Sign in to follow this  
hawk32

Computer Raid Setup

I trying to setup a computer in Raid for the first time but got One issue I have 3 Hard drives 120 GB SSD, Seagate 1.5 TB,1.5 TB after format in Raid all get it's 335 GB it this right ?

The option to configure two or more hard drives in a RAID (Redundant Array of Inexpensive Disks) setup can increase performance and/or provide automatic protection against data loss from drive failure.... is what he means Vignes

So...a typical RAID 0/1 setup protects data from drive failure by simultaneously writing the same data to two hard drives. Which is what you want to do, I suppose. Since each drive is an exact duplicate of the other, you can continue working if one fails. RAID 1 offers no gain in performance but reduces available capacity by half -- two 2TB drives provide only 2TB of storage.

However, in your case...I do believe that there are controllers that allow mixing and matching capacities without losing storage space (using advanced parity techniques). Using drives of different sizes usually results in total storage capacity that's only a multiple of the smallest drive. For example, combining 120GB and 1TBGB drives in RAID 1 would be 120GB * 2, or 240GB instead of 1.2TB.

Looks close enough to your issue..

In practice, you'll save yourself a lot of time and sidestep possible issues by building your array with identical hard drives--meaning drives of the same make, model, and size. You need at least two drives for RAID 0 and 1, three drives for RAID 5, and four for RAID 0+1, 1+0, and 10

Hope this helps..

• Like 2

what type of raid do u want?

software or hardware?

if h/w then first buy a raid controller.

if it is software then follow this

1.first convert the basic disk to dynamic disk.

2.then there r three types raid configuration as daytrader said namely mirroring,stripping and raid 5(which required at least 3 hdd)

if u want i could give u a screenshot and guide uonline.

:cwrocks:

• Like 2