Sign in to follow this  
luisam

Disabled Task Bar, Search and Start Menu in Windows 10

My sister's ASUS A54C (Intel i3) laptop had a really annoying issue: task bar and notificacion bar were disabled, start menu didn't open, search menu didn't work. Couldn't open Edge explorer (ok, not really our favorite, but it should open and it's a great PDF reader!) I tried probably every tip I could find doing google search, including those in Youtube with no result. Couldn't update using the standard update procedure. It's actually an old ASUS laptops, bougt in 2014 but the model was released in 2010. It was sold with Windows 7  64 bit SP1, not sure which edition. One day Microsoft updated it to Windows 10 without any notification. It has the version 1603 and my sister never even understood what happened until I explained her. She never was really happy about this "free" update beacuse she was quite satisfied with her Windows 7 laptop as it was.

Initially, after those tips failed, I was quite decided to downgrade to Windows 7 SP1 64 bits Ultimate; I have a CD with an OEM version so it's actually a piece of cake but somehow I felt frustrated that this piece of W10 crap could more then me., so...

Finally I downlaoded the msu upsate file to version 1803, used the independent update feature and it worked. Somehow it still had the original 1603 version; updated to 1803 and I'll try to get 1903 as soon as it's confirmed that it's bug free.

As for my sister, well, all she uses this laptop for is to get and send her emails, once in a while she gets some Power Point prsentation or a PDF file, stores some family fotos and videos and writes short stories for herself nobody reads (using Office 2003). So really she could go along even with Windows XP!

im not really sure what ur getting at luisam?? r u just telling us about this crappy problem that happened to ur sisters computer or r u ask for support on it??

• Like 1

On 4/24/2019 at 12:41 PM, Rædwulf said:

im not really sure what ur getting at luisam?? r u just telling us about this crappy problem that happened to ur sisters computer or r u ask for support on it??

Actually, it's a frequent issue with some older versions of Windows 10. Probably it's some kind of a not documented smurf of version 1603 which might activate depending on some unknown factors! In my case it started when I tried to remove Avast Free after it couldn't be updated and couldn't remove it with any uninstaller! So, I booted from a repair CD and deleted Avast. Problems started when I rebooted again to Windows 10

It's a really annoying issue because it limits the access of users to Windows 10's configuration and functions. Lots of forums, computer info pages and dozens of Youtube presentations offer solutions. These solutions work for some, doesn't for others.

None of them worked for me!

I assumed the radical soution: updating old version of Windows, in my case, from 1603 to 1803. It was not so easy, because Windows Update also was somehow disabled.

So, the idea of the post is to serve as reference and recordatory for any user who might encounter this issue and offers a fast and radical procedure to solve the bug

• Thanks 1

alright.. thank u for clarifying this, luisam.. and also for putting it out there for others to review it.. :yourock:

• Thanks 1