Sign in to follow this  
uk666

kingfisher - one in a million pictures

kingfisher - one in a million pictures

1.jpg

A picture of a kingfisher hovering above the water moments before diving for a fish has been described as a "once in a lifetime" shot by wildlife experts.

The bird was captured by keen amateur photographer Paul Gregory, from Clifton, at Attenborough Nature Reserve in Nottinghamshire, England on Saturday morning.

Mr Gregory, 57, said the image, which has been shared widely on social media, was a case of being in the "right place at the right time".

Tim Sexton, a manager at the Nottinghamshire Wildlife Trust-run reserve, said to capture the bird in an angel-like pose was extremely rare.

2.jpg

The trust said birdwatchers usually only see a "flash of blue" as the bird flies past.

Mr Gregory, who had been sitting in a hide for about two hours before seeing the bird, said: "I didn't expect [to see any kingfishers] as the water was a bit weedy.

"Then I had the first sighting at about 9 and then I got that display.

"It was so rewarding as in the last year I've had nothing. Patience is a virtue."

Mr Sexton said most pictures of kingfishers, which hunt for minnows and sticklebacks in shallow pools of water, show them perching.

"Action shots like this don't happen that often," he said. "It's a real top quality picture and a one in a million shot."

3.jpg

• Thanks 1

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this