Sign in to follow this  
Omnion

Arctic Terning Nasty: When Seabirds Attack

In scenes reminiscent of the Alfred Hitchcock classic film The Birds, thousands of Arctic terns nesting on the isolated Farne Islands, on the coast of Northumberland, are swooping down and attacking visitors.

The attacks have forced people to wear hats and take cover under jackets.

Even keen bird watchers trying to photograph the terns have been targeted.

Will Scott, National Trust Ranger, said: "The Terns are 'pecking head', as it were, to protect their eggs and also to protect their chicks.

"Obviously they nest quite close to the board walk which gives them a bit of protection from the gulls who come and take their eggs.

"It's a bit of a love hate relationship because the humans that are protecting them by chasing away the gulls are also quite close to their eggs which is why they are pecking head and can drop a little present on you as well."

The pecking has not put off tourists, who continue to visit the islands in their droves.

One visitor said: "I think they're fantastic, it is the first time I have been for years. I'm not scared, what's the point in being scared, they're just friendly. I really love them."

Another said: "They are absolutely fantastic, this is the second time I have been and I'd recommend it to anybody, it really is fantastic."

When asked about visitors being scared of the birds, she said: "They know what they're coming into, they should be prepared and bring a hat. It's no good hitting the birds, they are just protecting their nest."

The Farne Islands are a group of 20 islands and are home to hundreds of seals and one of Britain's largest sea bird colonies.

Will Scott said: "The Farne Islands are really important for Arctic tern. We are one of the largest colonies in England and one of the most successful as well.

"The presence of people makes the terns a lot more successful, a lot more collective as a colony and produce a lot more chicks because of the lack of predators who come and steal their chicks while they are raising them."