ispea

Keyboard Shortcuts Stopped on Windows 10, How to Get Working Again? [COMPLETED]

please download this new video tutorial below >>>

https://rapidgator.net/file/ee404963daf122baa52fdc0a225c7ca7/Unlocking_Any_File_Using_IOBit_Unlocker.mp4.html

• Thanks 1

BTW, I just had an idea that it might be worthwhile to test the keyboard shortcuts while booted in safe mode. So, I tried that. No, they still did not work. So, that's one more thing checked. I also tried after unplugging my USB mouse (I hate trackpads). That made no difference, so its not a conflict with that. That's the only "device" I have plugged into the machine regularly.

Seems to me this must be a software issue, as long as the keys otherwise work. The keyboard isn't doing the shortcut, its simply saying two keys have been held down. If both keys work, the rest is software. And all the keys on the keyboard work.

• Like 1

OK, I'm downloading that. All I see is it says about unlocking files. I know how to do that. I know a lot of this stuff. But if you prefer videos, OK. I understand all you said before. The problem was not that, it was that something was running my hosts file, so I could not overwrite it. I got around that by booting in safe mode.

Will check out the video.

EDIT: Oh, your video is still dealing with the hosts file. Its done, all edited, the driver application installed, no new driver for keyboard, already have the most up to date one. All that is done, but unfortunately, it did not solve the problem as there is no better driver available. I'm surprised you made the video, I sent you the message about the progress this morning.

• Like 1

OK, let us stay focused on the keyboard shortcuts. But just a quickie, as for locked files, what is "locked." Is that simply setting it as "read only?" It is obvious in Mac what "locked" is. In Windows, under Properties, there is not locking, but you can accomplish that by making it read only or setting the permissions individually for different things and users. Read only, not lock.

Mine was not st as read only. Locking was not the issue, it was that another function was using it. I would not want to lock it so that function did not work, if I don't even know what that function is - not if locking means that function cannot even use it! I might want that function, or even need it.

The read only on mine was set via the permission, rather than globally.

I am suspecting that by "lock" they are talking of making it read only by global setting. BTW, there were recommendations on Google to set it as Read only globally for the hosts file as a security measure to prevent any other person from editing it. And that is how my edited version was automatically changed to, and I have decided to leave it as that, can change that if and when I want.

But, back to fixing the keyboard shortcuts.

• Like 1

no, the reference to a file being locked with regards to IOBit Unlocker simply implies that the file ur trying to either move/cut/delete can not be done cuz another file is using it.. well im terribly sorry none of that worked.. im tapped out.. try plugging in a different keyboard and see if it works or not??

I don't have an external Windows keyboard. I had considered that. I plugged in a Mac keyboard, which will have different circuitry, especially at the Control key, but the keyboard shortcuts did not work, except I think it was to copy some text, but I could not quite get that to happen a second time. It doesn't really mean anything, it was a Mac keyboard.

But I note again, all the keys work. It is simply the keyboard shortcuts that don't work. If all the keys work, it seems to me it has to be a software issue, as all the keyboard does is send data saying the two keys are pressed -- and all the keys work. Its the OS receiving that from the keyboard that takes that as a command to do that shortcut. Oh, testing an external keyboard is still something to do, but I don't have one. But it just seems almost certain it is a software issue.

I mention, and I can't think this is it, when I upagt4d the OS last fall, I think that came out in November, I got it the day it came out and updated. Then about two days later, they pulled it, it was fouling up some people by erasing files, I think mostly out of the Documents folder. I did not have that issue, fortunately. I did not reinstall when they came out with the fixed version.

But since then, I have now updated with the spring OS update.

Is it possible that the November update did this, and I didn't realize it until later int he winter. But if so, why did the spring update not fix it, put in correct software? I can't think it was the November update is the spring update did not replace the faulty file(s). That consideration was one reason I did not get back to this sooner (of course I was overloaded with other pressing things too.)

How about firmware? We checked the driver. What about firmware? I know how to update drivers on Windows, how would I update firmware on the keyboard? Or is there no firmware, is there only a driver?

I just found the problem! The problem is the Control key! For some reason, I thought it was fine, that I used it for other things. No, I guess not.

I was at the Acer (Gateway) Website and started a thread in the forum there. Then I searched. I found a few with the problem, one posting just last December, about a month after that November Windows 10 update came out, around the same time my issue started. (see my comment above). But in the search, I found one where someone said something about the Control key on the right side too. 

I had forgotten there even is a Control key on the right too. So, I tested with that. With that one, the keyboard shortcuts work perfectly. And they still won't work with the left Control key.

So, its the Control key.

I have some compressed, canned air here, and even some electronics alcohol at 99%. Do you know if I can just pop off the top of the Control key to get in there and blow it out and if needed try some of the alcohol on it? I don't want to try to pop it off and break it instead.

I wonder if that Windows 10 update -- considering the other post around the same time -- did something specific to that key? I very much doubt that.

I suppose something right in front of our feces was too obvious to even notice. It had to be something a tad more techy. :) 

well im pleased everything worked out and the issue is fixed.. that's all that matters.. it's been a pleasure troubleshooting u.. if u have anymore issues please don't hesitate to ask.. below is a video on working on ur keyboard.. cheers, my friend.. :friends2:

OK, thanks. I downloaded that. Will watch tomorrow. One question, do ALL those keys always have the top pop off? I can do that on a Mac aluminum keyboard (lost two of those to the same issue, same four keys dying, obviously a flaw in the construction). But when I tried the same on a friend's laptop, they would not come off, I was at the level it should have broken, and quit before it did. No keys would comoff. I don't want to break mine off, although it doesn't work anyway. But am hoping with some alcohol, it might magically looses some dirt, grime or other and start working. Probably won't, but wanted to try anyway.

I looked up the maker of mine on the computer today. It simply said Microsoft Standard for manufacturer.

I will have to get used to being a lefty in order to use keyboard shortcuts on that otherwise.

Thank you so much for all your help. That was a LOT of time and effort you gave me, and I do appreciate it.

Not immediately, but you were talking of filling me in on some good Windows utilities to save things when it breaks down. Maybe we can talk about that in the coming days. I have a couple, but not  some of the kind I have for Mac that I think would be useful. I have the OS install disk, bootable, with those  utilities on it -- I make a new one from every OS update. I have Acronis True Image 2016.I have one called Parted Image, which boots in Linux and has disk cloning software, a function to erase the disk, a partition editor and a file manager. I have another one called Partition Wizard 9.1, which is bootable. And one called Hirens Boot CD 15.2, which my notes say to boot in Win XP. I think it has various older utilities on it.I wrote at least one is called Defraggler 2.11.560. And that's it. I know how to use the restore function in the OS on the laptop,have done that a few times to get rid of malware or other.

ur very welcome again.. it wouldn't be in the position to help others as much as i am now days if it wasn't for people in my past that offered their experience & expertise to me when i needed it most a long time ago, and of course schooling helped a lo as well.. ;)

for assistance with proper Windows PE's, ie Hiren's BootCD, ect. please start a new thread with the proper title, same goes for malware assistance and id be happy to help u out.. i ask it done this way so it's easy to reference for others if they should come across the same issues.. :thumbsup:

for some other programs that will really help out for making ur PC better overall, please check out this thread below.. cheers, my friend.. :sun:

http://www.cyberphoenix.org/forum/topic/739453-list-of-programs-i-use-to-make-my-computer-run-like-king/

also im offering this and have been for a while.. the position ur in right now.. u might wanna take me up on it.. :thumbup:

http://www.cyberphoenix.org/forum/topic/732711-tips-tricks-to-having-the-best-performance-for-your-computer/

• Thanks 1

I had a laptop with a keyboard problem (Physical) So I looked it up on Ebay and bought a replacement keyboard ;)   

OK, thanks, Red. I will checkout that list of utilities. Tech 425, yes, eBay crossed my mind. Maybe down the line, for now I'm OK, its just the keyboard shortcuts, and I can use them as a left hander if I can get used to that. I don't want to invest too much into this machine, but we will see. I just got a new 9-cell battery, found a very good deal. But a key point is the hinges on the screen are not doing well. They make them out of plastic, that is never going to hold up. So I don't expect to get years more out of those hinges, so don't want to be pouring other money into this machine.

Red, I just watched the video about the keyboard. That is the exact same design of keys as on the Apple aluminum keyboard, on which I have done that very procedure in the video.

But are you sure my keyboard/all keyboards are like that? I'm not so sure. Like I said, my friend's would not pop the top of the key off, things actually bent, and then actually broke off. His was not built like in that video, I could only glue that key top back on. And yesterday on mine, while I did not push it quite that far, the top of the key was not coming off.

Nonetheless, after the Apple keyboard experience, it seemed apparent that with that design, taking that top off is good only to put on a new one. Under that top it is sealed, so you can't get into where the connection is being made to try to clean that. That's the only thing that is worth cleaning, the connection, not the outside of it. So, if that is the design, maybe I can't do anything to even clean it and see if that helps.

Just to give final word, I did pop off the top of the Ctrl key, and then blew it with canned air, and then put some electronics alcohol on it and blew it again, then repeated. Then I turned it upside down, and just now getting back to it, about three days later - plenty dried out.

No help, left Ctrl key still not working. So, that's pretty much it. I might be able to get in somehow from the underside, but I don't see that I can lift this keyboard off, I guess I have to take the top of the computer off, and don't want to do that. I did see some keyboards for this machine at eBay for under $10. But its OK now, I will try to get used to using the right Ctrl key. I don't really want to take top of computer off if I don't have to.

Thanks for all the help.

• Like 1

Try this here >>>

Found by trying: quick swipe over Alt, Win, Fn, Ctrl reproduces this "error" (no h c v t keys), quick swipe over Ctrl, Fn, Win, Alt (opposite direction) brings all the keys back.

UPD: Shorter — Fn+Win or Alt+Win or Fn+Alt+Win are the keyboard shortcuts to get in and out of the state when keyboard is ignoring h c v t buttons.

Oh, wow. This sounds promising. But please clarify what you are saying.

Swipe? Are you talking of putting my finger on the, say, far left cntrl key and quickly dragging it across all four of those keys, as if on a piano? And I would expect an error. Then do the same in the opposite direction? If so, does it matter which direction I do it first, or another setup before doing it?

I just tired that. I got no error msg, and after several attempts, the bad control key still did not work. This might not work when one of the keys is not doing what the others are, that is, the ctrl key is not registering the swipe. I note,I even tries using the ctrl key on the right and swipe the other three keys, is same unison as if I were using the cntrl key on the left. It did not do anything.

Any input will be appreciated. And this is GREAT, even though it has not worked. This is the very kind of thing that can be so hard to find, often doesn't work, but sometimes it does! And that sometimes is gold, but you can only find out by trying.

The SECOND one you list, I don't know what UPD means, but I tried those combinations -- not sure what to do with them. I pressed the three different combinations of the  keys, then what? I did them separately, one test at a time. Then I tested, but Cntrl key did not work. So then I pressed them again, this time pressing the ctrl key while holding down those combinations. Then tested, did not work. You seem to be saying that is a fix you found for an issue with the H, C, V and T keys. OK, not the Ctrl key, but easy enough to test and get surprised.

Do I maybe have to hold those combinations down for some specific time? Or some other trick?

However, that is very similar to a problem I have on two Apple aluminum keyboards, same letter keys on both, and other people in forums have the same problem with same letters, some have same problem but different letter keys. I wonder if such a combination might work to fix those! No one in all the forums anywhere has found a solution, and the keyboard cannot be opened up to get at anything, is made so it will be destroyed in order to open it.

Can you tell me the URL where you found that info? Who knows what I might see there that points me to something or leads to something else.

THANK YOU very much! Hey, I just got up now, and at least this got my heart pumping even before I had some coffee. :)

yeah actually to tell u the truth, my own damn keyboard just quit on me.. still worked but none of the keys would type except the nav keys above the function keys.. this happened to me at the same time ur problem happened.. so ive been searching feverishly for an answer for mine and urs at the same time.. i found no absolute answer for my problem or urs sorry to say.. i in the end restored to an earlier version using a restore program and it fixed it.. nothing worked at all and i do troubleshooting for a living.. so to have this problem arise at the same time urs did bothered me deeply.. im sorry to say i dont have the url to that tip, but i can say that was the only useful thing on that page sorry to say.. so my finally suggestion is to do what i did and attempt to restore either using system restore or if ur lucky like me another restore program.. good luck, my friend.. :thumbsup:

Well, my issue did not just start. It started about last maybe December or in winter anyway. If it is related to software, that is from around or soon after the Win 10 November update. But I have since gotten the Spring update, and that did not fix it.

You lost the entire keyboard, and got it back at the restoration. Hmm? Could your driver for that no longer be compatible? Did you then run all updates again, and I guess if you, the keyboard still works? Hmm. Maybe a corruption. But as you know, I deleted and reinstalled my drivers. And I have the latest available. And I now find it is that one cntrl key not working. I suppose the contact simply is worn. If I could actually get in at the contact itself, I might be able to get it contacting again, but they don't make these things to get at them that deep.