caliboyhoy

required cd/dvd drive device driver while installing windows 7

hi,

i am currenly using windows xp 32 bit. and i want to upgrade to windows 7. i have just burned the iso image of the windows 7, and am trying to install it.

however, i got this message "A required CD/DVD drive device driver is missing. If you have a driver floppy disk, CD, DVD, or USB flash drive, please insert it now."

i do not have the drivers for my motherboard, since i got this only as second hand.

here are the details of my setup.

specs.jpg

What you need to do is go to the manufacturer of the desktop/laptop and see if there are updated drivers. This is usually the easiest/best way to get drivers.

You can also create a flash drive installation and once Win7 is installed then hopefully then you can update the driver (doubt it but worth a try)

You may also try and update the firmware on your optical drive. Here is the link to your particular optical . Make sure you read the instructions if you decide to go this route. If you fail to follow instructions exactly then you will brick your optical drive.

http://www.lg.com/us/support-product/lg-GH22NS50

Last but not least, you can go here and see if you can find the drivers. Just make sure you select the correct manufacturer. (No guarantees on this one)

http://www.pcpitstop.com/drivers/download/HL-DT-ST~DVDRAM~GH22NS50.html

If you have anymore questions then please do not hesitate to ask.

• Like 1

V,

my first thought was that it has an older firmware on it due to him saying it has windows xp on it. There is an updated firmware that now supports windows vista and windows 7.

He just needs to be carefull updating the firmware.

Assuming you have enough space on your HD you could just put you Win 7 installation files into a new directory and run the setup file from there - you do not need to install it from a CD. If you only have an ISO file then use WinRAR to extract the ISO to a directory. Also hopefully Win 7 will recognise your CD player install the drivers so you should be able to use it in future.

V,

my first thought was that it has an older firmware on it due to him saying it has windows xp on it. There is an updated firmware that now supports windows vista and windows 7.

He just needs to be carefull updating the firmware.

wat fennfam3 told is vry correct and thts the 1st case... secondly if everything is up to date u can install win 7 on ur HDD without any trouble cos ur config is more thn enough to support it... if u r getting tht error after the booting process thn u hav to update driver and then install win 7....

• Like 1

thanks for the replies guys.

i have tried downloading the appropriate drivers already for my motherboard. however, the message still appears because while the install wizard is asking for me to insert the installation disk or usb drive, it can not read the drivers.

this happens after booting to cd. i just got to the first part where it is only beginning to prepare the intallation.

some said that i might have downloaded a corrupt os? would that be true also?

Did you update the cd/dvd drivers? This is what is causing the problem. If the cd/dvd driver is not updated then Windows 7 can't see it correctly.

Are you actually just trying to do an update or a clean install?

Are you booting from the win7 disc or running setup through XP?

Also, are you trying to install 32 bit or 64 bit win7? Based on your system, I would recommend 64 bit.

boot and install from a usb drive notebooks do it all the time

Once win 7 is installed then you can try and get the dvd drive working / updated

Windows 7 USB/DVD download tool

and full instructions

http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msstore/html/pbPage.Help_Win7_usbdvd_dwnTool

• Like 1

Did you update the cd/dvd drivers? This is what is causing the problem. If the cd/dvd driver is not updated then Windows 7 can't see it correctly.

Are you actually just trying to do an update or a clean install?

Are you booting from the win7 disc or running setup through XP?

Also, are you trying to install 32 bit or 64 bit win7? Based on your system, I would recommend 64 bit.

im trying to do a clean install. i have tried installing the cd/dvd driver when the message popped up. but i havent tried updating the cd/dvd driver before installing.

i am also booting from the disc that i burned.

i am trying to install 64 bit :)

Please follow @linuxuser's advice and install from a flash drive. If you do not have one then you can follow @ponyman's advice and run your setup off of your hard drive.

If you still have the ISO file on your hard drive then download and install MagicDisc, mount the iso file and install windows 7

http://www.magiciso.com/tutorials/miso-magicdisc-history.htm

• Like 1

Or you could just update the firmware for the optical drive before doing a clean install with win 7. I guess your drive must be a little old huh

hi, i got it to work. i downloaded a different windows 7. and it did the trick. i think what i downloaded before got some corrupted files. thanks for the help dear sirs.

• Like 1

Glad you figured it out and thank you for getting back with us letting us know you fixed the issue. We always appreciate it when we get a reply back letting us know that an issue is fixed.

Glad you did bro .................I was a bit surprised when you said you could not install at first as win7 usually has most drivers required to install ...........thanks for the feed back too........

hi fenn, im also glad you guys took your time to help a noob. some wont even bother to help. updating here is the least i can do. thanks again.