Sign in to follow this  
uk666

Police arrest woman, 104, as part of bucket list

Police arrest woman, 104, as part of bucket list

2019-03-26-0.jpg

Let's be having you! Grandmother, 104, finally gets her bucket list wish to be arrested because she had 'never been on the wrong side of the law'

A 104-year-old woman who has never been in trouble with the law has been 'arrested' by police as part of a bucket list wish. 

Anne Brokenbrow, who is a resident at Stokeleigh Care Home in Stoke Bishop, Bristol, UK was 'detained' by two officers as part of a charity event. 

Anne, who has dementia, was put in handcuffs by PC Stephen Harding and his colleague PCSO Kelly Foyle before being taken for a drive by the officers.

She said: "I had a lovely day, it was interesting. Nothing like that ever happened to me before. They put the handcuffs on, I had the lot.

"What did it feel like being a criminal? Well, it will make me much more careful of what I say and do. But the police were very nice throughout."

The home is one of five facilities in the area participating in the Wishing Washing Line initiative. 

Care home resident's wishes were pegged on a 'wishing washing line;' at nearby Co-op stores last week, in the hope a shopper will see it and offer to help make it come true.

2019-03-26-1.jpg

Anne's note read: 'My wish is... to be arrested. I am 104 and I have never been on the wrong side of the law.'

Today her wish came true. Mrs Brokenbrow said: 'It was a very pleasant interlude. And its been a very eventful day. I get to a lot of different activities here - I have a go at everything, they're very nice to me.

PCSO Kelly Foyle helped in the arrest. She said, 'My colleague PC Stephen Harding arrested her, as far as I know she's the oldest person he's arrested.. She was smiling, she had a lovely time.

'This all started when I received an email for the charity. We're part of the neighbourhood pol team, this is our beat, this is the most unusual request we've ever had certainly.

Simon Bernstein chief exec of alive activities who run the 'wishing washing line scheme', he said: 'Our charity provides lots of creative activities for older people and engage the community in coming into care homes.

'It can be very boring and quite lonely sometimes - with the best will in the world, some of the care staff don't have the time to engage people in meaningful activities.

He said the wishing washing line idea - which originated in Essex - had been a great success so far with many residents making wishes.

'It can be as simple as going to the pub for a pint, or having somebody to knit with or play bridge with, it can be anything.

'One man said he wanted to see Elvis - but you can't make every wish come true.'

Simon explained that some elderly people might actually be better off in prison, at least in terms of fresh air.

He said: 'There's a real irony in Anne being arrested today because I've been told on average people living in a care home in the UK only get to go outdoors and breath fresh air for four minutes a month.

'That's actually less than prisoners.'

2019-03-26-2.jpg

• Sad 1

great story, but it was totally ruined for me, when i read those atrocious statements by the Chief Exec of Alive Activities at the nursing home.. im floored and very appalled.. :cursing:

<<< Simon Bernstein, Chief Exec of Alive Activities - Stated >>>

• that some elderly people might actually be better off in prison, at least in terms of fresh air.
  • I've been told on average people living in a care home in the UK, only get to go outdoors and breath fresh air for four minutes a month.

what the hell is a matter with u ppl from the UK.. this is how to treat ur Elders, during the last days of their lives.. the police that fake arrested her, should've taken her to jail.. she would've been treated more humanely.. she's talked about having a jolly good time.. she has stage 4 dementia and is probably on a load of meds to top it off.. im quite frankly sickened by those statements.. :angry:

this rant by no means is directed towards u uk666.. the article was lovely, minus the bullsh*t that transpired.. thank u for sharing.. ^_^