pras2010

windows 7 service pack

Dear Friends,

I am looking for offline service pack of windows 7 (64 bit) , please can u help as i see to set up for my son laptop for his online class.

I am reposting the request here from the other topic to get faster reply.

Thanks

Pras

Well I think more info is needed as which Service Pack (I think there was 3, But I know for sure there was SP-2)

Also I think, But not sure you can still install them online

And you can still upgrade to Windows 10 (64bit) for Free and can uninstall the junk like I did on my systems

HI,

It is windows 7 ultimate as per snapshot attached. it has service pack 1 but it takes a long time to update. With just 4 gb ram i dont think windows 10 will be smooth run on it. also i need it just for his online classes.

Please help.

Prasphoto_2020-08-05_21-49-00.jpg.458858480cc52fbe211b83c8844bb03e.jpg

Ok and this is right from MSDM Microsoft

How to obtain and install Windows 7 SP2

Since the release of Windows 7 back in 2009, hundreds of updates have been issued for the aging OS, and anyone who has done a clean install of Windows 7 knows how painful the updating process can be.

Officially, Microsoft only released a single service pack for Windows 7 - Service Pack 1 was released to the public on February 22, 2011. However, despite promising that Windows 7 would only have one service pack, Microsoft decided to release a "convenience rollup" for Windows 7 in May 2016. This single package combines all previously released updates from the release of SP1 to April 2016. So even though Microsoft isn't calling this a service pack, for all intents and purposes, it serves as one.

This article will show you how to install the convenience update (SP2 for Windows 7).

1. Prerequistes

Before installing the convenience update, make sure:

• You are running Windows 7 SP1
  • You have at least 5 GB of free space available on your system disk
  • You have installed KB3020369 (download links below)

x64Bit:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=46817

x32Bit:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=46827

2. Download (SP2 for Windows 7)

Once the prerequisites are met, you can download the convenience update (SP2 for Windows 7) from the links below.

x64Bit:

http://download.windowsupdate.com/d/msdownload/update/software/updt/2016/05/windows6.1-kb3125574-v4-x64_2dafb1d203c8964239af3048b5dd4b1264cd93b9.msu

x32Bit:

http://download.windowsupdate.com/d/msdownload/update/software/updt/2016/05/windows6.1-kb3125574-v4-x86_ba1ff5537312561795cc04db0b02fbb0a74b2cbd.msu

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Tech 425 said:

Ok and this is right from MSDM Microsoft

How to obtain and install Windows 7 SP2

Since the release of Windows 7 back in 2009, hundreds of updates have been issued for the aging OS, and anyone who has done a clean install of Windows 7 knows how painful the updating process can be.

Officially, Microsoft only released a single service pack for Windows 7 - Service Pack 1 was released to the public on February 22, 2011. However, despite promising that Windows 7 would only have one service pack, Microsoft decided to release a "convenience rollup" for Windows 7 in May 2016. This single package combines all previously released updates from the release of SP1 to April 2016. So even though Microsoft isn't calling this a service pack, for all intents and purposes, it serves as one.

This article will show you how to install the convenience update (SP2 for Windows 7).

1. Prerequistes

Before installing the convenience update, make sure:

• You are running Windows 7 SP1
  • You have at least 5 GB of free space available on your system disk
  • You have installed KB3020369 (download links below)

x64Bit:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=46817

x32Bit:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=46827

2. Download (SP2 for Windows 7)

Once the prerequisites are met, you can download the convenience update (SP2 for Windows 7) from the links below.

x64Bit:

http://download.windowsupdate.com/d/msdownload/update/software/updt/2016/05/windows6.1-kb3125574-v4-x64_2dafb1d203c8964239af3048b5dd4b1264cd93b9.msu

x32Bit:

http://download.windowsupdate.com/d/msdownload/update/software/updt/2016/05/windows6.1-kb3125574-v4-x86_ba1ff5537312561795cc04db0b02fbb0a74b2cbd.msu

Dear Friend,

Thanks for the above links, recevied in time for upcomming weekend. Will complete the updates tommorrow.

Pras

• Like 1

On 8/7/2020 at 6:58 PM, pras2010 said:

sure, thanks

pras

Installation of service pack was done smoothly, thanks for the above help.

Pras

• Like 1

Tech is right -- there are literally HUNDREDS of updates for Win7 -- and while there are some tricks you can perform to cut that number down by forcing the install of more recent Cumulative Updates, those don't always work.

Also, Win 7 is NOT supported by MS anymore, and they have not issued any security patches since February -- so unless you install third-party AV product, using it online is begging for malware!

As to the memory situation, 4GB works just fine for Win10 -- I don't know why you think you need more.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Mark Phelps said:

Tech is right -- there are literally HUNDREDS of updates for Win7 -- and while there are some tricks you can perform to cut that number down by forcing the install of more recent Cumulative Updates, those don't always work.

Also, Win 7 is NOT supported by MS anymore, and they have not issued any security patches since February -- so unless you install third-party AV product, using it online is begging for malware!

As to the memory situation, 4GB works just fine for Win10 -- I don't know why you think you need more.

Dear Mark,

Yes it is true as to what you say and i would also love to move it to win 10 but with the online classes being priority and my old laptop already having win 7, i thought it better to be updated rather than install a new version, as any compatiability issue in hardware would have affected and created problem in using it. I will update it to 10 once the classroom classes begin in couple of months.

Pras

Understand ,,, just be sure to use third-party AV product of some kind; otherwise, you are seriously risking getting the PC infected once it gets out onto the Internet.  Experiments with this in the past has shown that takes only a few MINUTES to happen!

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Mark Phelps said:

Understand ,,, just be sure to use third-party AV product of some kind; otherwise, you are seriously risking getting the PC infected once it gets out onto the Internet.  Experiments with this in the past has shown that takes only a few MINUTES to happen!

Dear Mark,

Yes, I have installed free AVG antivirus on the same and hope once the physical school starts, then i can turn the system in to win 10.  I am still looking at the latest win 10 with may 2020 update which will be easy to download.

Pras

Actually, you should AVOID Win10 v20.04 at this time -- as MS has been having SERIOUS problems with it and still have a bunch of issues they have not addressed and have provided no date to expect fixes.

You would probably do better going after Win10 v19.09 -- as that is stable and not encountering issues.  Plus, the newer the Win10 version, the less likely it will work on older Win7 PCs.

IF you post in this forum when you're ready to do that download, someone can tell you where to find an ISO file -- but understand, you must upgrade from INSIDE win7 for the upgrade to be free -- as the upgrade tool has to see Win7 already installed and running on the PC.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Mark Phelps said:

Actually, you should AVOID Win10 v20.04 at this time -- as MS has been having SERIOUS problems with it and still have a bunch of issues they have not addressed and have provided no date to expect fixes.

You would probably do better going after Win10 v19.09 -- as that is stable and not encountering issues.  Plus, the newer the Win10 version, the less likely it will work on older Win7 PCs.

IF you post in this forum when you're ready to do that download, someone can tell you where to find an ISO file -- but understand, you must upgrade from INSIDE win7 for the upgrade to be free -- as the upgrade tool has to see Win7 already installed and running on the PC.

Hi Mark,

Noted your point, I also have seen many complaints on may 2020 update, will follow your advise surely. Thanks 

Pras