Sign in to follow this  
uk666

Ellie Soutter: Team GB snowboarder dies, aged 18

Ellie Soutter: Team GB snowboarder dies, aged 18 

Ellie_Soutter1.jpg

RIP you little champion: Tributes paid to Team GB snowboarder Ellie Soutter as she dies on 18th birthday

Tributes have been paid to talented young British snowboarder Ellie Soutter, who died on her 18th birthday on Wednesday.

Soutter won a bronze medal for Great Britain at the 2017 Youth Olympic Winter Festival and carried the British flag at the closing ceremony.

Writing on Facebook, her father Tony said he was "so proud of the beautiful young woman she had turned into".

Ellie_Soutter6.jpg

Her father added: "This cruel world took my soulmate and 'Bessie' from me yesterday on her 18th birthday.

"Ellie, I will miss you more than you could have ever imagined. Rest in peace you little champion."

Ellie_Soutter7.jpg

Her close family is desperately seeking answers about why she wanted to kill herself. Her father Tony, last saw Ellie at 8am on Wednesday when he went to say goodbye before going to work in Les Gets.

He went into her bedroom to wish her happy birthday but she was fast asleep. He texted her later that morning but there was no response. When he returned to their home for lunch in Les Gets, Ellie was not there.

But by 6pm he still hadn't been able to get her on her mobile and it was her birthday. He also noted that her purse was at home. He called the police.

Sniffer dogs were deployed in the search. They picked up her scent at the house and police then began searching in nearby woodland.

It was 11.15pm when they found her. There was no note, nothing. She was somewhere you can hardly access. She must have just kept walking and walking. Police struggled to get there.

Tony will scatter Ellie's ashes on one of her favourite mountains in Les Gets.

On Friday night, family and friends had been due to attend a joint party to celebrate her birthday and her father’s, which falls on Monday.

Ellie_Soutter2.jpg

Ellie's career looked in jeopardy at the start of the year when she had to pull out of training and competing due to 'lack of funds'

Her father had set up an online crowdfunding campaign to help her achieve this aim, which had raised close to a quarter of its 20,000 euros (£17,800) target.

She was set to compete for Team GB in the junior world championships in New Zealand next month.

Earlier in July, she was named in the senior GB squad for the snowboard cross Europa Cup circuit, and was tipped for a place at the 2022 Winter Olympics.

Tributes poured in from friends and fellow snowboarders and skiers including her ex-boyfriend Oscar Mandin.

Freeride World Qualifier Oscar, who remained friends after she ended the relationship last year, said she struggled with “bouts of sadness” but would always seek help from family or friends. He said: “I think sport was the thing that gave her smiles. That was her happy place. I don’t think this has to do with her snowboarding.

“She would call me even after we were no longer together and ask for help in the form of talking about things. I wouldn’t use the word depressed. She was just sad sometimes. And she wanted to speak to someone who knew her. So we’d meet for a coffee and talk. But this time she didn’t call me. She didn’t call anyone.

“She had had an unstable period but she’d got through that. So I was so shocked when I heard what happened.

Eight-time British ski-cross champion Emily Sarsfield is among those to have paid tribute. "So sad to hear the news of the passing of Ellie Soutter. You really were an amazing girl," she posted on social media. "Such a fun team-mate, made me smile every day, cracking all the jokes and enjoying life to its fullest. I'm going to miss you and your amazing energy. All my thoughts to your family."

Ellie_Soutter3.jpg

Ellie_Soutter4.jpg

Ellie_Soutter5.jpg

Britain's 2010 Olympic skeleton champion Amy Williams said: "Such sad tragic news to wake up to. Thoughts and prayers go to Ellie Soutter's family."

British slopestyle snowboarder Aimee Fuller said it was "devastating news", adding: "We've lost a fellow snowboarder and a great inspirational talent within our small community."

Ellie_Soutter8.jpg

British Olympic Association chair Hugh Robertson and BOA athletes' commission chair Ben Hawes said in a joint statement: "Ellie was an incredibly popular and well-liked member of the team.

Soutter's bronze was Great Britain's only medal at the Youth Olympic Winter Festival in Turkey last year.

Ellie_Soutter9.jpg

Team GB celebrated her medal with the Twitter message: "Tears of joy and snow stuffed down her back."

Speaking after her event, she said: "I cried as I crossed the line. I was just so emotional as it hasn't been the best season for me and it's finally on the way up. "I even asked my coach to put snow down my back when I was in the start gate. It helps wake me up so I don't feel all floppy like a jellyfish. "I just hope this isn't the last medal I win for Team GB. My goal is to compete at Beijing 2022."

Ellie_Soutter10.jpg

RIP Ellie Soutter

• Sad 1