Sign in to follow this  
uk666

The Steerage

The Steerage

The-Steerage.jpg

Alfred Stieglitz (1907)

As a leader of the Photo-Secession movement, Alfred Stieglitz searched for beauty through the craftsman like creation of photographs, held pioneering exhibitions of his contemporaries, published their works and sought to have the still nascent art form taken as seriously as painting. 

But as modernism seeped into the cultural ferment in the early 20th century, Stieglitz became mesmerized by the growing cacophony of society, of rising skyscrapers and soaring airplanes, and strove to create what he termed “straight photography,” offering truthful takes on the real world. 

In 1907 he was sailing to Europe, Graflex 4x5 Large Format Camera in tow, when he set off from the first-class deck and came upon the huddled masses in the ship’s steerage. 

There, the shawled and swathed were crammed together on the compact lower deck, the skewed geometry of the ship emphasizing their claustrophobic accommodations and visually segregating them from those on the upper deck. 

“A round straw hat; the funnel leaning left, the stairway leaning right; the white drawbridge, its railings made of chain,” Stieglitz later wrote. “I stood spellbound for a while. I saw shapes related to one another—a picture of shapes, and underlying it, a new vision that held me.” 

Despite its momentary impact, Stieglitz’s photo, with its clear, unapologetic take on life, lay unnoticed for four years. 

But when he published it on the cover of his magazine Camera Work, The Steerage presented a radical way of thinking about photography’

None other than the painter Pablo Picasso admired The Steerage’s cubist sense and wrote that both he and Stieglitz were “working in the same spirit.”

• Thanks 1

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this