freak

Scientists create glow-in-the-dark rabbits

Scientists create glow-in-the-dark rabbits

Wednesday, 14 August 2013 (3 days ago)

1825-Scientists-create-glow-in-the-dark-by Peter Faretra email_small.png

A Team of scientist from Hawaii and Turkey have successfully cloned a colony of transgenic rabbits that glow bright green under ultra violet light, which may lead to new ways of producing medicine

In total, eight rabbits were born, two of which carried the transgenic genes from a species of jellyfish that naturally produces the florescent proteins.

Dr Stefan Moisyadi, biogenesis researcher, University of Hawaii, said: “The animals are like an LED light. The greenness is shining right through their fur. It’s so intense.”

The jellyfish DNA is used as a visual marker to show that a gene, which was implanted into an embryo, is now being expressed in the animal.

The goal is to combine the marker DNA with medically useful genes, implant them into larger animals and use them as bioreactors producing human medicines, which would normally cost billions of dollars to create.

“For patients who suffer from hemophilia and they need the blood clotting enzymes in their blood, we can make those enzymes a lot cheaper in animals,” Dr Moisyadi explained.

The rabbits were bred in Istanbul, Turkey, because of ”hysteria and fear” in the US and that some people think, “transgenic animals should not be used for anything,” Dr Moisyadi added.

The team now intends on replicating the experiment to produce the first transgenic lamb in November.

• Like 1

The practice to push 'doubtful' business practices basing them in less 'attentive' countries, which have bigger financial concerns, was introduced by the East India Company and seems to flourish brightly nowadays. Nothing new under the sun, alas... Even if I hope that the synthetic meat produce, with all its lateral implications concerning the possibility of direct genetic experimentation on stems and cells, may overcome the direct use of living beings in those kind of affairs...

But then, someone may came up saying that even a cell has a soul. and my judgement may change....

Hmmm,I wonder if they tried this on a human being,..will they glow in the dark too? Lol!

I'm thinking to possible applications... Bikers, joggers, traffic cops.... nobody will be ran over again! :D

...and it's safe for the environment with a low carbon footprint and no extra energy consumption! Fantastic!