Sign in to follow this  
freak

Blyth vicar lead “flashmob” dance after wedding

Blyth vicar lead “flashmob” dance after wedding in viral sensation video  

23 Jun 2013 15:20

Three-minute video shows the gobsmacked congregation joining in as vicar shocks them with astonishing disco celebration

I130622_135949_1085136oTextCS_43469401-1

Bride and groom Gary and Tracy Richardson got their loved ones dancing in the aisle by putting a twist on their traditional wedding.

The Sunday People can reveal that fun-loving Gary, 48, and Tracy, 37, found the perfect partner to make their dreams of a ­disco-themed marriage come true – vicar Kate Bottley.

A three-minute video shows Kate declaring them man and wife then breaking into a dance routine to club classic Everybody Dance Now by C&C Music Factory.

She is quickly joined by the couple and then the 100 congregation join in too at St Mary’s and St Martin’s, in Blyth, Notts.

Now the video is proving a web hit in the style of a “flashmob” – a big impromptu public ­dance that become internet sensastion.

Tracy said: “We have been ­together for 11 years and engaged for eight and never got round to getting married. As soon as we met Kate, we knew she was exactly the type of vicar we wanted to marry us. She was amazing.

“When we were rehearsing for last weekend’s service, she half heartedly suggested doing a flashmob. We had no hesitation.

“Now we see how well it worked and how the ­congregation got ­involved, we were obviously right.

She added: “The look on some people’s faces when Kate started and we joined in was a picture.”

The music also included Kool & The Gang’s Celebration – although one apt disco tune was missed: I’ve GOD the Power by Snap.

About 30 in the church knew about the fun plan.

Tracy said: “We’ve been watching it and laughing so much. There’s a tall guy at the back from work who is in IT called Big Dave and it takes him a lot to get going, but even he starts to move.”

Even the two elderly ladies who left half-way through

the dance session, were happy with the outcome of the ordinary proceedings – even though they look a bit miffed.

“It was just Aunty Eileen taking Aunt Betty to the loo,” said Tracy.

Kate, 38, loves food, real ale and stand-up comedy and was happy be in the video and show that the Church of England can be fun.

She said: “We had a great time. I do about 30 weddings a year and I’m happy to accommodate what people want at their weddings.

“Some want to have their dogs outside so they can get them in the photos. As long as it’s within reason I’ll do what they want to make the day memorable.

“I’m known for having an unconventional approach but I was joking when I said I wanted a flashmob at a wedding. But they went for it.

“We were in rehearsals for eight weeks and Tracy and Gary worked really hard on it with their family and friends from Blu Crew who raise funds for Sheffield’s Bluebell Wood Children’s Hospital.

“We did make sure it was done sensitively and waited until they had exchanged their vows before starting. There is a balance to be struck. The Church of England has a reputation of being a bit grumpy, but that’s not what we want. 

“We believe passionately in marriage and its importance but that doesn’t mean there shouldn’t be some room for fun.

“Inevitably there will be some people who will come along and complain, ­especially with a girl vicar.”