Sign in to follow this  
freak

Biscuit binge puts food writer Kevin Shalin into a coma

Biscuit binge puts food writer Kevin Shalin into a coma  

24 Jun 2013 00:00

Shalin, better known as The Mighty Rib, was trying to beat a restaurant record by scoffing hundreds of butter-rich cakes

ONE-USE-Kevin-Shalin-1985209.jpgKevin Shalin

A food writer trying to beat a restaurant’s customer record of scoffing hundreds of butter-rich cakes failed - and slipped into a COMA.

He was rushed to hospital in Little Rock, Arkansas, after consuming 413 Cheddar Bay Biscuits from the Red Lobster restaurant.

Doctors confirm that he slipped into a coma shortly after being admitted into the emergency room.

Kevin Shalin, better known as The Mighty Rib, joined a number of fellow food writers and critics to try the food.

Local food writer Daniel Walker said: “He sat down at the bar while we were waiting on a table and he decided to try one of the biscuits. He thought they were the most wonderful thing he ever placed in his mouth.”

ONE-USE-Cheddar-Bay-Biscuits-from-Red-LoCheddar Bay Biscuits  

Red Lobster’s signature Cheddar Bay Biscuits are given out to guests free with meals in unlimited quantities. The restaurant list the biscuits as 150 calories each.

Another guest Kelly Gee added: “I said ‘heck yeah those are free, eat as many as you want’. After about 30 I see him over asking the manager what was the record for most biscuits ate. He just came back and said ‘I think I can do 415’, and started really digging in. His beard was covered in crumbs.”

Shalin reported feeling dizzy after he had eaten 412. Friends encouraged him to stop, but he continued with 413. Immediately Shalin fell on the ground convulsing.

Doctors believe the butter from the biscuits have blocked signals coming from Shalin’s brain.

Yesterday hospital officials said they have drained approximately two gallons of butter already and expect him to make a full recovery once the rest is clear.