Sign in to follow this  
uk666

Samsung investigates claims of photos sent to random contacts

Samsung investigates claims of photos sent to random contacts

Galaxy_S9.jpg

The contents of your phone's camera roll are a window into your life — where you've been, who your friends are, and whether or not you have a proclivity for dick pics. And, if a scattering of claims on Reddit are to be believed, that window may have just been blown wide open. 

A few Redditors are claiming that their Samsung smartphones — in one case a Galaxy S9+ — sent photos from their camera roll to another person without their knowledge. And while this nightmare scenario has yet to be confirmed, you'd better believe that Samsung is looking into it.

“We are aware of the reports regarding this matter and our technical teams are looking into it," a Samsung spokesperson told Mashable over email. "Concerned customers are encouraged to contact us directly at 1-800-SAMSUNG."

And even though there aren't too many of these unconfirmed claims, that doesn't make the stories any less chilling.

"Last night around 2:30 am, my phone sent [my girlfriend] my entire photo gallery over text but there was no record of it on my messages app," posted one Redditor.

"However, there was record of it on tmobile logs."

In addition to the expected horrified responses, a few other people chimed in to relate similar experiences. 

"Oddly enough, my wife's phone did that last night, and mine did it the night before," read one reply that speculated as to the cause of the unconfirmed glitch. "...When her phone texted me her gallery, it didn't show up on her end — and vice versa."

Assuming this did go down as the few Redditors described, it's a colossal screw up on someone's part. 

So maybe save yourself some serious potential future headache and take a little stroll through your camera app now — deleting anything questionable while you're at it. I mean, a few beach photos randomly sent to your boss at 3:00 a.m. is one thing, but we all know it could be so much worse.

• Confused 1

Sign in to follow this