Sign in to follow this  
Mark Phelps

Upgrading 32-bit to 64-bit

OK, so before anyone says this can't be done -- I'm well aware of the "official position" on this.

But ... I do remember vaguely a while back seeing some hacks posted that would allow you to overwrite the OS and middleware 32-bit libraries with 64-bit and essentially, do an in-place "upgrade" from 32-bit to 64-bit. It was so long ago, that I can't remember where I saw it, nor (despite repeated online searches) can I find that information, anymore.

I have an old Win7 32-bit PC whose motherboard I have since replaced with one with a 64-bit processor and tried to Upgrade it to Win10 64-bit, but (of course!) the MS installer would not let me do that, so I had to upgrade it to Win10 32-bit.

Doing a clean-install of 64-bit is not a solution -- as I have already tried that and some of the 32-bit apps will not "migrate" to 64-bit, and I even tried using compatibility mode, which does not work for them. I also tried using the well-known "migration" apps of EaseUS and Laplink, and those did not work, either.

So, if anyone knows of where I could look for this information, thanks in advance.

• Like 1

i haven't come across may apps that won't work in a 64-bit environment.. if they didn't they must be really old.. which particular 32-bit apps will not work, since it seems it's only the apps holding u back from upgrading properly??

52 minutes ago, Rædwulf said:

i haven't come across may apps that won't work in a 64-bit environment.. if they didn't they must be really old.. which particular 32-bit apps will not work, since it seems it's only the apps holding u back from upgrading properly??

It's not just a matter of the apps not working, it's more a matter of hidden files the apps use that won't work with a clean-install.

I did such an install, opened the folders on the Win10 32-bit setup, looked around for hidden files and folders, even saved off and copied Registry entries -- but nonetheless, after all that, some of the really OLD 32-bit apps would still not work.

That's why I need to do an in-place Upgrade -- so that I can retain the hidden files/folders and registry settings.

• Like 1

last question.. these particular apss, is there anyway to use an alternative apps that's similar?

ah.. well i wish i was more help to u sir.. i personally have not done a 32-bit to 64-bit os over-write of files and have no knowledge on the process.. i wish u the best of luck on ur endeavors.. :thumbsup: