Designer_King

Help With USB port in Win7 Ultimate 32bit

Hi Guys...I have A Toshiba Satellite Pro C650 Laptop in which I have windows 7 Ultimate installed on 32 bit system.

My problem is that USB drive is sometimes working and sometimes stops working.. I have tried updating drivers. cleaning up virus. even formatted the HDD, But that didn't give any fruitful results.

Suggest me what to do ..

Waiting for replies,

Designer_King

Ex-GFX Mod.

Cyberwarez.info

buddy try to plug in the usb when no process is running even then if it is not recognized... thn remove the usb connection go to task manager and restart explorer.exe and thn connect it back... it will be recognised... this happens in few computers because the processor fails to get interrupted when usb is connected... try the above method and let us kno wat happens...

• Like 2

Is it just one port or all.

Is it only with one type of device. ie flashDrive, external whatever, hub.

U could try this :::| First disconnect all USB devices connected then Right click "My Computer" Click "Properties" Click "Device Manager"

Alternately U could do the same thing by keying the WindowsButton+R @ the same time. A run window will popup then type "devmgmt.msc" in it.

ok so U will b looking @ a window like this.

8b7141ef4d.png

If U have a yield sign with a ! mark over it then U have a driver error.

And this wont help U.

So no error proceed & click on the USB Controller like I already did in the picture.

Once it opens up Right Click on the first Generic USB Hub. Click uninstall. Confirm that this is what U want 2 do.

Windows will want 2 reboot & even if it doesnt prompt U, U will have 2 2 finish the process.

Upon reboot U should have everything back as new.

If this doesnt work this could b a sign of hardware failure. Some ports can b replace individually but some will require component level repair.

GoodLuck.

Please let us know how it all works out 4 U ;}

• Like 1

Upon re-reading Ur post I see U did a reformat & that didnt work so I am going with hardware failure.

If u r comfortable taking it apart to see if the port that is acting up could just b replaced.

Then just order it. & install it.

If its not & on the board side of things u will have 2 send it out or just forget about it.

Dont worry if its on the board side it will get worse & other hardware will start 2 fail also.

So Ur options R send it out 2 b repaired @ the component level, find a new board, or find a new laptop.

But U probably have anywhere from a year 2 six months left with Ur beloved b4 it dies.

Sorry 2 b the barer of bad newz. I hope i am wrong.

I'm reading this and it's not very clear to me what you are doing exactly. Are you using an external hard disk on the USB port, or some other device? Which hard disk did you reformat as it's pointless formatting the main laptop C: drive to solve this problem. If you do not have an external hard driive on the USB port, have you tried other USB accessories (mouse/external keyboard or flash drive) to see if they work?

If you ARE using an external 2 1/2" USB powered hard disk then they are sometimes very erratic in behaviour. This is because of the laptop's power output which is insufficient to power the harddisk through a single USB port unless the hard disk has a seperate power adapter, OR you need a double USB adapter which uses TWO of your laptop USB ports which provides an increase in power for your external hard disk to work.

If this is not an external hard disk problem then make sure you have the latest Windows 7 updates installed as I seem to remember a USB issue with Windows 7 some months ago.

• Like 1

As an afterthought, have you updated the BIOS or other firmware/software available from Toshiba! It may be worth doing this before doing anything else! ;)

• Like 2

@Designer_King, it sounds like its just a hardware failure. best thing to do is just dont use it. if you need the extra port, buy a small plug-in usb hub that is powered from the MoBo, and plug it into the other working port. you can get a 4-port hub for less than $10 USD. Im using one that I bought at my local "Dollar Store" and it works great.

Parker216

_

• Like 1