snagglepuss2k

pc keeps freezing

my pc keeps freezing it has no set pattern or time it just freezes, it can be anything between 5 mins to 2 hours.

the only thing i can do when it freezes is restart using the power button no keyboard buttons do anything.

my pc is using a

gigabyte board

amd athlon II x2 250 processor 3.00 GHz

4.00 gb ram

32bit win 7

any help would be appreciated

thanks

1. delete unwanted programs n free up some space in ur main drive.

2. check ur pc for virus/malware.

3. defragment ur drives.

4. try using a system restore to restore the pc to a previous good condition point

5. use an OS recovery disc to check the state of ur OS.

if none of these work i suggest u back up all ur files n format ur pc..

• Like 3

my pc keeps freezing it has no set pattern or time it just freezes, it can be anything between 5 mins to 2 hours.

the only thing i can do when it freezes is restart using the power button no keyboard buttons do anything.

my pc is using a

gigabyte board

amd athlon II x2 250 processor 3.00 GHz

4.00 gb ram

32bit win 7

any help would be appreciated

thanks

• There are several things you can do first off if you have multiple antivirus make sure u uninstall one because they use up a lot of ram and delay start up like crazy

• i suggest you download a registry cleaner tool like 360 amigo or ccleaner and let it go for a complete run

• defragment your PC just right click on c drive then tools and degfragment

• viruses and spywares can also be a cause for this so once your down with this let you antivirus update and let it go for a full system scan

• type msconfig in run and click on startup tools tab and uncheck watever you dont need to load at start of your PC

• IM pretty sure this should clean a lot of mess considering what your saying but if this does not still help you then let me know or let any one of the tech mods know we'll get cracking at it

• Like 2

I would look @ what ever U did most recently b4 UR system became unstable. Basically did U recently install a program or app just B4 these happenings? If not then my next ? would be did U move this box recently? Well if U did then I would say that something has come loose. Some of the times it is helpful 2 just disconnect all things from board & reconnect. Even the CMOS battery once all is disconnected & of-course U would have unplugged the main power from the PSU B4 doing any of the disassembly press the power button 2 drain all static power in the caps & from the BIOS. Reassemble & power-up. That could b the easy fix UR in need of. But if U havent moved the box this is NULL, but still might b worth a look. I say this because if U R not in tune with what UR temps R U could have cooked or b cooking UR chips. In the process of the tear down U should b looking for any signs of damage i.e. swollen caps on the board or damage components. Further when was the last time U gave the ol-girl a cleaning. When I do mine I re-apply thermal compound to the chips [ CPU & NorthBridge ]. Also check that all fans R working properly.

Keep us posted.

Good-Luck

dirty;p

• Like 4

follow above advice and then back to us with what you have done so far...with some details if its not working better, then we can follow a different course of action..

• Like 3

I have to agree with what has been suggested. Great places to start. One last thing is to make sure all drivers are updated. They should already be updated but run windows update again to make sure.

Let us know.

fennfam3

• Like 3

I've run all sorts of program's to find errors with no errors, ran anti virus with no results, I've even formatted my hd & done a clean install of windows trying different versions with no difference.

still the same

• Like 1

I've run all sorts of program's to find errors with no errors, ran anti virus with no results, I've even formatted my hd & done a clean install of windows trying different versions with no difference.

still the same

Well then it sounds like a hardware thing so fallow my advise. Also adding more programs wont really help just muck up the water.

Also 2 do a ram test or just remove some & test them individually.

Sometimes just re-seating the ram helps.

• Like 2

Install and run Malwarebytes antimalware. Remove all malware found.

Install spybot and run as administrator remove everything found.

Remove cmos battery and replace with new one

check ram reseat if necessary

check all cables and plugs renew if needed.

Only use ccleaner dont use registry cleaners too much the remove too much

If you reformat dont install programs until you're sure the os is stable

Don't forget windows updates but only ones that are necessary.

Only one question is your os legit...........why you ask because its likely to be more stable.

Look at where your box is located etc .

install a cpu monitoring app.

Can you see heavy usage in task manager.

do all of the things mentioned in posts above.

finally is it time for new pc or upgrades.

Update all drivers needed.

You could update bios too if there is a later version make sure you get the right version for your board though

Are you getting any beep codes, or see anything on the POST startup that catches you eye? I will say that you have a hardware problem, and it is most likely 2 things. 1, hard drive is going out. 2, RAM is bad. if you have a way to check these 2 things, I think you will find your problem.

Actually, 1 last thing to check is graphics card. if you are especially using onboard graphics the framerate could be freezing. you can just install a card and that will fix it. judging from your setup, it will be a PCIe slot. Ive been a systems administrator for 16yrs., and from what you describe, 1 of these 3 things will most likely be the problem. I really dont feel that this is a software problem, or you would have fixed it after a new install. Let us know what you find out. God Luck!!!

Parker216

_

• Like 5

one more thing you can try. Blow out your fans, might be heating problems.

I had a bad external drive once took it out of the equation and everything was fine. Running too many external periphials including drives can give you headaches too printe now networked through router externals plugged in when needed ...........I agree with parker216 ........most likely a HDD

First tell me did u place your PC in a room where dust is present ??? If yes try to place your pc in a clean room where no dust pass. In many cases freezing problem cause by heating this will happen when a proper amount of air was not provided to your processor. As you said your PC is freeze after 5 or 2 min this will prove me that there is a hardware problem as parker216 said above. First check your power supply did it provide proper amount of voltages or secondly check your processor fan did it working properly or not also check that your processor fan must not covered by dust. If yes clean it Asap and also follow what parker216 said above I hope this will help you.

I had a bad external drive once took it out of the equation and everything was fine. Running too many external periphials including drives can give you headaches too printe now networked through router externals plugged in when needed ...........I agree with parker216 ........most likely a HDD

I agree, this has happened to so many people I know and what it came down to was the HDD was starting to fail, best thing is to get a new one, put the old one in a ZIP LOCK bag (seal it) place this in the freezer for 1 week then attach it as a secondary drive to retrieve the data you want. This will keep the drive from overheating as you recover your data / software / music ect.

I know it sounds strange but trust me it works like a charm, I do this all the time for people

First of all, Check your motherboard Bios if need updates, Check your cable that connect HDD and also, I noticed you have 4GB ram, and using 32bits, try 64bits os.. Should works, also, check your video card, that might another issues?? also check any I/O Card IRQ is not conflict anything else..

Best way try get new hard drive and do not connect any other 2nd or 3rd hard drive. Just DVD Optical drive and new hard drive see what happen.. I believe your ram could be bad or wrong type of memory modules.. Double check at Gigabyte website for that motherboard! OH.. One thing, check your power supply with a PSU tester tool..

ATGPUD2003

Some good advise thus far, but try to run antivirus and antimalware while in safe-mode. Sometimes these malware apps do a great job of hiding before such programs are run. In safe-mode you have a far greater chance of finding badness than when in normal windows mode.