Sign in to follow this  
freak

Woman revived after 42 Minutes 'clinically dead'

Woman revived after 42 Minutes 'clinically dead'

074289-miracle.jpg
Leeson Rob / HeraldSun
Vanessa Tanasio with children Ella and Max. Ms Tanasio was clinically dead for 42 minutes after suffering a cardiac arrest. Her life was saved by the Monash Heart Team.
Irresistible Headlines

By Carissa Loethen

A miraculous story out of Australia.

Through the efforts of determined doctors and a neat high-tech mechanical CPR machine, 41-year-old mother of two, Vanessa Tanasio was brought back to life after being clinically dead for 42 minutes. (Video via TVABCD)

"The fact that thing kept me going and I'm here and I can talk about it is just phenomenal.” (Via ABC Australia)

That thing she’s referring to is the LUCAS 2 External Compression device, and doctors credit it for helping save the mother’s life.

The $15,000 device performs automated compressions to a person’s chest so that oxygen can be steadily circulating to the brain and heart. (Via Physio-Control Inc)

While getting her kids ready for school, Tanasio suffered a heart attack.

Tanasio’s mother called emergency paramedics. Shortly after arriving to the Monash Medical Centre in Melbourne, Tanasio went into cardiac arrest and was declared clinically dead. (Via Herald Sun)

But doctors didn’t give up. The LUCAS 2 device kept blood flowing to her brain, while a cardiologist worked to unblock an artery. (Video via YouTube / TheSuperNews247)

“... Once un-blocked, they shocked her heart back into a normal rhythm. Forty-two minutes!” (Via KSL)

ABC reports it is believed the hospital Tanasio went to, Monash Medical Center, is the only hospital in Australia to have the LUCAS 2 device.

And the Sydney Morning Herald says the hospital actually just got the machine through a fundraising drive.

• Like 2