Sign in to follow this  
CyberAbc

What’s the right balance between code consistency and code improvement?

code_consistency.png

Consistency vs. best practice: they are two competing interests any time a dev is working on legacy code. If LINQ hasn't been used previously, should it be used today? "To what extent are patterns part of code style," Robert Johnson asks, "and where should we draw the line between staying consistent and making improvements?"

Robert Johnson continues: "With the hypothetical LINQ example, perhaps this class doesn't contain it because my colleagues are unfamiliar with LINQ? If so, wouldn't my code be more maintainable for my fellow developers if I didn't use it?"

Find the rightest right

In a case like this, you have two programming "best practices" that are opposed to each other: code consistency is important but so is choosing the best possible method to accomplish your task. There is no one correct answer to this dilemma; it depends on a couple factors:

How beneficial is the "correct" way?

Sometimes the new and improved best practice will dramatically increase performance, eliminate bugs, be far easier to program, etc. In such a case, I would lean heavily toward using the new method. On the other hand, the "correct way" may be little more than syntactic sugar or an agreed idiomatic method of doing something that is not actually superior. In that case, code consistency is probably more important.

How big of a problem would inconsistency create?

How interconnected is the new code with legacy code? Is your new code part of a library? Does it create an object that gets passed to many parts of the program? In cases like these, consistency is very important. Using a new API, or a new way of doing things in general, might create subtly different results that break assumptions elsewhere in your program. On the other hand, if you are writing a fairly isolated piece of code, inconsistency is less likely to be a problem.

Also ask yourself: how large and how mature is your code base? How many developers need to understand it and work on it? Agreed-upon, consistent standards are much more important for larger projects.

Does the code need to run in older environments that may not support the latest features?

Based on the balance of these issues, you have to make the right choice about which route to take. I personally see little value in consistency for consistency's sake and would prefer to use the latest, best methods unless there is a significant cost to do so.

Of course, there is a third option: rewriting the existing code so that it uses the best methods and is consistent. There are times when this is necessary, but it comes with a high cost.

The latest and greatest is usually the greatest

Staying consistent has little value in my perspective; continuously making improvements is a must.

Your colleague's position really impedes innovation. The consistency argument gets you into a situation where you can use, for example, LINQ only if you migrate all code to use LINQ. And well, we don't have time for this, do we?

I'd rather have inconsistency where some code is still doing foreach over ArrayLists and other parts use LINQ on IEnumerable, instead of sticking to the oldest way of doing things until the end of time.

It's your colleagues' responsibility to stay relevant and learn new ways of doing things.