Sign in to follow this  
longbid

Want to upgrade from Win 7 Enterpise to 10 Pro

Hello,

I have a college win 7 64bit enterprise edition with tons of software,

I have a valid Win 10 Pro license.

I would like to know what routes can be taken without losing any of my programs that are compatible

If I change my version of Enterprise to Pro and then upgrade to Win 10 is this possible?

If so what steps are neede?

I also have a valid Win 7 Pro license

I see all over the internet LSC versions that do not offer an upgrade path.Only complete install for Enterprise

Thanks for any assistance.

Longbid

• Like 1

it's not possible to upgrade, because it's technically a down grade from enterprise to professional, but why would u want to upgrade to a shotty os?? win 7 offers the same thing that win 10 does and it's just as beautiful to the eye, yet it doesn't come with all the backdoors and spy tools that win 10 has built into it from msft.. ive upgraded from win 7 to 10 on multiple occasion on multiple releases of win 10 only to come back to win 7.. which imo is a much more stable os then win 10 will ever be.. just look at my questions and really ask urself why.. id be happy to assist u in anyway to upgrade in any other way.. ;)

Raedwolf,

Windows 7 is not receiving updates for security and is EOL in January 2020.I was able to update manually security updates only until March 2019,April will not install.

I read online about changing the registry to Professional and then using a Professional license to change the system and recover missing  or corrupt files.

I appreciate your time and concern.Just do not want to be left out in the security issues.

Cordially,

Longbid

• Like 1

im aware, personally ill stick with the lack of shotty security updates from msft and use proper security software to protect me.. then having prying eyes all inside what i do on my computer.. but to each their own, i respect ur decision.. :handshake:

if u need any help with anything, please don't hesitate to ask.. :sun:

Raedwolf ,

So you think if I change to Professional and do repair install then do Win 7  security updates I would be better off?

Do you know of anyone who changed from Enterprise to Pro and did this successfully?

Again thank you for your time and concern.

Longbid

only IMO, yes ur better off sticking with windows 7.. i found this amazing program here that will possibly do exactly what ur lookin for >>>

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-windows_install/downgrade-win-7-ultimate-to-win-7-professional/cfebbc77-683a-4d32-bf3a-e897619a82f7

Thank you,

I have found thast tool  earlier.Just wanted an experts opinion.

The article link does not work but you can search for the downgrader manually

I think you have helped substantaionally.

longbid

• Like 1

r u going to try using downgrader process?? if so why not just go to the ultimate version instead of the pro?? i know u said u had a key to pro, but using the windows loader is just as viable and safe.. it's what i use every time i install windows 7.. just a thought, my friend.. u ever need anymore help im always around.. feel free to make another thread or PM, cheers.. :thumbsup:

• Like 1

I'm NOT a huge fan of Win10 myself -- but I've become accustomed to using it and now actually prefer it due to greater familiarization.

If I was you, then I would do the following to see if the "migration" from Win7 Ent to Win10 Pro will work out well:

1) Using Macrium Reflect, make an Image backup of Win7 Ent. 

What I recommend is the following:
1) Download and install Macrium Reflect (MR) from here: http://www.macrium.com/reflectfree.aspx
2) Run MR and choose the option: "Create an image of the partition(s) required to backup and restore Windows" to write a full backup to an external drive or USB stick
3) Use the option to create a boot USB stick or CD

My experience is that MR, when using the High Compression option, typically can compress the saved image file to about 50% of the USED space in the OS partition.  This means if you have an 80GB OS partition, and 40GB is used, MR only needs about 20GB to store the image file.

2) Grab a copy of Laplink PC Mover Pro -- you will use this to create a migration "file" for Win7 apps and settings.  If you can't find that here, you will have to search other sites for it -- most likely, Warez-BB would have it. 

3) Install Laplink PC Mover Pro and create the Migration File -- I don't remember the details on how to do this, so you will have to do some Googling. Copy the Migration file to a large USB drive.

4) Install Win10 Pro on your PC -- use the option to format the existing OS partition. But, when it prompts for a product key, choose the option to skip that.  If MS gives you issues about activation, you might have to disconnect your network from the Internet.  You don't need that access for the rest of this.

5) Boot into Win10 and install Laplink PC Mover Pro

6) Insert the USB stick containing the Migration File and start up PC Mover Pro.  Select the option to import from the Migration File.  This could take a while, so let it run.

If all works well, after Laplink is done and you reboot, you should have your settings and apps back from Win7 Ent.  Try them out and see how well they work.

NOTE: the final parts of this presume you can install and run Laplink without activating Win10.  I have not tried that, so I don't know if that will work.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Great advice and help from all.

Much appreciated.

I have made a Macrium Reflect image and will begin when time permits.

Again thanks for your help and concern

Longbid

• Like 1

This may be too late But, I have done this. I downgraded win 7 back to Pro. Then used the windows 10 update assistant. It also gave me a free upgrade to windows 10 about a month ago. Very easy 

• Like 2

Just a comment about installing Windows 10. About 2 years ago Microsoft upgraded my old computer with a Dual Core 4200+ 2.20 GHz processor from Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bits to Windows 10. It was actually a computer sold for Vista but as soon as I got it, downgraded to windows XP and much recently, installed Windows 7 on dual boot. I really have no idea which version of Windows 10 I got but didn't lose any file in the process. After about 2 days I found my computer running too slow, so considering that all my files were backuped, simply made a clean reinstall of Windows 7 using the original Windows 7 installation CD.

At least 3 friends and relatives are using "enforced" Windows 10 on computers bought for Windows 7 and are having issues with the speed. 

After this experience for sure I have no intention to install Windows 10 on this computer. I do run Windows 10 Home current version 1809 on a laptop I bought about a year and half ago with Windows 10 installed.

• Thanks 1