Sign in to follow this  
uk666

The Best Cricket Sledges Ever

The Best Cricket Sledges Ever

185604.jpg

What is sledging in cricket?
Sledging is a term used in cricket to describe the practice whereby some players seek to gain an advantage by insulting or verbally intimidating the opposing player. The purpose is to try to weaken the opponent's concentration, thereby causing them to make mistakes or underperform.

1. Ian Chappell to Derek Underwood:
    England slow left-arm bowler Derek Underwood was hit on the hand while batting. Ian Chappell surprised Underwood with his concern.
    Chappell: How's the hand, which one was it?
    Underwood: It was my right.
    Chappell: That's a shame. We were aiming for the left.
  2. Ian Botham to Rodney Hogg:
    As Rodney Hogg bowled to Ian Botham, he lost his balance and fell at the England player's feet.
    Botham: I know you think I'm great Hoggy, but no need to get down on your knees.

3. Glenn McGrath to Michael Atherton:
    Australia's Glenn McGrath tried out an old Australian classic on England captain Michael Atherton, who fell for it hook, line and sinker.
    McGrath: Athers, it would help if you got rid of the shit at the end of your bat.
    Atherton looks at the bottom of his bat.
    McGrath: No, No, the other end.

4. Merv Hughes to Graham Gooch:
    Hughes had sent several fast deliveries whistling past Graham Gooch, before dispatching the following verbal knockout punch.
    Hughes: I'll get you a fu***** piano you Pommie poofta. Let's see if you can play that.

5. Dennis Lillee to Mike Gatting:
    There's no easier target for a joke than an overweight man, as Dennis Lillee proved with the former England captain Mike Gatting.
    Lillee: Hell, Gatt, move out of the way, I can't see the stumps.

6. Bill Woodfull to Douglas Jardine:
    In the infamous 'Bodyline' series, prim and proper England captain Douglas Jardine complained to Australian captain Bill Woodfull, having just been sworn at.
    Jardine: Your slip just swore at me.
    Woodfull: All right, which one of you b*stards called this b*stard a b*stard?

7. Phil Tufnell to The Umpire:
    An angry Phil Tufnell took his frustration out on the umpire after his appeal against Dean Jones was turned down.
    Tufnell: Are you bloody blind?
    Umpire: I beg your pardon?
    Tufnell: Are you fu***** deaf as well?

8. Michael Atherton to Ian Healey:
    Michael Atherton had the perfect reply for Ian Healy when accused of cheating.
    Healey: You're a fu***** cheat.
    Atherton: When in Rome dear boy...

9. Ian Botham to Rodney Marsh:
    As Ian Botham prepared to bat, Aussie wicket keeper Rodney Marsh decided to put him off and was metaphorically smashed out of the ground.
    Marsh: So, how's your wife and my kids?
    Botham: The wife's fine - the kids are retarded.

10. Javed Miandad to Merv Hughes:
    Javed Miandad called Hughes a fat bus conductor during a match. A few balls later, Hughes dismissed Miandad.
    Hughes: 'Tickets please' as he ran past the departing batsman.

11. Daryll Cullinan to Shane Warne:
    Cullinan was well known as being a bit of a bunny to Warne's bowling. 
    The 2 hadn't played each other in some time so when Cullinan walked out to bat, Warne couldn't resist heckling him: "I've been waiting two years for another chance at you". 
    Cullinan got him back with a ripper: "Looks like you spent it eating..."

12. Fred Trueman to Raman Subba Row:
    Trueman was bowling and induced an edge to first slip but the ball went between Raman Subba Row's legs. The fieldsman apologised.
    Row: Sorry, Fred. I should've kept my legs together.
    Trueman: So, should your mother.