Sign in to follow this  
SlaveTrainer

Bad/corrupted DVD media

In about 2004-2006 I burned a bunch of DVDs on DL DVD media. They played fine then. Recently I started to back them up to new media and hard drives. Several of them will not play or rip after a certain point on several computers in my house. Three desktops and one laptop all fail BUT it plays completely on my home player hooked up to the TV. Has anyone ever seen this before? I've had disks go bad before which is why I was trying to back these up before they died but why play on the reader only and not on any of the burners? I'd really like to get these movies ripped off again.

ST

8 hours ago, SlaveTrainer said:

In about 2004-2006 I burned a bunch of DVDs on DL DVD media. They played fine then. Recently I started to back them up to new media and hard drives. Several of them will not play or rip after a certain point on several computers in my house. Three desktops and one laptop all fail BUT it plays completely on my home player hooked up to the TV. Has anyone ever seen this before? I've had disks go bad before which is why I was trying to back these up before they died but why play on the reader only and not on any of the burners? I'd really like to get these movies ripped off again.

ST

i would suggest using IsoBuster.. ive used it for this exact situation.. ;)

IsoBuster Pro 4.3 Build 4.3.0.00 Multilingual

IsoBuster Pro 4.3 Build 4.3.0.00 Multilingual | File size: 7.8 MB 

IsoBuster Pro - professional version of one of the most powerful software for working with disk imaging and recovery of the optical CD / DVD-media. The program allows you to directly view and extract files, tracks, sectors, and sessions from CD-i, CD-Text, VCD, SVCD, CD-ROM, CD-ROM XA, DVD and DVCD discs. Utility supports ISO9660, Joliet, Romeo, direct (Little Endian) and reverse (Big Endian) byte order, all kinds of UDF (UDF 2.01/UDF 1.02, UDF 1.5), Rock Ridge (Commodore), short and long file names. 

IsoBuster lets you rescue lost files from a bad or trashed CD, DVD or a Blu-Ray disc. Also it allows to recover deleted files from a Hard Drive, Memory card or of from flash media that Windows says needs to be formatted! 
The program is a highly specialized yet easy to use media data recovery tool. It supports all disc formats and all common file systems. Start up app, Insert a disc, select the drive (if not selected already) and let IsoBuster mount the media. 
IsoBuster immediately shows you all the tracks and sessions located on the media, combined with all file-systems that are present. This way you get easy access, just like explorer, to all the files and folders per file-system. 
Instead of being limited to one file-system that the OS picks for you, you have access to "the complete picture". Access data from older sessions, access data that your OS does not see or hides from you etc. 

Features: 
"Creating and opening files, images, standard 
"Creating and opening files, images, managed 
"Scanning for missing files and folders 
"Surface scan to CD, DVD, BD and HD DVD discs 
"Multi-language support, including the Russian language 
"Extract from / to CD, DVD, BD and HD DVD discs 
»View sectors on the CD, DVD, BD and HD DVD discs 
"Removing the tracks and sessions on CD, DVD, BD and HD DVD discs 
"Support of virtual sessions inside a single session of physical 
"Extract from the (S) VCD, CD-i, ISO9660, Joliet, Rock Ridge, UDF file systems 
"Extract from the HFS (+), IFO / VOB file-systems 
"Extraction and examination of related Mac files 
"Removing the Mac binaries 
"Extract files found based on their signatures 
"Removing the FAT (12/16/32) files 
and other... 

On top of this, IsoBuster interprets image files, such as: 
*.DAO (Duplicator)*.TAO (Duplicator)*.ISO (Nero, BlindRead, Creator)*.BIN (CDRWin)*.IMG (CloneCD)*.CCD (CloneCD)*.CIF (Creator)*.FCD (Uncompressed)*.NRG (Nero)*.GCD (Prassi)*.P01 (Toast)*.C2D (WinOnCD)*.CUE (CDRWin)*.CDI (DiscJuggler)*.CD (CD-i OptImage)*.GI (Prassi PrimoDVD)*.PXI (PlexTools)*.MDS (Alcohol)*.MDF (Alcohol)*.VC4 (Virtual CD)*.000 (Virtual CD)*.B5T (BlindWrite)*.B5I (BlindWrite)*.B6T (BlindWrite)*.B6I (BlindWrite)*.DMG (Apple Macintosh)*.DC42 (Apple Macintosh)*.IBP (IsoBuster)*.IBQ (IsoBuster)*.IBDAT (IsoBuster)*.IBADR (IsoBuster)*.NCD (NTI)*.FLP (Floppy image)*.E01 (Expert Witness Format)*.Ex01 (Expert Witness Format)*.S01 (Expert Witness Format)*.RMG (Rimage Disk Image)*.DSK (Generic Disk Image)*.IMAGE (Generic Disk Image)*.VMDK (virtual Machine Disk)*.UDF (UDF Image)*.DD*.XISO*.XBX*.VHD (Microsoft)*.VHDX (Microsoft)*.VDI (Oracle VM VirtualBox)*.WBFS (Wii)*.1Kn (Generic Disk Image - IsoBuster)*.2Kn (Generic Disk Image - IsoBuster)*.4Kn (Generic Disk Image - IsoBuster)*.8Kn (Generic Disk Image - IsoBuster)*.16Kn (Generic Disk Image - IsoBuster)*.32Kn (Generic Disk Image - IsoBuster)*.64Kn (Generic Disk Image - IsoBuster)*.512e (Generic Disk Image - IsoBuster) 

Whats New 

https://www.isobuster.com/news/isobuster_4.3_release_notes

HOMEPAGE 

https://www.isobuster.com/

DOWNLOAD 

https://rapidgator.net/file/c17b594240c3d0c4032ab03eb246a9b7

• Like 1

On 2/10/2019 at 12:41 PM, SlaveTrainer said:

Three desktops and one laptop all fail BUT it plays completely on my home player hooked up to the TV. Has anyone ever seen this before?

Yes, I've experimented the same situation. Isobuster might work or might not. You even can get more tips about applications you might use doing a search for "recover bad CDs". 

For a similar case, my final solution was testing with several DVD burners and finally I could read and save the bad CD with one of them.

• Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, luisam said:

Yes, I've experimented the same situation. Isobuster might work or might not. You even can get more tips about applications you might use doing a search for "recover bad CDs". 

For a similar case, my final solution was testing with several DVD burners and finally I could read and save the bad CD with one of them.

solid advice, my friend.. :friends2:

• Thanks 1

Thank you both for your replies. While I will "bank" ISOBuster if the need arises for me to test the software what I discovered is the very nice label I put on the DVD after burning it was the problem. After soaking the disk in isopropyl alcohol a bit and taking the label off it worked just fine. Ripped it and everything without issue. It seems those damn DVD labels were the problem on all the bad disks I had.

• Thanks 1

On 2/27/2019 at 3:12 AM, SlaveTrainer said:

what I discovered is the very nice label I put on the DVD after burning it was the problem.

Certainly, I've been checking this issue and found an interesting reference about it in the book "PCs For Dummies" by Dan Gookin - 2011- Page 334:

Do not use a sticky label on your CD/DVD-R. You should use a label only if it specifically says that it's chemically safe for a CD/DVD-R. Otherwise the chemicals in the standard type of sticky labels may damage the disc and render the information that's written to it unreadable after only a few months.

Also there is some more information you may read about the problem with sticky labels:

https://club.myce.com/t/sticky-paper-labels-on-dvd-r-discs-beware/157315

• Thanks 1