Sign in to follow this  
uk666

Wait For Me Daddy

Wait For Me Daddy

image.jpg

‘Wait For Me Daddy,’ by Claude P. Dettloff in New Westminster, Canada, October 1, 1940

Wait for Me, Daddy is a photo taken by Claude P. Dettloff on October 1, 1940, of The British Columbia Regiment (Duke of Connaught's Own Rifles) marching down Eighth Street at the Columbia Street intersection, New Westminster, Canada. 

While Dettloff was taking the photo, Warren "Whitey" Bernard ran away from his mother to his father, Private Jack Bernard. The picture received extensive exposure and was used in war-bond drives.

For a long time, the photograph was forgotten. It started to resurface on Remembrance Day in the mid-60s, and is often mentioned in the context of Canada’s most popular pictures. The city of New Westminster picked up on the fact that it was taken there and last month unveiled a bronze statue of it as a memorial.

Wait-for-Me-Daddy.jpg

Commissioned by the City of New Westminster, Wait for Me Daddy is a war memorial based on The Vancouver Province photographer Claude P. Dettloff’s iconic 1940s photograph, Wait for Me Daddy.

2018-10-18-183935.png

Father and son after the war was over.

Whitey’s dad survived the European theatre and came home in October 1945. Whitey grew up and moved to Tofino and met and married his wife Ruby in 1964. His wife Ruby, fondly recalls that she had actually known her husband for years.

Whitey’s photo “was hung in every school in British Columbia. during the war”, she said. “I saw him years and years before we actually met”.

• Sad 2

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this