trigent

laptop build opinions

I am looking at buying a new laptop. I am not a gamer, not do I need the highest end unit)  It's pretty easy to compare them based on the stated components.  But my last two laptops, dell and hp  have had problems with failing cooling fans, failed headset jack,  speaker failure, hinges breaking (causing the screen and cover to separate, etc).  So how about build quality?  eg: Lenovo thinkpads seem to have a good reputation (I am thinking of L series).  Are  they really any better than others?  Or Acer, as bad as people say?

What are your experiences, impressions of the various brands and models  regards the construction?  hinges failing, screen failure, component failure, etc.

I have a HP with 16GB of Ram and a Intel Optane with a 1TB drive and it work Great, Oh and it has the 10th Gen Intel CPU

I have had a few Lenovos. I think Thinkpads are more for business/commercial use and they seem to be built to last a long time. The Ideapads are more a consumer level laptop. I have had one of those as well.

I'm currently using an HP envy 13 that's been running almost nonstop for over 4 years - except for rebooting of course. It does have a problem with the down button on the keyboard. It doesn't work but I think there is software that I can remap a different key to perform that function.

Not a fan of HP/Compaq, Acer/gateway I avoid like COVID.

Do NOT buy a "Dell" laptop from Walmart!! But from Dell dot com only.  Wally-Dells are the cheapest crap Dell will tolerate to put their name on.  Custom built for Walmart for ONE purpose: cheapest possible.  You get what you pay for.

Personally, I wouldn't buy ANY computer from Walmart. I worked there on the "4 to 1 crew" unloading the non-food deliveries. Electronics were loaded and shipped the same way the other items were shipped. Looked like it was loaded with a snow blower.  SERIOUSLY,  Do not special order anything electronic larger than a game system box. If you do, make them hook it up to verify it works and no damage before leaving the store.

Returns are a problem with anything with a screen on it.    :(

Edited by tjj
Typos.

Thanks for the post and replies

Worked on pc's for a few years and once had a desktop on the bench that was having issues. Went online to look for new drivers to do a reinstall but found a post which said that the PC had been built exclusively for walmart and that the mother board was so bad that it would be a waste of time to do a reinstall. Never buy anything with moving parts from Walmart, or anything else if you can help it.