inhiway

Finnish Couple Wins Wife Carrying World Championship

Finnish Couple Wins Wife Carrying World Championship

HELSINKI — A Finnish couple has narrowly won the 19th Wife Carrying World Championships — a quirky competition in which men race to be the fastest while carrying a female teammate.

Ville Parviainen and Janette Oksman cleared the grueling 253.5 meter (278-yard) obstacle course in 63.75 seconds on Saturday, less than a second ahead of Britain's Rich Blake Smith and Anna Marguerite Smith.

Thirty-six couples from a dozen countries including Australia, Japan, and the United States took part in the race, which was held in the central Finnish municipality of Sonkajarvi, north of the capital, Helsinki.

finnishrace1.jpg

finnishrace2.jpg

Second placed Rich and Anna Marguerite Smith of Great Britain, front, participate in the annual Wife Carrying World Championships in Sonkajaervi, Finland, on July 5.

The rules stipulate that the woman must be over 17 years of age and weigh at least 108 pounds. In years past, the winner's were rewarded with their wife's weight in beer.

Despite the event's name couples don't have to be married, and organizers say male contestants could "borrow a neighbor's wife" if they didn't have a female companion.

The men can carry their teammate in various ways, though a popular method is for the woman to hang upside-down with her legs around the male contestant's shoulders.

Finland has established itself as a prime venue for unusual events including international air guitar, swamp soccer and mobile phone throwing competitions.

-- The Associated Press
First published July 5th 2014, 5:35 pm

http://www.nbcnews.com/pop-culture/pop-culture-news/finnish-couple-wins-wife-carrying-world-championship-n148896

I know this is silly, but I couldn't help myself from posting this.  Besides, the devil made me do it.  :rofl

• Like 2

When I was married I could of won The Mobile Phone Throwing Competition ;)

• Like 2

When I was married I could of won The Mobile Phone Throwing Competition ;)

I hope that wasn't back in the days of the brick mobile phones.  If it is, I don't want to be around you when when you're mad.   LOL

• Like 2

just curious but in the second picture, the background couple in the pool,... How is that hat staying there on her thigh.?. Something has a grip on it...

• Like 1

I'd imagine by now that hat is pretty soaked and has some weight to it, holding it against that thigh.

• Like 1