Can I Touch You There? - Michael Bolton

31 The Birdie Song - The Tweets

32 Suspicious Minds - Gareth

33 Diamond Lights - Glenn Hoddle and Chris Waddle

34 Lucky - Britney Spears

35 Long Haired Lover From Liverpool - Little Jimmy Osmond

36 Believe - Cher

37 Macarena - Los Del Rio

38 Boys (Summertime Love) - Sabrina

39 Just Say No - Grange Hill Cast

40 Y Viva Espania - Sylvia

41 Unchained Melody - Robson and Jerome

42 Can We Fix It? - Bob the Builder

43 Fog On The Tyne (Revisited) - Gazza and Lindisfarne

44 Shaddap You Face - Joe Dolce Music Theatre

45 Chick, Chick, Chicken - Natalie Casey

46 Ice Ice Baby - Vanilla Ice

47 Touch Me (I Want Your Body) - Samantha Fox

48 Grandad - Clive Dunn

49 Puppy Love - Donny Osmond

50 Hooray Hooray, It's a Holi-Holiday - Boney M

51 I Will Always Love You - Whitney Houston

52 Dick-A-Dum-Dum (King's Road) - Des O'Connor

53 Girl, You Know It's True - Milli Vanilli

54 Out Of Your Mind - Truesteppers and Dane Bowers feat. Victoria Beckham

55 Mysterious Girl - Peter Andre

56 Back Home - England World Cup Squad

57 Every Loser Wins - Nick Berry

58 MmmBop - Hanson

59 Chirpy Chirpy Cheep Cheep - Middle of the Road

60 I Wanna Be A Hippy - Technohead

61 Don't It Make You Feel Good - Stefan Dennis

62 I'd Do Anything For Love (But I Won't Do That) - Meatloaf

63 We All Stand Together - Paul McCartney and the Frog Chorus

64 Star Trekkin - The Firm

65 Perfect Moment - Martine McCutcheon

66 Doop - Doop

67 We Are The World - USA for Africa

68 Give Me Your Body - The Chippendales

69 I Should Be So Lucky - Kylie Minogue

70 Cotton Eye Joe - The Rednex

71 The Floral Dance - Terry Wogan

72 I Lost My Heart To A Starship Trooper - Sarah Brightman and Hot Gossip

73 We Will Rock You - Five feat. Queen

74 Dirrty - Cristina Aguilera

75 Wind Beneath My Wings - Bette Midler

76 No Limits - 2 Unlimited

77 I Wanna Sex U Up - Color Me Badd

78 The Laughing Gnome - David Bowie

79 Love Is All Around - Wet Wet Wet

80 So Macho - Sinitta

81 American Pie - Madonna

82 Do Ya Think I'm Sexy? - Rod Stewart

83 We Built This City - Starship

84 Let's Get Ready To Rhumble - PJ and Duncan

85 Love And Tears - Naomi Campbell

86 Save Your Love - Rene and Renato

87 Saturday Night - Whigfield

88 Hello - Lionel Richie

89 Remember You're A Womble - The Wombles

90 MacArthur Park - Richard Harris

91 I'd Rather Jack - The Reynolds Girls

92 Vindaloo - Fat Les

93 Ebony And Ivory - Paul McCartney with Stevie Wonder

94 My Toot Toot - Denise la Salle

95 Ebeneezer Goode - The Shamen

96 Making Your Mind Up - Bucks Fizz

97 Do They Know It's Christmas? - Band Aid II

98 Rabbit - Chas and Dave

99 C'est la Vie - Bewitched

100 Spaceman - Babylon Zoo

Of course, it's question of who makes the poll. You can compare Channel 4's with the 100 worst by VH1, listed about the same time:

1 - Cliff Richard 'Millennium Prayer'

2 - Mr Blobby 'Mr Blobby'

3 - Teletubbies 'Teletubbies Say Eh-oh!'

4 - Aqua 'Barbie Girl'

5 - Eamon 'F**k It (I Don't Want You Back)'

6 - Las Ketchup 'The Ketchup Song (Asereje)'

7 - Blazin' Squad 'Crossroads'

8 - Bob The Builder 'Can We Fix It'

9 - Frankee 'F.U.R.B (F U Right Back)'

10 - Peter Andre 'Mysterious Girl'

11 - Gareth Gates 'Unchained Melody'

12 - Will Young & Gareth Gates 'The Long And Winding Road / Suspicious Minds'

13 - Joe Dolce Music Theatre 'Shuddap You Face'

14 - DJ Otzi 'Hey Baby'

15 - Afroman 'Because I Got High'

16 - Will Young 'Light My Fire'

17 - Mariah Carey & Westlife 'Against All Odds'

18 - Bombalurina 'Itsy Bitsy Teeny Weeny Yellow Polka Dot Bikini'

19 - DJ Casper 'Cha Cha Slide'

20 - Busted 'Who's David'

21 - Manchester United 1994 Football Squad 'Come On You Reds'

22 - St Winifred's School Choir 'There's No-one Quite Like Grandma'

23 - Hear'Say 'Pure And Simple'

24 - Vanilla Ice 'Ice Ice Baby'

25 - Vengaboys 'We're Going To Ibiza'

26 - Hanson 'Mmmbop'

27 - Michelle McManus 'All This Time'

28 - Whigfield 'Saturday Night'

29 - Spitting Image 'The Chicken Song'

30 - B*Witched 'C'est La Vie'

31 - Billie 'Because We Want To'

32 - Chris de Burgh 'The Lady In Red'

33 - Kylie Minogue I Should Be So Lucky'

34 - Baz Luhrmann 'Everybody's Free (To Wear Sunscreen)'

35 - McFly 'Five Colours In Her Hair'

36 - Vengaboys 'Boom Boom Boom Boom'

37 - 2 Unlimited 'No Limit'

38 - Sam & Mark 'With A Little Help From My Friends / Measure Of A Man'

39 - So Solid Crew '21 Seconds'

40 - Cliff Richard 'Mistletoe & Wine'

41 - The Firm 'Star Trekkin'

42 - Gary Barlow 'Forever Love'

43 - Geri Halliwell 'It's Raining Men'

44 - A1 'Take On Me'

45 - Mr Oizo 'Flat Beat'

46 - Bob The Builder 'Mambo No 5'

47 - Eiffel 65 'Blue (Da Ba Dee)'

48 - Five and Queen 'We Will Rock You'

49 - Girls Aloud 'Sound Of The Underground'

50 - Nick Berry 'Every Loser Wins'

51 - Rednex 'Cotton Eye Joe'

52 - Spice Girls 'Holler'

53 - Steps Tragedy'

54 - Aqua 'Doctor Jones'

55 - Glenn Medeiros 'Nothing's Gonna Change My Love For You'

56 - Doop 'Doop'

57 - Geri Halliwell 'Bag It Up'

58 - Robson Green & Jerome Flynn 'Unchained Melody'

59 - Babylon Zoo 'Spaceman'

60 - Lionel Richie 'Hello'

61 - A1 'Same Old Brand New You'

62 - Simpsons 'Do The Bartman'

63 - LMC V U2 'Take Me To The Clouds Above'

64 - Take That featuring Lulu 'Relight my Fire'

65 - Chef 'Chocolate Salty b***s (PS I Love You)'

66 - Cliff Richard 'Saviour's Day'

67 - DJ Pied Piper 'Do You Really Like It'

68 - Europe 'The Final Countdown'

69 - Gina G 'Ooh Aah... Just A Little Bit'

70 - Kylie Minogue & Jason Donovan 'Especially For You'

71 - Barbra Streisand 'Woman In Love'

72 - Color Me Badd 'I Wanna Sex You Up'

73 - Hale & Pace 'The Stonk'

74 - Martine McCutcheon 'Perfect Moment'

75 - Goombay Dance Band 'Seven Tears'

76 - Shaggy 'Oh Carolina'

77 - Tight Fit 'The Lion Sleeps Tonight'

78 - Billie 'Girlfriend'

79 - Bluebells 'Young At Heart'

80 - Emma Bunton 'What Took You So Long'

81 - Nena '99 Red Balloons'

82 - Right Said Fred 'Deeply Dippy'

83 - Steps 'Stomp'

84 - Wamdue Project 'King Of My Castle'

85 - Ace Of Base 'All That She Wants'

86 - David Bowie & mıck Jagger 'Dancing in the Streets'

87 - Enya 'Orinoco Flow'

88 - New Kids On The Block 'You Got It (The Right Stuff)'

89 - Outhere Brothers 'Boom Boom Boom'

90 - O1ide & Neutrino 'Bound 4 Da Reload (Casualty)'

91 - Paul McCartney & Stevie Wonder 'Ebony And Ivory'

92 - Spacedust 'Gym & Tonic'

93 - B*Witched 'Blame It On The Weatherman'

94 - Bucks Fizz 'Making Your Mind Up'

95 - Cliff Richard & The Young Ones 'Living Doll'

96 - Falco 'Rock Me Amadeus'

97 - B*Witched 'Rollercoaster'

98 - Tiffany 'I Think We're Alone Now'

99 - Jason Donovan 'Too Many Broken Hearts'

100 - Hear'Say 'The Way To Your Love'

I don't mean to discuss and analyze one by one these "nominations" by Channel 4 or VH1, may or may not agree with them, but certainly, I don't feel fair to include Tight Fit's "The Lion Sleeps Tonight". Tight Fit was a band created by record producer Ken Gold in 1981 with the idea of recording medleys and covers of songs, specially from the 60s, with session actors and singers; their covers are identical to the originals. (They reformed in 2008 and currently are active.) Like it or not, "The Lion Sleeps Tonight" is just a clone remake of The Tokens' version from 1961, by itself also a rather traditional version of this old African song. So, if someone should be “blamed” for the interminable "wimowehs…", blame it on The Tokens, whose version topped Billboard Nº1 in 1961!  They just misunderstood the Zulu word "Uyimbube": which means “You are a lion”. And of course looks they were influenced by Tarzan movies when included in lyrics “In the jungle, the mighty jungle, the lion sleeps tonight”. Today, even kids know that the lion is not a jungle beast. There are no lions in the African jungles! Tight Fit didn't add nor take anything to The Tokens' version but they reached Top 1 in the UK, for 3 weeks in 1982!

In late October 2016, British music fan Edward Carter compiled a giant list of 337 nominations for the worst songs of all time from responses he got to a tweet requesting fellow music-fan input. These are the 20 worst songs of all time, according to the readers of The New Yok Post, published in November 4, 2016:

John Lennon - Imagine

When it comes to debating the merits of John Lennon’s “Imagine,” the world definitely does not live as one. Lennon’s 1971 ballad was mentioned regularly, but Post readers’ opinions were split down the middle.

“I thought I was the only one who can’t stand to hear this song,” said Rebecca Reed. “I find it so depressing, and will practically break my leg running to change the radio station when it comes on.”

Raymond Smith agreed. “Thought it was great when I was a kid. I listen to it now and it sounds like it was written by a 6-year-old,” he said.

But Lennon fans defended “Imagine” with equal fervor. Adam Hendricks praised the “positive sentiment” behind the lyrics, while Deborah Lindo Zingg called it a “prophets [sic] message.”

Starship: “We Built This City”

When even the co-singer of the song, Grace Slick calls it “the worst song ever” (as she did in a Vanity Fair interview in 2012), it has to be pretty bad.

USA for Africa: “We Are the World”

The charitable intentions couldn’t hide what a stinker of a song it was. Prince knew it and, despite huge criticism at the time, wisely refused to take part.

Barenaked Ladies: “One Week”

Reader Heather Pink referred to this simply as the song “about Chinese chicken.” It’s not actually about that, but Barenaked Ladies’ one big hit is so heinously grating, it’s enough to spark eye rolls of recognition all ’round.

Bobby McFerrin: “Don’t Worry, Be Happy”

Righteously blasted in the lyrics of “Fight the Power” by Public Enemy, McFerrin’s whimsical a cappella hit also attracted withering criticism by reader Dave Richard, who regarded it as a “real steaming pile of c**p.”

Terry Jacks: “Seasons in the Sun”

Adapted from a Jacques Brel song, Jacks’ wimpy delivery and the cornball lyrics about a man reflecting on his life make it one for the pop morgue.

Berlin: “Take My Breath Away”

Not everyone likes the soundtrack to Kelly McGillis’ and Tom Cruise’s heat in “Top Gun". For fans of “Top Gun,” it’s the song that signifies the on-screen passion of Tom Cruise and Kelly McGillis. For readers like John Farrell, it’s merely “vomit-inducing c**p.”

Rick Dees and His Cast of Idiots: “Disco Duck”

A novelty No. 1 hit for radio DJ Dees in 1976, this maddeningly irritating hit marks where disco truly did suck.

Steve Miller Band: “The Joker”

Keeping classic-rock radio stations in business since 1973.

Baha Men: “Who Let the Dogs Out”

Fun for about two weeks in 2000, when it came out. The bane of music fans the world over in the 16 years since.

Piko-Taro: “PPAP”

In October, this Japanese comic made chart history when his 45-second viral hit became the shortest song ever on the Billboard Hot 100. It’s still long enough to be massively aggravating.

The Hues Corporation: “Rock the Boat”

Looking back, this early disco single feels so thin, it’s practically invisible.

Eddie Murphy: “Party All the Time”

Much mocked, but Murphy’s hit — written and produced by Rick James — is exasperatingly catchy.

Nena: “99 Luftballons”

Look closely, and “99 Luftballons” actually reveals itself as a song about nuclear apocalypse, but that subtlety was lost under the annoying melody.

The Beatles: “Hey Jude”

Paul McCartney famously does three-hour live sets these days. But two and a half of them is him singing the “na na na na” part of “Hey Jude.”

Bryan Adams: “(Everything I Do) I Do It for You”

Any marriage is deemed legally null and void without a playing of this song at the wedding.

Men Without Hats: “The Safety Dance”

This ’80s electro-pop track was always pretty lame — and its case wasn’t helped by the stupid dancing in the video.

Los del Río: “Macarena”

The dance craze that still rears its ugly head every summer.

Billy Ray Cyrus: “Achy Breaky Heart”

Cyrus might be cool again, but for many, that doesn’t forgive him this original sin.

Europe: “The Final Countdown”

The absolute nadir of bombastic ’80s poodle-rock. Now fittingly used in car-insurance commercials.

Desiigner: “Panda”

The Brooklyn MC’s mumbling No. 1 hit was a target for some confused readers. “The words don’t even make sense,” complained Jennifer Smith.

According to Wikipedia's resume, the following songs have been named by critics, broadcasters, composers and listeners as the "worst ever". Examples of sources include VH1's "50 Most Awesomely Bad Songs Ever" and Blender's "Run for Your Life! It's the 50 Worst Songs Ever!". Because of the nature of the pop single that developed in the 20th century, most of these entries are five minutes long or less.

"I Want My Baby Back", Jimmy Cross (1965)

In 1977, British DJ Kenny Everett named this novelty song as the absolute worst of a bottom-30 song listing done after a public vote. The single was a moderate commercial success but killed the singing career of its vocalist, Jimmy Cross, who failed to achieve any kind of traction with serious work afterwards. A parody of the teenage tragedy song trend which was popular at the time, the lyrics of the song feature a male protagonist lamenting the death of his girlfriend before finally joining her in her coffin. In the book The World's Worst Records: Volume One, music critic Darryl W. Bullock wrote that the track is "routinely considered the worst record of all time".

"MacArthur Park", Richard Harris (1968)

The Jimmy Webb-penned "MacArthur Park" is popularly held as the worst song ever written. In 1992, Miami Herald journalist Dave Barry conducted a poll among his readers who selected the Harris original as the worst track ever recorded, both in terms of "Worst Lyrics" and "Worst Overall Song". Barry commented: "t's hard to argue with survey respondents who chose it as the worst." This is despite the fact that it topped the music charts in Europe and Australia and also won the 1969 Grammy Award for Best Arrangement Accompanying Vocalist(s).

"Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da", The Beatles (1968)

"Loathed" by band member John Lennon, this track was voted the worst ever recorded in a listener poll organised by Mars. It also appeared in Blender's "50 Worst Songs Ever".

"(You're) Having My Baby", Paul Anka (1974)

The No. 1 worst song as voted by CNN.com users in 2006; even at the time of the song's release, it received extensive backlash from feminists for its patronizing celebration of pregnancy.

"Dance with Me", Reginald Bosanquet (1980)

A disco song with lyrics narrated in the style of a British newscast (Bosanquet was a news anchor for Independent Television News at the time), it was voted number one in the Bottom 30 by listeners of British DJ Kenny Everett in 1980.

"The Birdie Song", The Tweets (1981)

Voted the most annoying track of all time in a 2000 Dotmusic poll. The Clash guitarist m**k Jones also named it the worst song ever written (along with "Billy Don't Be a Hero" by Paper Lace), as did Simon Burnton in The Guardian.

"True", Spandau Ballet (1983)

"True" was named the single worst song in history by Guardian journalist Luke Williams and St. Petersburg Times music columnist Sean Daly. Williams had particular derision for Gary Kemp's lyrics, saying: "I mean, 'Why do I find it hard to write the next line?'. It's because you're a c**p songwriter, idiot." Seattle Post-Intelligencer critic Robert Jamieson called it the worst love song of all time. The track has also appeared in unranked lists such as the Houston Press' "10 Songs We Never, Ever Want to Hear Again, Ever", and NME's "50 Worst Pop Lyrics of All Time".

"Agadoo", Black Lace (1984)

Many newspaper and Internet music critics agree that this song is one of the worst ever. When it was re-released in 2009, many newspapers printed the headline "worst song

ever". It was ranked the worst song in pop history in a Guardian newspaper article in 2009. It was banned from being played on BBC Radio 1 for a period because it was not "credible". It was also rated the worst song ever in a 2003 Q magazine poll.

"Sussudio", Phil Collins (1985)

Critic Michael Saunders in the Sun-Sentinel named "Sussudio" as the worst song of the rock era, describing it as "insipid" and "indefensibly stupid". Guardian journalist Tom Service wrote: "'Sussudio' brings me out in a cold sweat... there's no colder or more superficial sound in popular music." In listing the track as the second-worst ever, Michael Musto in The Village Voice said that it "could have been the theme song for the Third Reich, it was that insidious and evil". Creative Loafing Charlotte writer Matt Brunson called it "the worst song of the 1980s, no question". The track has also been criticised for sounding too similar to Prince's "1999"; Mark Caro in the Chicago Tribune labelled it a "ripoff"

"We Built This City", Starship (1985)

Despite this single off the group's album Knee Deep in the Hoopla being a No. 1 hit, it ranked No. 1 in "Run for Your Life! It's the 50 Worst Songs Ever!" list in Blender, and "The 10 Worst Songs of the 1980s" in Rolling Stone. Penned by songwriters outside of the band, the track has been disowned by the group's co-lead singer, Grace Slick.

"Don't Worry, Be Happy", Bobby McFerrin (1988)

This song was named by Village Voice critic Michael Musto as the worst of all time, and it topped Q100 DJ Bert Weiss's list of tracks he would forever ban from radio. In the "50 Worst Songs Ever", Blender said that "it's difficult to think of a song more likely to plunge you into suicidal despondency than this", and also lambasted its "appalling" lyrics.

"Ice Ice Baby", Vanilla Ice (1990)

This track has garnered the label of the "worst song of all time". Spinner editors ranked it the second-worst track in history, while Blender staff placed it fifth. A Houston Press critic named it as the worst song ever to emanate from the state of Texas, and said it "set back the cause of white people in hip-hop a decade". The track was also said to have "ripped off" the 1981 Queen and David Bowie collaboration "Under Pressure", which Ice initially denied but later admitted to.

"Achy Breaky Heart", Billy Ray Cyrus (1992)

"Achy Breaky Heart" regularly appears at the top of "worst songs ever" lists. The track was named the worst of all time in The Independent on Saturday, and was ranked second in Blender's "50 Worst Songs Ever". It also placed first in a Sydney Morning Herald reader poll to determine the worst track of the 1990s, and was voted by Chicago Tribune readers as the worst song of 1992.

"Could It Be Magic", Take That (1992)

This cover of the 1975 Barry Manilow track was voted the worst song in history in a 2004 public poll organised by Diesel. NME reviews editor Anthony Thornton called it "the worst song in the world".

"What's Up?", 4 Non Blondes (1993)

Composers Carl Barât and Stuart Braithwaite named this track the worst ever. Peer Dean Ween said: "It's as bad as music gets... Everything about the song is so awful that if I sat down and tried to write the worst song ever, I couldn't even make it 10 percent of the reality of how awful that song is." Tara Dublin in The Huffington Post wrote that it is, "without question, the worst song of the 1990s". Gawker journalist Brian Moylan included the track in an unranked list of the "10 Party Songs We Never Ever Want to Hear Again". The infamous "Heyayayayayaya" lyrics in the song later became an Internet meme, usually accompanied with an image of the action-cartoon character He-Man.

"Mr Blobby", Mr Blobby (1993)

Blobby's self-titled Christmas release is regarded by many as the worst single, and indeed, song, of all time. It has been ranked at, or near, the top of various "worst songs" lists compiled from both journalistic and public opinion.

"Barbie Girl", Aqua (1997)

Despite being successful, the song is despised by many and appears on many 'worst songs' list, including #1 on Rolling Stone's "Worst Songs of the Nineties" by a reader poll and in NME's unranked list, "32 of the Very Worst UK Number One Singles of All Time".

"Life", Des'ree (1998)

Although "Life" was Des'ree's biggest hit in Europe ("You Gotta Be" was a bigger hit in North America), the song was widely mocked for its lyrics. The song, and in particular the verse "I don't want to see a ghost/It's the sight that I fear most/I'd rather have a piece of toast/Watch the evening news", has been voted as having the worst lyrics ever in polls by the BBC, The Independent, and the Herald Sun.

"Thong Song", Sisqo (2000)

Placed first in a Pioneer Press reader poll to determine the worst song in history. The track has also been labelled as sexist.

"The Christmas Shoes", NewSong (2000)

The song has appeared on various "worst Christmas song" lists. In 2011, the song was named "The Worst Christmas Song Ever" by Gawker.com, following a weeks-long survey of commenter votes.

"Who Let the Dogs Out?", Baha Men (2000)

Number one on Spinner's "Top 20 Worst Songs Ever".

"The Cheeky Song (Touch My b*m)", The Cheeky Girls (2002)

Voted the no. 1 "worst pop record" by Channel 4 viewers in a poll broadcast in January 2004.

"You're Beautiful", James Blunt

Voted by music fans as the most irritating track ever recorded in a OnePoll survey. Spike writer D. Sussman called it "the worst song in the history of mankind", and Gigwise editors placed it first in "The 20 Worst Love Songs Of All Time". It was also ranked first in Heavy.com's recounting of the worst tracks of the 2000s.

"My Humps", The Black Eyed Peas (2005)

Oakland Tribune music columnist Oliver Wang reported that the track is "considered by most critics as either the worst song of this decade or in all of recorded music history". Writers who named it as the worst track ever include Nathan Rabin in The A.V. Club, Laura Barton in The Guardian, Joseph Kugelmass in PopMatters and Shaun Bruce in The Stranger; Bruce stated that it "may actually represent the nadir of human achievement". The track gained an "overwhelming" first place vote in a Rolling Stone reader poll of the all-time "20 Most Annoying Songs", and its lyrics were voted the worst in the history of dance music in a Global Gathering survey.

"Laffy Taffy", D4L (2005)

Despite the song's success, many have considered "Laffy Taffy" to be among the worst songs of all time. HipHop365.com rated the song as the worst hip hop song of all time. In 2013, Bennett the Sage of Channel Awesome rated it the worst song to chart No. 1 on the Billboard Hot 100, criticizing the beat, flow and confusing title metaphor.

"Rockstar", Nickelback (2005)

Some critics have given it the distinction of the worst song of all time. The song was listed at number 2 in Buzzfeed's list of the 30 worst songs ever written. They said: "If aliens came to Earth and asked why everyone hates Nickelback so much, this song would be a perfect explanation." A 2008 Popjustice poll voted "Rockstar" as the worst single of the year.

"Baby", Justin Bieber (2010)

The official music video is, as of 2018, the most disliked video on YouTube. The song was also voted worst song ever in a Time Out poll.

"Miracles", Insane Clown Posse (2010)

CraveOnline deemed it the worst rap song of all time, and the most embarrassing rap moment of all time. The Phoenix deemed it the worst song ever recorded. The lyrics, most notably "fu**ing magnets, how do they work? And I don't wanna talk to a scientist / Y'all motherfu**ers lying, and getting me pis*ed" have been noted as the worst lyrics of all time.

"Surrounded by Silence", Design the Skyline (2011)

Released on 13 March 2011 onto YouTube by the band and critically panned after the group was signed to Victory Records. Many social sources and magazines credited the band as "the worst band ever" and the song as "the worst song ever", pointing out the song has no musical structure, is badly out of sync, has a lack of any sensible rhythm within their playing, has near-unintelligible vocals consisting of screaming, and the members' physical appearances. It was also voted the second worst song of 2011 behind Rebecca Black's "Friday" on AbsolutePunk's "Worst Song of 2011 (so far)" poll.

"Friday", Rebecca Black (2011)

"Friday" has been widely described as the worst song ever recorded, attracting derision for its weak lyrical content and excessively auto-tuned vocals. It became an Internet sensation, making it the subject of multiple parodies and ridicule.

"Swagger Jagger", Cher Lloyd (2011)

Critic Jan Moir described the track as "dire" and "the worst song in the history of pop". Missing Andy singer Alex Greaves also named it the worst track ever, saying: "Just awful. I hope most people bought it for a joke otherwise there's something really wrong." The song appeared in NME's unranked list, "32 of the Very Worst UK Number One Singles of All Time".

"Hot Problems", Double Take (2012)

Uploaded to YouTube by Drew Garrett and Lauren Willey who make up the group known as Double Take, the song and accompanying music video received highly negative reviews. Many have called it "the worst song ever", with some YouTubers proclaiming it to be worse than Rebecca Black's "Friday".

"Chinese Food", Alison Gold (2013)

An independent song produced by Patrice Wilson, who also produced Rebecca Black's "Friday". "Chinese Food" has been criticized as the worst song ever created and the worst song of the year by Time magazine. The song and especially the video have also been criticised for being racist due to the heavy Chinese stereotyping present in both.

I would like to add my proper selection of the most horrible song ever having reached the top positions, is The Trashmen's Surfin' Bird (Nº 1 in 1963) and Tiny Tim's Tiptoe Through the Tulips which reached, incredibly, a 17th position in 1967!

• Thanks 1

Muskrat Love

REALLY

Man I'm tappin my feet just thinking about that greatest hit. Forget Led Zepplin or Muddy Waters, when you have the "real" Muskrat Love brother!

Didn't she die from anorexia ?

Edited by spookn
a thought came
  • Like 1

sorry for posting twice. I'm not crying, I have some dust in my eye or somethin.

I used to listen to Paul Butterflied and john mayall. Forget that sgh*t!

I might start smoking pot again over this.

I'm lookin at:

The Ballad of Bilbo by none other then : Leonard nimoy WOW Spock singing

I think I saw Don Johnson tooo... man oh man

and,   Having My Baby

I gotta stop. I'm going blind and growing hair on my knuckles

What wonderful memories. I forgot just how bad music really was...

thanks for this

• Like 1

On 6/10/2019 at 1:33 PM, spookn said:

Didn't she die from anorexia

You mean Toni Tennille? No, she well and alive, is about 79 years old. According her bio, she hadn't done much singing since the 90s. The "Captain" died on January, 2019. As for Muskrat Love, has a nice musical score but lyrics are rather stupid. Well,  might sound fabulous a version of "Muskrat love" with Jimmy Page, Eric Clapton and George Plant! Just instrumental, please.

I'm not sure if I understand correcly your post, if you mean to include Leonard Nimoy's The Ballad of Bilbo and Having My Baby among those notoriously worst songs. If so, I agree with the statement but I'm afraid Leonard Nimoy shouldn't classify because that song never charted. Well, he was a great Mr. Spock but as a singer, probably he was mostly on Vulcano's Blues Billboard.

(You're) Having My Baby, it never was my favorite; it's one of Paul Anka's song I deleted from my discography because somehow I felt it was wasting about 5 Mb of storing space in my 2 Tb drive

As for Don Johnson, I don't really have any issue with Hearbeat. He also has a fine duet though not on my list of favorites, Barbra Streisand with Don Johnson - Till I Loved You. Might sound blasphemous but I don't like a bit the same song by duet Jennifer Rush and Plácido Domingo

You're) Having My Bab(You're) Having My Baby

Man, I don't know weather to be impressed or....

Music is like art, one persons three year olds pic hanging on the frig is the best in the world. There is no right or wrong.

Music is the only thing that can get past the gate keeper of the soul.

Hell, the other day I was tapping my foot to Barry M

enjoy

• Like 1

Sign in to follow this