Khokan

[SOLVED] Laptop cooling devices

Folks,

I hv a 64 bit i-7 HP pavilion dv6 machine and sometimes it gets a bit hot underneath. I hv tried to ensure the bottom of my lappy is clear from the table so tht there is no obstructions to the path of air circulation. Some1 suggested that I try an external cooling fan and hv zeroed in on the "Cooler Master Notepal Etgrostand"

Is this a right choice and will this help?

Thanks

assuming you mean ergostand and not etgrostand then yes it should do the trick. Anytime you can get airflow under a laptop then you are much better off. You may want to download a small program to see exactly what temps you are actually getting before and after the cooling pad. Also, always check to make sure that the air vents, cooling fins and fan are clear of any dust buildup.

Here are a couple of programs that you can try to watch your temps.

http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html
OR
http://www.alcpu.com/CoreTemp/

There are other temp monitoring software out there but these work just fine.

Let us know what kind of temps you are getting.

fennfam3

• Like 2

fennfam3's advice is good. you should first try and identify the source of the heat and a software that can read off of your notebook's built in hardware temp sensors is a very useful tool in this regard. in one of the notebooks i owned, it wasn't actually the processor but the wireless card heating up with constant torrent use that actually made the exterior of the notebook heat up. sometimes graphics chip is the culprit as the drivers fail to clock the chip down under idle use or in the case of the latter switchable graphics products drivers/bios etc. might fail to switch from the dedicated gpu (in your case the powerful 6770m if i'm not mistaken) to the igp in the sandy bridge processor causing excessive heat buildup.

one thing to note though, if you can physically figure out what part of the notebook's bottom is actually the center source of the heat that is being transferred onto the exterior and match it with the readings from the sensors, you can figure out how to solve the problem more easily since you will have isolated the component that is the main culprit.

• Like 1

Hi fennfam3 & uniw,

Many thanks for the help. I hv installed CPUID hardware monitor and some of the temp readings are:

Quanta 360 E - TZ01 (52 C/125F)

intel Core i7 720 QM - Core #01 to 03 - in the range of 51 to 53 C /123 to 125 F

Nvidia Geforce GT230M - 50C / 122F

ST950042 OAS - 39C/102F.

I am a total novice in such hardware matters so would apprecate yr valued comments on the temps given above.

Thanks

All the temps are in an acceptable range. With that said, I do not know if the laptop was under any kind of load. If it was then the laptop is doing great. You can check to see if CPUID does benchmark testing and if so then it will put the laptop under a load or stress as some refer to it as. I would only consider doing this if you are planning on doing some serious gamming or run some other software that may be very demanding on cpu, video card, hdd and even memory. Once again, don't know what you are planning to do with your laptop. So if you are just planning on using laptop for general use then no need to do a benchmark on it.

Let us know.

fennfam3

• Like 1

Hi fennfam3,

Thanks for the review of my temps, reassured tht they r in range, but still will buy an external cooling device. I dont think CPUID has a benchmark testing option. Basically I use my LT for stock trading (day trading) with my trading terminal as well a couple of tech analysis software running simultaneously. While of the topic of trading would like u valued suggestion on how to hooking up an extra monitor or two to my TL to view different charts of seperate monitors.

Thanks

you can hook up an external monitor with an hdmi or vga cable. U should have both on laptop. Monitor would need one of the two. Many monitors will have HDMI, DVI or VGA connections. There are many combo cables out there that will convert from for example: DVI to HDMI or HDMI to VGA etc. There are also adaptors that can convert an exsisting cable. Many combinations.

As far as hooking up two external monitors, there are what they call video switches but not sure if one will do 2 external monitors. Be forewarned that these switches can get very expensive. Google or check out newegg.com on these swithces. Dual or more monitors are the way to go if you can.

fennfam3

hehe...I run many monitors, no problem...but the question was about cooling a laptop...so lets stay on topic here..

I had a small issue with my Acer running and shutting down....after multiple reloads of windows, it seems that heat was the issue and no longer run from a soft surface...which I was doing.

Now I only trade from dedicated PC...on time/real time.. lappy is now for fun...

Glad we could help. If you have any other questions the please don't hesitate to open another topic.

fennfam3