Sign in to follow this  
ghostxdreams2

Foods for saint paddys day

"I bet at least 80 percent of households are going to have leg of lamb,” Armstrong predicted. After all, it’s nearly springtime; lambs are ready for slaughter and peas and carrots are in season. “A leg of lamb feeds a good-sized Catholic family, which almost everyone in Ireland [has],” he said, although it might be a smaller “rack of lamb if they weren’t listening at the pulpit when they said, ‘Have as many kids as possible.’”

Armstrong estimated the remaining 20 percent might enjoy a whole Atlantic salmon, which has a long history in Ireland and is richly featured in the country’s folklore. One Celtic legend tells of a druid named Finegas, who for years waited by the banks of a river for the arrival of the "Salmon of Knowledge." When he finally traps the fish, he hands it to his pupil Fionn to cook. But Fionn accidentally burns himself on the hot fish and sucks his thumb, thus gaining the salmon’s immense knowledge for himself.

If all else fails, there’s nothing wrong with a good Irish stew. But just make sure to use lamb rather than beef, and braise the stew for a few hours instead of simply bringing it to boil.

"[boiled foods] aren’t really a fair representation of the food of the peasant people of Ireland," Armstrong said. "They had braised hearty dishes that matched the climate."

Below, enjoy three recipes from Armstrong’s new cookbook, "My Irish Table." As Armstrong says, these “aren’t your typical diddle-idle-doodishes.”

https://www.yahoo.com/food/skip-the-corned-beef-and-cook-up-an-authentic-st-79559217621.html

I had so much trouble getting Lamb in the US, and when I did it was so expensive....

Gotta love a Lamb Roast...

• Like 1

No lamb imports from new zealand? how weird...try going to a jamaica restaurant...they should be able to get their hands on some...being as mutton is one of their favourite ingredients

• Like 1