Sign in to follow this  
Omnion

Great North Swim For Late Lee Halpin: Best Friend Raises Funds To Finish Film

Matt Guthery from Newcastle, who was a best friend to Lee Halpin for over ten years, is training every day in preparation for the event.

Sponsorship will help continue the Stepping Outside documentary that Lee Halpin was working on when he died sleeping rough on the streets of Newcastle.

A qualified personal trainer, 25-year-old Matt described the need to finish the film as "imperative" adding: "I treat it like a full time job.

"When Lee passed away it just left this horrible, empty, completely hopeless feeling and it's not really sunk in yet but that is what is driving me at the minute.

"Every time I cycle to work, every time I get in the pool, every time I see a picture of him, I couldn't ask for a bigger inspiration or fire to go towards doing it.

"We both loved sport, both supported the Toon and played for the same football teams. Both of us approached every kind of sporting situation in the same way, go hard or go home.

"He'd probably say I wasn't training hard enough just to motivate me even more. He was a great person to know and I hope I can do him proud."

Matt is working alongside a group of Lee Halpin's friends who vowed to finish the documentary he started working on in early 2013.

He is planning further fundraising challenges later in the year, including a Tough Mudder obstacle course and an Epic Swim in Cumbria.