CyberGod

Setting Up Hotmail On Android

y7B4vk4.png

Although Ice Cream Sandwich has been out for quite a while now, it seems to have a bit of a problem setting up email accounts; especially Hotmail. I’m sure most of you finally got your ICS update (my condolences to those of you still stuck with Gingerbread or lower) and were disappointed that your device couldn’t set up the most simple of things: Email. You probably faced a ”can’t connect to server” error and after meticulously double-checking your email address, password fields and various other settings, eventually gave up. Apparently, Microsoft has decided to change its Hotmail servers and this gives Android a problem when trying to connect to the server.

After doing some research, I found a way to set up email. I’ve outlined how to set up your Hotmail on an ICS device below. Now since there are various sorts of accouts (@hotmail.com, @hotmail.co.uk, @live.com, @outlook.com etc.) and Hotmail/Outlook generally just sucks, this will be a slightly complication how-to article. If none of these methods work, let me know in the comments and I’ll do my best to help you.

THE OBVIOUS ONE:

This method is the first thing you need to try. Open up your Email application and just type in your Email Address and Password. If it works, congratulations! How easy was that?

2-email-password.png?resize=337%2C600

THE (SOMEWHAT) UNIVERSAL ONE:

Since you’re still reading, I’m guessing that it didn’t work. This process has many different variations so make sure you follow each step carefully.

1. Open your Email application
  2. Type in your email address and password.
  3. Once you’ve typed in your details, tap on “Manual Setup”.
  4. Select “Exchange” from the list of options

Fill out the fields as indicated below. Start with METHOD 1 and follow all the instructions. If it works, move on to step 6. If it doesn’t work, try METHOD 2. If it works, move on to step 6. If that doesn’t work, try METHOD 3. If that doesn’t work either, try the POP3/SMTP one.

3-manual-setup.png?resize=337%2C600 4-what-account.png?resize=337%2C600 5-filled-fields1.png?resize=337%2C600

METHOD 1

DomainUsername: delete the and type in your full email address
Password: type in your password
Server: type in debug-m.hotmail.com
Make sure “Use secure connection (SSL)” is checked

METHOD 2

Server: type in m.hotmail.com

METHOD 3

Server: type in blu-m.hotmail.com

1. Once you’ve inputted all the required information, tap on “Next”
  2. Choose whatever options you want (how frequently it should check for email, how much it should sync etc.). Tap on “Next”
  3. A little loading icon may appear as it syncs your email account.
  4. Congratulations! Your email is all set up and you can now set a name for the mailbox

THE POP3/SMTP ONE:

If the first  two methods haven’t worked for you, then hopefully, this one should solve your problems.

1. Open your Email application
  2. Type in your email address and password.
  3. Once you’ve typed in your details, tap on “Manual Setup”.
  4. Select “POP3” from the list of options
  5. You’ll see a screen asking you to fill out the fields for POP3. Fill them out as indicated below then tap “Next”.

2013-06-06-19.07.28.png?resize=337%2C600

1. Username: type in your full email address
  2. Password: type in your password
  3. POP3 Server: type in pop3.live.com
  4. Port: 995
  5. Security Type: SSL/TLS

Now you’ll see a screen asking you to fill out the fields for SMPT. Fill them out as indicated below then tap “Next”.

2013-06-06-19.08.28.png?resize=337%2C600

1. SMTP Server: smtp.live.com
  2. Port: 587
  3. Security Type: STARTTLS
  4. Make sure “Require sign-in” is checked.
  5. Username: type in your full email (this should already be filled in)
  6. Password: type in your password (this should already be filled in)

Choose whatever options you want (how frequently it should check for email, how much it should sync etc.). Tap on “Next”.

A little loading icon may appear as it syncs your email account.

Congratulations! Your email is all set up and you can now set a name for the mailbox

7-after-setup.png?resize=337%2C600  8-account-is-set-up.png?resize=337%2C600

Your account should be completely set up by now. It should be syncing your email as you read this very sentence. This should work with most accounts and has been tested with @hotmail.com and @hotmail.co.uk email accounts. If you really need your email urgently, you could always download the official Outlook app.

• Like 1

Very nice tutorial! Thanks for the info. Cheers :D