Sign in to follow this  
SlaveTrainer

Win10 Pro Graphic Card issues [COMPLETED]

Not sure anyone has had or knows this issue but any ideas that may help me ID the problem are welcome.

My desktop was working well under Win 7 but I decided to upgrade to Windows Pro. I did a deep format of the hard drive and installed Win Pro fresh. It is an older AM3 motherboard with a Phenom II 6 core CPU and it is obviously a driver issue of some sort.

Asus Crosshair iV Formula motherboard with the AMD Phenom 6 core (no onboard video)

Video card was an ATI 5770.

When freshly installed everything was there but in a large resolution. After a minute the notification area disappeared, the desktop was cleared of icons but the resolution was what it should have been. Programs load and present the tray icon but will not come on screen. I can't access the settings or anything. I plugged in a borrowed Nvidia geforce GTX 650 and everything worked fine. Did updates, installed programs, updated drivers, no problems. Put my ATI back in and zap, back where it was. I decided to buy an Nvidia card but upgraded to an NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4GB GAMING card. This acts just like my ATI card. Only the Nvidia GTX 650 works. Very odd.

Any ideas? What should I try? I really don't want to buy a new motherboard. I didn't want to spend $130US on a used video card that doesn't work either.

I have an almost identical system -- and it works without issue -- but it uses a newer Radeon  video card.  You can pick up cards that will work for under $50 -- they just won't handle really high res (4K).  Mine does HD without problems.

• Like 1

Thanks for the input Mr. Phelps,

I just don't understand it. After the NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4GB  screwed up Windows I put the Nvidia geforce GTX 730 (it wasn't the 650 after all) and it's still screwed up. I may have to reformat and reinstall Windows to see if it will even work again. I have built countless systems and installed Win 10 on many units and never had this happen.

I assume you did a fresh install of Win 10 on the Crosshair Formula IV board? No driver issues at all?

• Like 1

Is desktop displayed Off the Screen?

To resolve this issue, try the following methods:

Method 1

1. Right-click the program on the taskbar, and then click “Maximize”.
  2. Right-click a blank area of the taskbar, and then click “Cascade Windows” or “Show windows stacked” or “Show windows side by side”
  3. Resize the program's window as appropriate.

Method 2

1. Right-click the program on the taskbar, and then click Move.
  2. Move the mouse pointer to the middle of the screen.
  3. Use the ARROW keys on the keyboard to move the program window to a viewable area on the screen.
  4. Press ENTER.
  5. Resize the window if necessary.

Method 3

1. Hold down the Windows Key, then press “D“. Repeat these steps to see if it makes the window you are looking for reappear.
  2. Alternately, you can right-click a blank area of the taskbar, then choose “Show the desktop“, then repeat.

Method 4

1. Hold the Windows Key while pressing Left Arrow or Right Arrow repeatedly to move the window back into view.

Method 5

1. Hold down the “Shift” key while right-clicking the program in the taskbar, then select “Move“
  2. Use your mouse or the arrow keys on your keyboard to move the window back onto the screen.

Method 6

1. Hold down the “ALT+Space or “ALT+SHIFT+Space”. This should open the Move, Maximise etc. options.
  2. Click the Maximise. You should now see the window.

Method 7

1. Maximize - Sometimes a single app will get stuck in a state where it cannot redraw onto the Window. You can usually alleviate this by doing the following:
  • Hold “Shift” and right-click on the program icon in the taskbar, then choose “Maximize“

I hope this helps.

• Thanks 1

On 12/29/2019 at 2:34 PM, uk666 said:

Is desktop displayed Off the Screen?

I appreciate the feedback however that isn't my issue. Once Windows updates and graphics drivers load the notifications area disappear as well as all desktop icons and programs won't load. I can get Windows Explorer windows to open if I right click the icon and select a specific folder from the drop down. Since it opens on the desktop so should any program. They aren't loading off center. There is nothing to move, maximize, cascade etc.

I'll reinstall an older build of Windows 10 pro once more on New Years day and play with it some before giving up and buying a new motherboard.

• Like 1

After a ton of frustration and ready to buy a new motherboard I figured out what I was doing wrong.

To avoid motherboard driver issues I installed Win7 and all updates and motherboard drivers before updating to Win 10 instead of a fresh install.

My display adapter issues were caused completely by me having my monitor connected through DVI and NOT unplugging the HDMI cord I have running to my TV. This caused a conflict where the computer wanted to output via the HDMI which is why nothing worked. All is right in the world again.

• Like 1

My recommendation is to go back to Windows 7 x64. I seriously tried over 13 different types of Windows 10 from every type of variant and every one of them, no matter what, had some sort of driver error. I tried everything after weeks of bullsh*t, I gave up. I installed Windows 7 x64 and poof, it worked magically without errors. I'm sorry I can't give you the magical fix for your problem, my friend. The only thing I can suggest is if your motherboard has multiple x16 slots, try it in the secondary slot, instead of the top primary slot, in congurance with a combination of IOBit Driver Booster Pro and Driver Easy Pro. After you do the fresh install of Windows 10 make sure Windows Update is set to manual, so it doesn't update any drivers and use those programs first. That's all I have for you at the moment, unfortunately, cheers mate... :handshake:

• Like 1

Sh*t, I didn't see your last post Slave Trainer, whoops, lmao. I'm very glad you got it all sorted... :wacko:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1